Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2024, 12:54 PM

3 posts, read 1,589 times

Advertisements

Not long ago I bought a house and it ended up having hidden issues.
Unfortunately with the housing market not being at its best, I am stuck here.

Right now I need someone to replace a bathtub & fix the plumbing connected to it. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good plumber/plumbing company? I am not sure how much can I trust online ratings.

Thank you for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2024, 01:13 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,129,168 times
I've used KB Plumbing a few times now and Ben has been great. He has been dependable and upfront, I'd trust him to do any of my work. We had them do a commercial kitchen install in our basement a couple years ago which was a pain but they were willing to help us work through it. I just used them again this past fall for a major sewer issue that required excavation. I can't say they are the cheapest (they were way cheaper for our commercial work but that wasn't normal) but they've been upfront on options and honest, brought some other unknown issues up to code and we've had no problems since.

https://kbplumbingpgh.com/

Old 02-07-2024, 01:17 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,915,413 times
I recently had some work done by Cheddar's Plumbing and found them to be really great.

https://www.cheddarsplumbingco.com

Old 02-07-2024, 02:20 PM

3 posts, read 1,589 times
Thank you both. I will reach out to both companies to see what they suggest.

I am not worried so much about the price , but I do worry about quality. The main reason why there are issues with the house is because previous owners made cheap , low quality updates.

Old 02-08-2024, 10:19 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,024 times
If you use a fiberglass tub or shower make sure it gets set in mortar. I have replaced way too many over my career that were not done that way.

Old 02-08-2024, 10:37 AM

10,811 posts, read 4,506,581 times
you dont need a plumber, you need a 'carpenter'. Hooking up the drain and the supply lines is not worth the plumbers bill

what you REALLY want is the RIGHT tub, set in the RIGHT way.

Old 02-09-2024, 05:38 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,898,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
you dont need a plumber, you need a 'carpenter'. Hooking up the drain and the supply lines is not worth the plumbers bill.
Illegal in Allegheny County. Plumbing work must be done by a licensed plumber.
If the OP does this above board with a licensed plumber who files for a permit, then ACHD Plumbing Inspector will go out to make sure that the work WAS done correctly - thus providing peace of mind about their investment.

Old 02-09-2024, 07:01 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,129,168 times
People hate rules but they are there for a reason. I deal with contractors and subs all the time, if someone is willing to break the rules for you they are also more likely to take advantage of you too.

Old 02-09-2024, 12:25 PM

10,811 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Illegal in Allegheny County. Plumbing work must be done by a licensed plumber.
If the OP does this above board with a licensed plumber who files for a permit, then ACHD Plumbing Inspector will go out to make sure that the work WAS done correctly - thus providing peace of mind about their investment.

nah you AS A CONTRACTOR just need your PA HIC reg thru the DoS(which is just a fee, make sure your not a criminal, have not had previous fraud or bankruptcys and carry the proper insurance) and of course to work on govt, rentals or official contract bids you have to be unionized - in that county and have a master plumber. But this does not apply here.

you do need a permit in some pa countries - AC is one - (which almost no one gets, AC only processes about 14K plumbing permits per year cuz only 14000 people per year visit the home depot or lowes plumbing section wink wink nudge nudge.) and they will inspect it on the back end - maybe - and NO ONE ever does the yearly recerts (for a fee). In AC IIRC its about 50 bux and the inspection fees and YOU get it, not the contractor.

but back to the topic

Trust me on this as a contracting company owner, you NEED that right tub, in the right place, rightly and the requirements for floor structure have increased GREATLY. Once you pull the tub the grandfather leaves and you may need to tear up the floor to comply - especially if it is old pittsburgh. A bath tub of water pushes 700lbs plus you on a floor how old. IT is the heaviest psf load in your house flooring

If you feel you need a master to hook it up, fine, but that is the EASY part.

If you have questions, just peruse article 15 of the AC plumbing code. This is where it gets ugly cuz I guarantee if your house was built one minute before 1970 and in many cases, the 80s you do not have rodent protection, backup protection nor compliant materials and you dont want to get forced into it if you can avoid it.

if your house is old and the tub is porcelain steel, it is going to weigh as much as a v6 engine and it was put in BEFORE the door and BEFORE the wall finishing. If your house is old pittsburgh the entry door could be 22-24 inches rough opening meaning exiting could be a problem and if it is into a wall then the tiling and cement board was done AFTER to cover the lip edge, therefore you are going to most likely lose it. I can push some contractors your way, including ones that have their general, plumbing and electrical - that I know and have worked with personally. Off the top of my head, my number 1 req: contact Matt at Flow Drain....he does it all up to complete flips and it takes a while to get on his schedule. He is based out of and licensed in AC. I dont know if you mentioned WHERE in AC....it can make quite the difference as miles*4 = daytime travel time in pitt and it figures in the quote.

Old 02-10-2024, 05:59 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,898,379 times
The information above is not correct in terms of legality in Allegheny County, or accuracy. I dont appreciate that I called out inaccurate information, that may result in adverse legal and financial consequences for the OP, and a moderator saw fit to delete my post while allowing the misinformation to remain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh