Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2024, 06:41 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,467,324 times

Advertisements

I wonder if the Monroeville Mall would be doing better if they still had the ice rink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2024, 08:30 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,051,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
I wonder if the Monroeville Mall would be doing better if they still had the ice rink.
thats a great question. i'd say that it would NOT, however.

i think having the skating rink might not pay for itself, what with the maintenance needed for it.

and, in the heyday of these malls, people went there to make an afternoon out of it. i just dont see enough people using the mall and spending enough money (and free time) that retail in addition to an amenity like a skating rink is viable.

i guess those were the days when people had, well, LESS, and a fun at the mall went a long way for the kids and their entertainment.

i wonder how Mall of America or that super sized one in Edmonton, Alberta are doing these days.

Old 03-03-2024, 08:00 AM

1,910 posts, read 736,911 times
Nothing can compete with the internet.

Old 03-03-2024, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 280 times
Ricketts Glen State Park

Old 03-04-2024, 04:57 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,888,515 times
The decline began when Monroeville kicked out Westinghouse. The money left. The city has become a haven for Pittsburgh's poor and immigrants.

Old 03-04-2024, 08:26 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,955,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
The decline began when Monroeville kicked out Westinghouse. The money left. The city has become a haven for Pittsburgh's poor and immigrants.
This could not be farther from the truth. Westinghouse decided that Cranberry Township was a better fit and built a al new campus there.

Where is this poor / immigrant haven located? Monroeville has always had a Black, Arab, and Indian population. Are you referring to illegal immigrants or what?

Old 03-04-2024, 08:50 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,539,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
This could not be farther from the truth. Westinghouse decided that Cranberry Township was a better fit and built a al new campus there.

Old 03-04-2024, 09:08 AM

10,833 posts, read 4,513,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post

Where is this poor / immigrant haven located? Monroeville has always had a Black, Arab, and Indian population. Are you referring to illegal immigrants or what?

what 'westinghouse' are we talking in the area? the nuke research building off the parkway? or the energy center by the TP? most/almost all of that defense research work is at bettis now as westinghouse is no longer an american company and we kinda have rulz on who can talk about what. and since the non-military nuke biz took a dive in the US and its now candian, or the energy center by the TP? or the breaker plant in trafford or the air brake plant in the 'ding?

I dont think the folk in monroeville are to blame, although with the unrestrained building of Stalins in the town are most of the residents renters now? It is not in any way the same town/area my dad lived in and 2 of my siblings schooled in.

It seems to me that the problems they complain about are from Penn Hills and the TCV. Its not hard to come up over the hill...

In the last week or so there has been exactly no more new news from what I reported...that $$ and those people are gone forever....

Old 03-04-2024, 11:07 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,955,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
what 'westinghouse' are we talking in the area? the nuke research building off the parkway? or the energy center by the TP? most/almost all of that defense research work is at bettis now as westinghouse is no longer an american company and we kinda have rulz on who can talk about what. and since the non-military nuke biz took a dive in the US and its now candian, or the energy center by the TP? or the breaker plant in trafford or the air brake plant in the 'ding?

I dont think the folk in monroeville are to blame, although with the unrestrained building of Stalins in the town are most of the residents renters now? It is not in any way the same town/area my dad lived in and 2 of my siblings schooled in.

It seems to me that the problems they complain about are from Penn Hills and the TCV. Its not hard to come up over the hill...

In the last week or so there has been exactly no more new news from what I reported...that $$ and those people are gone forever....
Not sure how Penn Hills can be blamed for the perceived Monroeville decline. Penn Hills is the largest municipality after Pittsburgh proper. Monroeville is very dependent on Penn Hills shoppers since Penn Hills failed to develop a dense commercial district outside of the dated Penn Hills Shopping Center.

I will assume that TCV = Turtle Creek Valley. I would not blame the disadvantaged for Monroeville's demise. It is an older auto centric suburb with dated housing stock.

Old 03-04-2024, 11:46 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,015,156 times
To a certain extent, Monroeville going more downscale was inevitable. It's been built out since the mid 1970s. There's nowhere to build new housing, unless you tear down old houses or build subdivisions in former commercial/industrial sites. The housing stock is modest (and mid-century homes aren't really in high demand). Schools are middle-of-the-road in terms of perceived quality, and the commute options into the city aren't great (since 376 is a mess during rush hour). In general the "choice suburbs" have all shifted to the north/west/south - nothing in the eastern suburbs is dynamic these days (which is ironic, as the East End is the strongest part of the city).

That said, Monroeville is far from having the issues of the Mon Valley, or even of sections of Penn Hills. Just because it's become a popular landing spot for the black middle class priced out of the East End of Pittsburgh does not mean it's transforming into a ghetto. There is very little vacancy across the borough, as it remains a popular area to both rent and own.

As I've noted before, even if you presume the worst about white flight, there just aren't enough black people left in the East End left for a "great replacement." All the black parts of the East End combined have less than 20,000 black residents. This is roughly equal to the entire white population of Monroeville. And black Pittsburghers leaving the East End also go to the Mon Valley, Penn Hills, Verona, Plum, West Mifflin, etc.

I'm not sure how immigrants in Monroeville are an issue either. The area has had a small, but growing South Asian population for generations, which is helping to define the borough.

Monroeville will grow more diverse in 2030 and onward, but times have changed from the mid 20th century, and we're not going to have another round of catastrophic white flight, just a slow diversification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh