Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-29-2024, 07:21 AM
 
Location: Western PA
10,811 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Reputation: 6664

Advertisements

In the last week the convention center pulled the plug on scheduled events, some will still go off, others are cancelled (no more close train show!)


No more concerts as well I guess. This was the place where I got to intro DW to long time fav Donnie Iris.


Now the hotel (which I had stayed at before I moved back) closed abruptly, threw guests out, cancelled bookings and events. DW notes on some FB based page that someone in the know says it will be migrant sanctuary?


And of course the olde convention center that abuts it, stopped being such decades ago...on my 19th bday some hill jack friends from up north came down when I was in college we went there just to hang out and all 5 of us met 5 girls at the cosmetology show and just went out....the good ole teen years.



Monroeville council is clueless and mad, but powerless. The CC returned booking money, the hotel has NOT (yet)


And, in the Macy closures announced rumor says this one will close as well due to the crime, shootings etc and overall negative light...


I grew up at this mall...shopped at Kmart (At home today) foir 'movie food', walked past Cochranes (it used to be here long before it took over the 'miracle mile kaufmans') saw movies for free each weekend at the showcase, was around for the zombie film, wrote programs in the radio shack...etc etc (dad lived behind teds gulf - now NTB) and that whole area was our stomping grounds each weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-29-2024, 07:54 AM
 
Location: southwestern PA
22,558 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Reputation: 48143
ah, nevermind.

No need to get sucked into drama and rumors.

Last edited by Pitt Chick; 02-29-2024 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: no need to take the bait...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2024, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Western PA
10,811 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Reputation: 6664
ETA too late: goodhousekeeping.com is running a state by state tally of the closures 2024/25/and 26 as they discover them. no stores in PA on on their list yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2024, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Reputation: 27255
Wasn't the same posted months/a year ago or more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2024, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Reputation: 10634
A lot of rumours out there. But the real scoop is financial mismanagement by the hotel owners. Read it on facebook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2024, 09:53 AM
 
15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Reputation: 30932
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
In the last week the convention center pulled the plug on scheduled events, some will still go off, others are cancelled (no more close train show!)


No more concerts as well I guess. This was the place where I got to intro DW to long time fav Donnie Iris.


Now the hotel (which I had stayed at before I moved back) closed abruptly, threw guests out, cancelled bookings and events. DW notes on some FB based page that someone in the know says it will be migrant sanctuary?


And of course the olde convention center that abuts it, stopped being such decades ago...on my 19th bday some hill jack friends from up north came down when I was in college we went there just to hang out and all 5 of us met 5 girls at the cosmetology show and just went out....the good ole teen years.



Monroeville council is clueless and mad, but powerless. The CC returned booking money, the hotel has NOT (yet)


And, in the Macy closures announced rumor says this one will close as well due to the crime, shootings etc and overall negative light...


I grew up at this mall...shopped at Kmart (At home today) foir 'movie food', walked past Cochranes (it used to be here long before it took over the 'miracle mile kaufmans') saw movies for free each weekend at the showcase, was around for the zombie film, wrote programs in the radio shack...etc etc (dad lived behind teds gulf - now NTB) and that whole area was our stomping grounds each weekend.

The whole retail environment has changed, and is changing. I have to be honest I haven’t been in a Macy’s and I can’t even say how long. My husband died almost 5 years ago, and years before that one of our clients gifted us a Macy’s gift card. When we went to Macy’s, in California where we used to live, it was extremely difficult to find anything to use that gift certificate on. The high-end women’s clothing was poorly made. My husband had no interest in any of their clothing. I think I ended up using it on some housewares and some Fiestaware when it went on sale. And even that was difficult because at that point we were portion controlling and I didn’t need a 25 ounce cereal bowl.

I don’t think I’m alone in this. At this point, I shop a lot at Target and have not set foot in that store two years. I do everything online and I go pick it up. When my favorite candy store (See’s) opened a pop-up shop at the Ross Park Mall at Christmas, I went and purchased a pound and walked around the whole mall. So I don’t have to do that ever again. Including See’s. I really think Betsy Ann is better. I can buy a couple of pieces. Much healthier than buying a pound and eating the whole thing.

My retail experience at this point is Costco, JoAnn’s and my local quilt store which is actually an hour away in Finleyville, Quilters Corners. Great place. Great selection, great staff. Nice ride.

When the Macy’s closings started happening several years back, the head of Macy’s came out on one of the business channels and was talking about it because the minute you start scaling back everybody starts screaming “this is it, we’re all gonna die”, and said that we have way too much retail space allocated in our country. He quoted stats — in Europe, they have about 1.7 ft.² per person of retail space. In the USA we have around 7 ft.² per person. And people aren’t shopping like they used to. The indoor mall concept is going away in a lot of places. And for an indoor mall to work it has to be pretty special and high-end. I will grant you, Ross Park is very busy on the weekends. But on the weekdays it’s pretty empty.

We’re not going back to that style of retail. Retail must change. And that change is closing stores that are under performing, and putting in the store the merchandise that does sell. And this is happening not just at Macy’s — a rather popular Nordstrom’s where I used to live, closed at a rather high-end mall. Pretty much killed the mall. I think there’s one Sears left and two Kmart’s. And if you look at their foot traffic there’s a reason these stores closed. Nobody is shopping there. They can’t pay their bills.

The whole Sears/KMart thing is just beyond the pale to me. I don’t understand why they don’t stick a pin in it and take it out. But they must have a dollar to suck out of it still.

But I do agree with you that this stuff could’ve been handled better.
__________________
Solly says — Be nice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2024, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Marshall-Shadeland, Pittsburgh, PA
32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Reputation: 19101
As Adele would shriek at us all "RUMOR HAS IT!"

No, the hotel didn't close to "house the illegals". It was terribly financially mismanaged (I saw the same Facebook post that Copanut saw).
No, the convention center isn't closing because Monroeville is a ghetto. The developer decided to replace the convention center with Hobby Lobby.

It's no secret that out of the North Hills, South Hills, West Hills (Moon, Findlay, Robinson, etc.) or East Hills (Monroeville, Wilkins Township, Plum, Churchill, etc.) that the East Hills is the most socioeconomically-distressed. With that being said Monroeville itself is stable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2024, 05:01 PM
 
Location: Western PA
10,811 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Reputation: 6664
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

No, the hotel didn't close to "house the illegals". It was terribly financially mismanaged (I saw the same Facebook post that Copanut saw).


Pick and choose I guess cuz the same facebook is where that charge was leveled. HOWEVER, if one digs in OUTSIDE of facebook, we see that the hotel owner and the CC owner are not as separate entities as people thot. While it falls under the hilton properties, it was spun off from the CC and indeed, gets 60% of its biz FROM the CC. I got $5 here that says the remaining dozen customers that go INTO a hobby lobby daily, do not book a room to stay.



There are NO (as of this am) investigations into any improprieties. Evident or alleged. So THAT point is actually the biggest rumor. In fact I advise caution as you might be engaging in actionable slander, the hotel has been for sale since october and there are two sealed offers on it. It lost about a million 5 last year and the property manager blamed 3 things explicitly, first the amount of kickback that Hilton.com takes for a booking thru their system which comes off the top, the required renos to be/stay part of the hilton system and the 'substantial loss of monroeville business.', which of course the businesses are all attributing in part to the increase in local crime at THOSE Locatons rt 22 biz has become the epicenter of sorts. He claimed that the closure of the CC dropped their real estate valuation by 30% and it appears this was the 'ok lock em right now' decision point. The projected sale of the property ios now a loss for the owner. ouch. More to come as this develops.



Any and all contacts in the council I might have talked with chosen a no comment path, and not a NO or hell no. So, not seeing what is discussed on social media, it does make me wonder if one of the sealed offers is in fact pittsburgh as they are advertising, as of YESTERDAY AFTERNOON, sanctuary.




Quote:
No, the convention center isn't closing because Monroeville is a ghetto. The developer decided to replace the convention center with Hobby Lobby.

didnt hear that one. Since I dont have FB and the wife didnt see THAT one,(I told her what you just said and she is looking so stay tuned) can you quote it or paraphrase it since you cannot link it in? And they are reporting the developer is replacing SOME of the CC with a HL, for less money than what it brings in (I dont know if any of you have even been there as in attending or vending or concert going but for what you get, for 2 half days, the rate is SALTY and was the biggest reason why I never set up shop there. Not to mention what you have to pay to get in as a spectator. The surrounding restaurants are all at present reporting the the sat/sunday afternoon drag and loss of, will be significant. We might lose Patron - which is a bummer - its really good. They are adjacent to the empty BCF lot where most of the CC goers park.


All of this is kinda still a big shame. I spent most of my life, on that strip. The only constant, really, has been Nick Maries and Ralphs. I had WALKED ('memba that?) from Teds, to the mall a hundred times if I did it once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2024, 08:40 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Reputation: 10634
Haven't been to Ralph's since the 70's. Funny while the Mall seems to be in decline, the Miracle Mile hasn't missed a beat since the early 60's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2024, 09:59 PM
 
408 posts, read 231,217 times
Reputation: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
The whole retail environment has changed, and is changing. I have to be honest I haven’t been in a Macy’s and I can’t even say how long. My husband died almost 5 years ago, and years before that one of our clients gifted us a Macy’s gift card. When we went to Macy’s, in California where we used to live, it was extremely difficult to find anything to use that gift certificate on. The high-end women’s clothing was poorly made. My husband had no interest in any of their clothing. I think I ended up using it on some housewares and some Fiestaware when it went on sale. And even that was difficult because at that point we were portion controlling and I didn’t need a 25 ounce cereal bowl.

I don’t think I’m alone in this. At this point, I shop a lot at Target and have not set foot in that store two years. I do everything online and I go pick it up. When my favorite candy store (See’s) opened a pop-up shop at the Ross Park Mall at Christmas, I went and purchased a pound and walked around the whole mall. So I don’t have to do that ever again. Including See’s. I really think Betsy Ann is better. I can buy a couple of pieces. Much healthier than buying a pound and eating the whole thing.

My retail experience at this point is Costco, JoAnn’s and my local quilt store which is actually an hour away in Finleyville, Quilters Corners. Great place. Great selection, great staff. Nice ride.

When the Macy’s closings started happening several years back, the head of Macy’s came out on one of the business channels and was talking about it because the minute you start scaling back everybody starts screaming “this is it, we’re all gonna die”, and said that we have way too much retail space allocated in our country. He quoted stats — in Europe, they have about 1.7 ft.² per person of retail space. In the USA we have around 7 ft.² per person. And people aren’t shopping like they used to. The indoor mall concept is going away in a lot of places. And for an indoor mall to work it has to be pretty special and high-end. I will grant you, Ross Park is very busy on the weekends. But on the weekdays it’s pretty empty.

We’re not going back to that style of retail. Retail must change. And that change is closing stores that are under performing, and putting in the store the merchandise that does sell. And this is happening not just at Macy’s — a rather popular Nordstrom’s where I used to live, closed at a rather high-end mall. Pretty much killed the mall. I think there’s one Sears left and two Kmart’s. And if you look at their foot traffic there’s a reason these stores closed. Nobody is shopping there. They can’t pay their bills.

The whole Sears/KMart thing is just beyond the pale to me. I don’t understand why they don’t stick a pin in it and take it out. But they must have a dollar to suck out of it still.

But I do agree with you that this stuff could’ve been handled better.
I think your (and others in middle class and lower) shopping habits and others have changed. Macy’s “high end” cost items is not high end. Macy’s is the entry level to department stores and does not rank in luxury branding. You really don’t get into luxury until you hit Nordstrom level. But if you’re shopping at Costco and target type stores, you’re not the type of buyer that would go into any department store to begin with. I’m not sticking up for Macys, I feel stores like this only survive in high income / densely populated metro areas but even then those types of people (high income) are going to boutique type stores or luxury department stores. Macy’s has always been intended as the entry level point for middle class to lower middle class individuals to get better quality clothes than the fast fashion type stores. However, they are losing that market pretty badly to these cheap and bulk type stores that you mentioned and of course individual stores like ForEver21 as an example. Why would they want to put that brand in Macys when they do better n their own? interesting stuff for sure.

Online shopping has not been that big of an issue anymore, outside of rural areas. Macy’s online shopping does quite well. They admitted that online sales is a killer for rural type settings because those types of buyers are looking for the best deals you can get. A different kind of shopper that would not even shop at Macys online to begin with. Macy’s here in the Pittsburgh region, there are a few that are poor performing because those malls are in major decline but places like South hills Village and Ross Park mall will not be affected and that’s primarily because the region of people that surrounds those stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top