Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2024, 10:36 AM

10,811 posts, read 4,506,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
You can't get PA plates if you don't have a PA driver's license .....

actually just pa ID, be it the D/L or photo ID. They still allow 'driving miss daisy' setups, and for crazy uncle #2 I am STILL disposing of the last of 8 registered (and insured) vehicles he acquired years AFTER he lost his license.

The OP does not want a PA plate, that would be the worst option. He wants to keep his AZ residency, and registration, on a paper-correct car.

At that point his greatest worry would be the trolls who would call in the car claiming he moved there and didnt switch regs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2024, 09:44 AM

24 posts, read 26,319 times
RetireinPA - question for you as you are an inspector - according to the section below of the Chapter 177 Emission Inspection Program, a certificate CAN be issued for a vehicle out of state.

Thoughts?

https://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/d...ns/pub_763.pdf

177.104. Vehicles registered in nondesignated areas or other states.

A vehicle registered outside a designated area or another state may be inspected for emissions but may not be
issued a certificate of emission inspection unless the certificate is specifically requested by a vehicle owner.

Old 03-20-2024, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner54 View Post
RetireinPA - question for you as you are an inspector - according to the section below of the Chapter 177 Emission Inspection Program, a certificate CAN be issued for a vehicle out of state.

Thoughts?

https://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/d...ns/pub_763.pdf

177.104. Vehicles registered in nondesignated areas or other states.

A vehicle registered outside a designated area or another state may be inspected for emissions but may not be
issued a certificate of emission inspection unless the certificate is specifically requested by a vehicle owner.

that is true, you can request, pay for the $39-79 emission test and get THAT sticker on the window if you really want it.

however, if the vehicle is duly legal for AZ (texas I once said) no one in PA will question you on EITHER compliance.

To quote the one lady "this is wall street, if you are going to give us free money we are going to take it"

For example in my case, I have 2 homes in PA, one in westmoreland, where the inspection is safety and full boat emissions. The other is Clarion cty where it is safety and visual compliance only (its dumb)

Because my primary is HERE, not in clarion, my vehicles are registered here and require the IM program. the safety sticker and the reg card both have the equivalent of 'emissions required' on them hence the windshield must have BOTH stickerz and BOTH must have 'IM' printed on them.

If my other residence was my primary and it was inspected up there I would have a non-IM indicated safety inspection - something you will NEVER have with an AZ vehicle - and I could add the IM um, IM sticker.

The $2 cost per sticker for the 'garage' is long gone, its much much more now such that the days of $21.20 inspections vanished. In fact, the IM is so costly, a lot of places WAIVE the safety fee, if you buy IM.

(personally its a damn scam on the IM side - CEL not on? wave it off....)

Only if you have a sense of civic duty get it done. no one will dun you. (does AZ have emissions?)

Old 03-20-2024, 01:00 PM

Yes AZ has emissions so I am hoping to satisfy the AZ requirement without having to bring the vehicle back to AZ by uploading the 'certificate of emission inspection'. Before I found the above PA rule I contacted a Pittsburgh area Inspection Station (a nearby auto repair shop) and was told they could not issue a certificate for an out-of-state vehicle. Sounded like a software issue preventing a report generation.

Old 03-20-2024, 01:35 PM

I won't need another emissions test for a while. Just planning ahead and hoping it can be done in PA.

Old 03-23-2024, 10:55 AM

151 posts, read 348,287 times
We are domiciled in Texas and have a second home in Pittsburgh where we keep an old car for when we're in the Burgh. We are not statutory residents of PA under PA law but are in Pittsburgh a lot. We have Texas driver licenses and renew our Texas plates every year, but Texas does not require us to get a Texas safety or emissions inspection until such time as we drive the car back into Texas, which will be never. When we renew our Texas plates online, there's a box to check to attest that our car is currently out-of-state. If we ever did drive it back into Texas, we'd have 3 days to get it inspected. I think this provision was probably created for the convenience of retired people who spend most of their time driving all over the country in RVs.

Now to the point: since Arizona, like Texas, has a lot of retirees and snowbirds, it would be worth the OP's time to see whether AZ has a similar provision for using a "my car's out of state" affidavit to renew your plates without yet having the required inspection.

Even if AZ offers such an affidavit, however, there is another issue. Your AZ auto insurance may be conditional on the car's permanent parking location being in AZ, and they may ask you about this from time to time. If you're keeping a car in PA, you may be able to cover this base by having a PA-based agent for your auto insurer issue a policy based on your PA address that conforms to AZ insurance requirements that apply to your AZ address. This would of course depend on whether AZ law allows it.

Old 03-24-2024, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinExPat View Post

Now to the point: since Arizona, like Texas, has a lot of retirees and snowbirds, it would be worth the OP's time to see whether AZ has a similar provision for using a "my car's out of state" affidavit to renew your plates without yet having the required inspection.

I didnt consider this. There may be some states I supposed that require an inspection BEFORE continued registration, each renewal.

In PA, its the reverse. A HARD reverse, before I can even start peeking at brakes or sniffin tailpipes I have to verify the registration card and insurance card, even for typos. (It does happen)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh