Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2024, 09:34 AM

24 posts, read 26,319 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Have recently purchased a home in Pittsburgh area as a part-time residence (escape from AZ summer and also to be near PA/OH family). Looking into purchasing a vehicle to leave in PA. Wondering if there is a way to avoid giving up current drivers license in order to register and title a vehicle in PA. Does not look possible from what I see so far. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2024, 09:43 AM

10,810 posts, read 4,506,581 times
dont think its possible. its all online and they will nab you eventually. If TX is your primary residence and hence license - keep it.

there is no law that prevents an out of state resident with a valid out of state residence from keeping a car here. if the car has valid TX registration, and insurance, no one will ever bother you for an inspection. not even if it has an EXPIRED TX inspection...

progressive (and others perhaps) have a 'snowbird exception' for insurance for those that go elsewhere for part year.

Old 03-16-2024, 09:50 AM

"there is no law that prevents an out of state resident with a valid out of state residence from keeping a car here."

Could you help me confirm this? A link to PA website of some sort?

Old 03-16-2024, 10:23 AM

10,810 posts, read 4,506,581 times
dmv.pa.gov

I checked it and there is exactly no language prohibiting this. It is clear that if you MOVE here as a primary, regardless of what you own elsewhere, you have 20 days and you must get a pa d/l etc...just dont. keep your foreign state residency...if you are not trying to hoodwink them and your majority time is down south, they cannot FORCE you to abandon that license/residency

this is the governing phrase:

Quote:
All new residents are required to make application for Pennsylvania title and registration of their vehicle(s) within 20 days of establishing residency in Pennsylvania.

there is all sorts of noise on quora or reddit, but I dont trust that as far as I can throw your car.

IIRC when I got my pa inspectors license way back when (which reminds me I need to renew!) that we (pa inspectors) can inspect a foreign car, we just cannot issue a certificate as they are tied to pa registration. Gladly charge you the $50 tho!

Old 03-16-2024, 11:51 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,024 times
If you have an out of state license and out of state plates who will ever question you. College kids and snow birds do it all the time. If you are buying a used car look for one down south. Salt is not good on cars.

Old 03-16-2024, 12:29 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Agree about keeping the other state as your primary residence, but you should look into PA's definition of "residency" for income tax purposes. Would you be employed while in PA or working remotely for an out of state employer? Residency affects more than car registration. You could end up owing income tax in both states, sort of cancelling out any savings in car registration.

This might be of interest:

https://www.revenue.pa.gov/TaxTypes/...Residency.aspx

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-16-2024 at 12:59 PM..

Old 03-16-2024, 12:36 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Didn't the OP state AZ? Not sure why people jumped to TX.

Old 03-16-2024, 01:03 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Agree about keeping the other state as your primary residence, but you should look into PA's definition of "residency" for income tax purposes. Would you be employed while in PA or working remotely for an out of state employer? Residency affects more than car registration. You could end up owing income tax in both states, sort of cancelling out any savings in car registration.

This might be of interest:

https://www.revenue.pa.gov/TaxTypes/...Residency.aspx
Thanks for this. I am in a similar situation.

Old 03-17-2024, 08:14 AM

Thanks to all. Good info.

Old 03-18-2024, 07:15 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
You can't get PA plates if you don't have a PA driver's license and you can't get a PA driver's license if you are not a legal resident of PA. PA used to be very lax about license plates and many NY and NJ residents got PA plates to avoid the high costs associated with those out of state plates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh