Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 03:56 PM

2 posts, read 5,275 times

Advertisements

When moving to Pgh and looking at all your options for a home in a "walkable" community with a commercial district, older maintained homes with tree lined streets, there are the areas that were previously listed:

Bellevue, Aspinwall, Shady Side (City of Pgh), Squirrell Hill (City of Pgh), Avalon, Dormont, Edgewood, Regents Square (Pgh, Edgewood among others).

We like Mt Lebanon though. It has a variety of home styles from the '20s and '30s (at the time, it was the fastest growing area in the country), but not many of the "commie block" appartments. There are two vibrant commercial districts that have events sponsored throughout the year and affordable housing. (a 3 br, 1.5 bath house can range from $150k to about $250k) depending on size. The services from the twp. are fantastic (paid fire dept) and the re-sale is very good.

The downside is compared to other areas, the property taxes tend to be a bit higher, however, you get what you pay for in community services.

Just another note, be sure to also check out the income tax rate for each community as the communities and the state collect income taxes and there is a big difference there too, especially with the City of Pgh.

Hope this helps and Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 03:14 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
Wow Burgher! You really dug this thread up from the bowels of City Data. Thanks for the added information. I'm really starting to get a fair number of repeated towns/neighborhoods here.

Oh, and Commie Block apartments Did you read 'Holidays from Hell', too?

Old 10-08-2007, 03:05 PM

28 posts, read 66,072 times
Hi Everyone

This is a bit bit off topic because my question is less about the city and more about the surrounding area, but does anyone have any information regarding the prevalence of horse farms near pittsburgh? are there any at all in a rural area? It doesn't even have to be nearby- honestly- but I am looking to move to western / central PA and I thought asking here would be a good start. Thanks!

Old 10-08-2007, 04:45 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,070,295 times
Quote:
does anyone have any information regarding the prevalence of horse farms near pittsburgh? are there any at all in a rural area?
The answer to your question is yes, there are several in Pittsburgh. This topic actually has it's own thread that is deeply buried if you can dig it up! I can't remember the exact locations of them, either, but some are quite close to the city.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:12 PM

28 posts, read 66,072 times
i will look! thank you!

Old 03-19-2008, 11:26 PM

So, a Pittsburgh Forum poster sent me a Direct Message awhile back suggesting Regent Square as fitting my bill of particulars. Recently, I checked out the the big "oo" gle web site with street level tours of cities, and Regent Square had been photographed.

I took the tour, and WOW!! I loved the brick streets. The houses were turn of the century and well maintained. Lots of trees around. It really looked great. Of course in the end, someday I'll have to make it to Pittsburgh and do the drive on my own, and really see if there is enough barrier between the nice areas, and the not-so nice areas. But definitely, if you are looking for an attractive, city neighborhood, built more for people than for cars, with a eye towards attractive architecture, Regent Square is definitely a place to look.

Love those virtual tours.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:09 PM

11 posts, read 24,106 times
I see that you now live in Chicago, Drover. Were you born here or did other circumstances lead you to the Chi? I'm currently living here, but I've been eyeballing Pittsburgh. Are you familiar with rentals in Chicago v. Pittsburgh? I've been checking them out on craigslist, but who knows what areas I'm really looking in? I'm a single female in sales, so I tend to have long work hours. I would be interested in something close to public transportation. I'd also like to be able to walk to the grocery. The big thing for me is coming home at night. I'd like to do that without being raped, mugged, shot at, etc...

Old 01-09-2009, 10:28 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillytochi View Post
I see that you now live in Chicago, Drover. Were you born here or did other circumstances lead you to the Chi? I'm currently living here, but I've been eyeballing Pittsburgh. Are you familiar with rentals in Chicago v. Pittsburgh? I've been checking them out on craigslist, but who knows what areas I'm really looking in? I'm a single female in sales, so I tend to have long work hours. I would be interested in something close to public transportation. I'd also like to be able to walk to the grocery. The big thing for me is coming home at night. I'd like to do that without being raped, mugged, shot at, etc...
I'm originally from the Chicago area and I've spent most of my life here, alternating between city and suburbs as circumstances dictate. It's been a while since I lived in Pittsburgh, and while I still know the basics, there are others in the Pittsburgh forum who are more versed in the details and who can help you out there. All you need to do is start a new thread in the Pittsburgh forum and you'll have at least half a dozen answers by the next afternoon. I'd be happy to help you with any questions you have about Chicago neighborhoods though.

Additionally, I will say this much by way of comparison: if public transportation is important to you, Chicago is a far better choice. However, if you're not averse to driving a car, Pittsburgh is pretty car-friendly unless you live or work downtown or in one of handful of dense neighborhoods where parking is at a premium. In most of Pittsburgh though, parking ranges to fairly easy to completely easy, especially compared to much of Chicago. And needless to say, the cost of housing in Pittsburgh is far cheaper than in Chicago.

Last edited by Drover; 01-09-2009 at 10:39 PM..

Old 01-09-2009, 10:40 PM

212 posts, read 640,880 times
Also you may want to to consider Oakmont, which is a bit up the Allegheny river from downtown Pittsburgh.
A small community, (about 3 sq.mi), with a very nice business "main street", with small post office, bakery, coffee houses, small shops, etc. Many old homes from the late 19th and early 20th centuries, but many also from 40's, 50's and 60's. Definitely not a cookie-cutter town as far as homes. .Oakmont is named for the thousands of Oak trees that line the streets. You want a canopy of trees that cover the streets that are beautiful in the summer and turn color in the fall? Oakmont is IT. Many old brick streets, including some cobblestone streets. A very walkable town.

Having lived there for many years until I moved here to Riverside Ca, I can tell you it is a very nice place, and seems to fit your criteria for a town.
I like it so much I plan on moving back in May/June, as I am also quite tired the general SoCal area. And you are right; sunshine all the time can be boring!

Good luck with your search!!

Old 01-27-2012, 12:49 AM

All right, I'm not "Bumping" this thread for no reason. I actually have a point.

That point is that newbie board members sometimes have a way of coming up with the most uninspired thread titles. Estatenewbie, fresh on the board this very month came up with "Is Pittsburgh Right for Me?"

And me, back in January 2007 within my first 30 days on the board came up with the equally uninspired thread title, "Is Pittsburgh for Me?"

LAME LAME LAME!

You know how we have software that blocks certain 4 - letter words, I think the MODs/Admin should come up with something that blocks cliched thread titles that follow the pattern "Is XXXXX (right) for Me?"

Save us newbies when we are new, from being seriously UNCOOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh