Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 08:46 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
How do you equate 5 days as being = 2 weeks?
I don't care let's make a new thread then not keep bringing back an old one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 06:47 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,853,001 times
Then I guess we have to ask the moderator to delete the old thread. Feel free to go ahead and do that yourself, if it bothers you so much. I don't know how they pop up again and noticed some do from time to time.The thread title in the bar does not give you the date of origination, making it easy to respond to without first checking.
I agree with you that it clutters the thread board. Other people, and not just me,have responded by posting b/c the most recent response happens to be a current date ,and not realizing it's an old thread from 2 years ago.

I don't think 5 days is too old a thread to respond to

Old 08-12-2010, 08:02 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
Then I guess we have to ask the moderator to delete the old thread. Feel free to go ahead and do that yourself, if it bothers you so much. I don't know how they pop up again and noticed some do from time to time.The thread title in the bar does not give you the date of origination, making it easy to respond to without first checking.
I agree with you that it clutters the thread board. Other people, and not just me,have responded by posting b/c the most recent response happens to be a current date ,and not realizing it's an old thread from 2 years ago.

I don't think 5 days is too old a thread to respond to
the thread is two years old and I started it.I don't see a problem with reviving old threads if something new is being added to it. sometimes these are tough things to talk about but it's good to talk about them even if it makes the mods uneasy, it's part of life. I appreciate your other response. pittsburgh isn't necessarily known for much these days so people often have to make assumptions. internet boards are good place for real people to post real information that you might not get in a newspaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I suspect to the extent you can hear anti-Mexican rhetoric in certain circles here in Pittsburgh, that is largely because Mexican immigration has become one of the major topics in national partisan politics, "the culture wars", and so forth.
it's somewhat ironic since mexican culture really isn't very different from the other old world cultures, strong family, fresh food, strong attachment to the catholic church. of course, eastern eruopeans were blamed for being swarthy, drunken, criminals here to take our jobs as well (not to mention the italians). there's nothing new under the sun.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:08 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
it's somewhat ironic since mexican culture really isn't very different from the other old world cultures, strong family, fresh food, strong attachment to the catholic church. of course, eastern eruopeans were blamed for being swarthy, drunken, criminals here to take our jobs as well (not to mention the italians). there's nothing new under the sun.
Exactly right. In prior eras we've been through this exact same dynamic with Germans, Irish, Italians, Eastern Europeans, and so on. All the evidence is that the children and grandchildren of Hispanic immigrants are following the exact same assimilation path as these prior groups, and we are already getting to the point where the generations of Hispanics born here are becoming more common than immigrants. So I think it is quite likely that in a couple more generations, Americans with some Hispanic ancestry will be seen as no different than Americans with some German, Irish, Italian, Polish, or so on are seen today.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:15 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
I grew up in a German-Italian town. God forbid you walked out of the house talking Italian or German. You spoke English.

I'm all for immigration, but why does the govt print everything twice, English and Spanish? If you want to benefit from this great country, learn the language.

I know I sound like a Limbaugh kinda guy, but that's how my grandparents did it, it ain't that hard.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:16 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,853,001 times
For PMAN: Thanks for also not seeing the problem with reviving old threads.Just b/c it may have been started a few years ago doesn't mean the subject matter is not fresh or timely.
ALSO FOR BRIANTH- I know on "the overall rant" thread reston runner and I brought up the subject that we want you to run for city or county office.You responded that you didn't think so b/c you didn't go to high school here.For a County Council seat all you have to qualify is being a resident x 1 year as well as a registered voter.I hope you will give this consideration-you really would be phenominal.
Lord knows I couldn't reply this to you specifically on that old thread-someone would have bit my head off. But like PMAN said, internet boards can be one of the few spots to get information from,and sometimes it takes a little time to research a question before you can respond .

Old 08-12-2010, 09:42 AM

I was actually joking about the HS thing. But it is in fact relatively recently that I finally settled for good in the Pittsburgh area. So while not promising anything, if I did ever think about running for an elected office, it would probably be no sooner than a few years from now.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:00 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I grew up in a German-Italian town. God forbid you walked out of the house talking Italian or German. You spoke English.
I doubt that, a lot of folks never learned the language, it was their kids and grandkids who did. some people have the means and ability to learn languages better than others. there were whole neighborhoods of certain groups, I'm positive they spoke their own languages.

Quote:
I'm all for immigration, but why does the govt print everything twice, English and Spanish? If you want to benefit from this great country, learn the language.
I think sometimes people get upset at the immigrants but it's not their fault the government does this. I'm sure most would rather not have the attention. of course, the government does a lot of things that I consider to be foolish.

Quote:
I know I sound like a Limbaugh kinda guy, but that's how my grandparents did it, it ain't that hard.
my grandfather was from mexico and he learned the language, of course, he learned english in school back home before coming here so that made it a lot easier. he didn't come here from a poverty ridden province with little in the way of basic education like so many italian immigrants and current mexican ones, he came here to escape the violence of civil war (although one could argue there are a lot of refugees from the failed drug war now). to be honest, if I mmigrated to a spanish speaking country I'd try to learn the language but if I had the chance to speak my native tongue with someone, I'd probably jump on it. I bet you would too. I think Pittsburgh coudl use an influx of new blood, no offense to the old blood, but it's the mixing of people, sometimes smoothly,often times bubbling over, that has made america what it is, for better and for worse

Old 08-12-2010, 10:21 AM

We've never had an official language in this country, and never needed one to encourage people to learn English. As with other immigration in the past, by the second generation the vast majority of Hispanics have English as their primary language, and by the third generation few of them are even fluent in Spanish. But because we are a country that prides itself on being welcoming to foreign visitors and lawful immigrants, to the extent it would help a significant number of newcomers to have official forms printed in more than one language, we will do so.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:16 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,374,809 times
In 1919, President Theodore Roosevelt wrote, "We have room for but one language in this country, and that is the English language, for we intend to see that the crucible turns our people out as Americans, of American nationality, and not as dwellers in a polyglot boarding house."

English-only movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh