Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 10:55 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,610,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersoulty View Post
What does it matter if Churchill, pop. 3,500, has a "well-integrated" population that still has 1/3 less black folks as you would expect, if it is located right next to two larger places that don't?
That is where we disagree...completely. Monroeville, Penn Hills, and the dozen or so surrounding communities are reasonably integrated. You have to be smoking crack not to think so......Just get in your car and drive around....You see white people, black people, occasionally even Asians & Hispanics, everywhere and all the time......I really have no idea what you are taking about.....just look, it's all right in front of you in plain sight.

I drive through the South Hills, I see a sea of white faces, I drive through many of the old river towns I see a black section and a white section. I drive through the North Hills I see a small minority presence. I drive through the Eastern Suburbs, I see a black guy cutting his grass, a white girl jogging, and an interracial group of teenage girls. I drive through Bloomfield or Lawrenceville I see a group of black guys and white guys hanging out on the corner laughing. I drive through Brentwood I see police chasing minorities out of town.......I went to Monroeville mall a few weeks ago and saw 2 interracial couples over 50 years of age. I want to South Hills village and saw no minorites what-so-ever.

....it is what it is....and I'll say it again. You have to be smoking crack or stuck in the 1960's to think the entire Pittsburgh region is one gigantic segregated South Africa.....The only other explaination is that you are from one of the segregated parts of this region and that defines your perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 11:07 AM

Or don't take my word for it....compare the Pittsburgh region to other regions of the country.

Social Explorer - Demographic Maps

Old 06-08-2008, 01:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Well, I really don't think anyone is smoking crack right now. The map is interesting. However, the percents are shown as gradations, so unless there is a big color line, you can't really tell a *whole* lot. There are certainly areas that are very white or very black.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
Or don't take my word for it....compare the Pittsburgh region to other regions of the country.

Social Explorer - Demographic Maps
This is powerful tool. I just found a few things that probably help to explain the integration of the Eastern Suburbs....

Toggle back and forth between Income and Black Race. Notice section 5211 in Monroeville, It's Monroeville's blackest community and also one of Monroeville's wealthiest. Notice the racial distribution in Penn Hills, then notice how the income profiles look very similar to Ross Township.

Now look at the city. See 1303 in Homewood and 1404 in Shadyside. Notice how it takes 5 block to go from 90+% black to 90% white. See also in those same 5 blocks how income goes from over $100k to under $15k .

EDIT:
And to the OP...it appears that as of the 2000 census, there were no neighborhoods with a hispanic population above 5%.

Last edited by zip95; 06-08-2008 at 01:36 PM..

Old 06-08-2008, 02:39 PM

6 posts, read 24,527 times
Default Mojitos make me happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Maybe; however in my travels around Pittsburgh (and I admit I don't frequent the Brookline area...which happens to have a Hispanic community so I hear) I have yet to meet any Hispanics. Last week at the BP on Rt. 51, there was a man in line in front of me speaking Spanish on his cell phone (sort of gave me a warm fuzzy feeling...like a taste of Miami had followed me up here!). I went to school with some second-generation Hispanics. However they were very assimilated.

No doubt I miss the Dominican hairdressers....and what I would do for an arepa con queso, empanada, pan de bono, cafe con leche, or just a Cuban colada...oh man! I really wish Pittsburgh did have more Hispanics!

Oh and if anyone knows where you can get a good mojito in this town; I still have yet to find a place that does them right (real mint leaves...straight sugar syrup...not the "mojito flavor syrup" stuff, splash of soda water for bite...you know).
well, my home has the best.

seviche - dowtown
a friends
another friends
cheesecake factory
probably olive or twist
kelly's - they weren't good (no sugar??) & i couldn't fix it but they have them in Jan.
sassy marie's was okay (sugar???)
i am just very specific w/ how it should taste (type of rum, keep mint leaves, not too much ice, not too sweet)

Old 06-08-2008, 04:02 PM

353 posts, read 825,462 times
Quote:
This is powerful tool. I just found a few things that probably help to explain the integration of the Eastern Suburbs....

Toggle back and forth between Income and Black Race. Notice section 5211 in Monroeville, It's Monroeville's blackest community and also one of Monroeville's wealthiest. Notice the racial distribution in Penn Hills, then notice how the income profiles look very similar to Ross Township.

Now look at the city. See 1303 in Homewood and 1404 in Shadyside. Notice how it takes 5 block to go from 90+% black to 90% white. See also in those same 5 blocks how income goes from over $100k to under $15k .

EDIT:
And to the OP...it appears that as of the 2000 census, there were no neighborhoods with a hispanic population above 5%.
Having a housing project doesn't mean you have an integrated community. If you think it does, then we have a long way to go before we can even start discussing this subject. And alot of those places consist mostly of either:

A) Spill over from other neighborhoods and boroughs... for the 20th time.

B) The fact that there might be one or two housing projects in a given area.

If you think having one section where the population is 80% black (in an area where the regional population is 12% Black) and one section that is 98% white is integrated so long as there are a couple places where the population is 90-10 white/black, then:

^^^^^^^
This is you.

Now, are race relations terrible in Pittsburgh? No, not at all. When the cops were involved in shooting that unarmed black kid a couple years back, the city didn't explode. But this place is segregated. There is no way around it.

Last edited by supersoulty; 06-08-2008 at 04:21 PM..

Old 06-08-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersoulty View Post
Having a housing project doesn't mean you have an integrated community. If you think it does, then we have a long way to go before we can even start discussing this subject. And alot of those places consist mostly of either:

A) Spill over from other neighborhoods and boroughs... for the 20th time.

B) The fact that there might be one or two housing projects in a given area.

If you think having one section where the population is 80% black (in an area where the regional population is 12% Black) and one section that is 98% white is integrated so long as there are a couple places where the population is 90-10 white/black, then:

^^^^^^^
This is you.

Now, are race relations terrible in Pittsburgh? No, not at all. When the cops were involved in shooting that unarmed black guy a couple weeks back, the city didn't explode. But this place is segregated. There is no way around it.

When you can't beat um....call um names

Old 06-08-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
When you can't beat um....call um names
It's not name calling... I'm making the point, for probably the eighth time, that hiding behind stats ignores the truth of what is going on. Look at the larger picture. Who cares about the handful of areas you keep mentioning. I look at the census tracks and see alot of places that look more geographically impressive than their population figures would suggest, and that seems to be what your argument is riding on. If a batter has an average of .050... are you gonna talk about the 5% of the time he hit safely, or are you gonna look at the 95% of the time he didn't? I say "this dude can't hit," because of his failures. Your tacts seems to be to say "well, we can't really say" because of his successes.

It makes no sense.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:56 PM

SuperSoulty...

I just went back through a few of your older posts.....apparently you are a college student from Rural West Central PA where until recently you spent your whole life

Thanks for your opinion on Diversity in Pittsburgh.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
SuperSoulty...

I just went back through a few of your older posts.....apparently you are a college student from Rural West Central PA where until recently you spent your whole life

Thanks for your opinion on Diversity in Pittsburgh.
Well, no, actually... until recently I lived in Erie, PA. I haven't lived in Jefferson County for 6 years. That being said, this might surprise you, but we do have cars and TV's in the sticks, and we got Pittsburgh News and often drove to Pittsburgh.

Secondly, I'm a grad student, and you know what I study? Urban and Regional Affairs. A large part of my time last semester was spent analyzing population patterns in this city.

Thirdly, even if I didn't now believe that you are a total ******* for trying to pull the "you just moved here" card, as a way of discrediting my opinions... yours have no credit anyway, and I was pretty close to ending this debate. That last resort move of your's right there only confirms my suspicion that you don't want to see the truth, regardless.

Thank you for your opinion on diversity in Pittsburgh. I'm not processing it into the trash bin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh