Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 05:13 AM

7 posts, read 66,771 times

Advertisements

Hello! This is my first time posting, although I've been reading this forum for some time.

My husband and I are considering relocating to Pittsburgh within a year. We are from New York City (Brooklyn) and really like everything about where we live, except for the astronomical home prices. Pittsburgh seems like a good option, and we are going to check out various parts of the area to see where we would fit best.

I was wondering whether you can suggest some neighborhoods that we should visit during our next trip there.

Here is basically what we are looking for (in order of priority):

1. Excellent schools (we have two kids who will be entering kindergarten soon)
2. A safe neighborhood, where you can walk around in the evening, and are not afraid to let your kids play in the street.
3. A high income, high education level community, where there are more families (and kids) than single people.
4. Walkability (sidewalks) and nearby restaurants and shops (not of the strip mall variety).
5. Relative proximity to public transportation (we realize we'll have to drive a lot more than we do now).

We are looking for a 4 bedroom house with a nice yard (by New York standards ... not looking for acres and acres) in the $250-350 price range, which I understand is pretty realistic in most areas in Pittsburgh.

Some areas that I've researched (but haven't visited yet) are Shadyside, Squirrell Hill, and Mt. Lebanon. In addition to suggesting other areas, please honestly let me know what you think of these, and how they fit in with our requirements.

Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 06:03 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,869,081 times
I'll start by recommending three more neighborhoods in the "East End", the area of Pittsburgh where Shadyside and Squirrel Hill are also located: Point Breeze, Highland Park, and Regent Square. Point Breeze is pretty much like the residential sections of Squirrel Hill, and although it is a little farther from the commercial district in Squirrel Hill, it has a (very small) commercial area of its own, plus good access to Frick Park. Highland Park again is similar in feel to Squirrel Hill, it is a very family-friendly--and in fact the adjacent park of the same name contains the Zoo and Aquarium--and it again has a little commercial area of its own plus is close to the retail activity in East Liberty and on into Shadyside. Finally, Regent Square is once again another family-friendly neighborhood similar to Squirrel Hill, nestled into a corner of Frick Park and with an increasingly popular small commercial distict of its own. All of these are pretty safe neighborhoods, they are well-served by public transportation, and they are among the neighborhoods popular with students, faculty, and staff at the local universities and hospitals.

A few additional pricing notes on all these neighborhoods in the East End, including Shadyside and Squirrel Hill: first, you might find your budget a little bit of a stretch for Shadyside, particularly given your desire for a yard (Shadyside has fewer homes with yards than these other neighborhoods, and they tend to be expensive). Shadyside in general is a very nice neighborhood, but a little less family-friendly then some of these other neighborhoods, in part because of the relative lack of yard and garage space, and also the generally higher price per sqft, and finally a relative lack of proximity to the big East End parks. Squirrel Hill and Point Breeze will in turn be a little more expensive than Highland Park and Regent Square, although with your budget, I would still look at all of these neighborhoods--you just might find some more attractive options in Highland Park and Regent Square.

Finally, a note on schools: the City of Pittsburgh schools that feed up into Taylor Allderdice (in Squirrel Hill, but also covering parts of Point Breeze and the Pittsburgh part of Regent Square) aren't bad, and the City also has a number of magnet programs and charter schools (in fact, a new environmental-themed charter school just opened in Regent Square). However, it should be noted that a lot of people in the East End opt to send their kids to private schools. There are many excellent private schools in the area, and generally they are not too expensive (particularly the Catholic schools, but lower income people can also get breaks at some of the schools).

Old 06-10-2008, 02:03 PM

213 posts, read 335,761 times
Default Mt. Lebanon

I'd recommend checking out Mt. Lebanon first. It fits most of your requirements. There is a small shopping district with some good restaurants (fabulous pizza at Il Pizziaola); however, you'd need to venture to one of the shopping malls in the immediate area (South Hills Village and The Galleria) for any serious shopping. You may have a little difficulty finding a home there in your price range, but it's definitely worth a look, especially if you're willing to consider an older home.

Shadyside isn't nearly as family friendly, in my opinion (but has some good boutique shopping and restaurants) and I don't think you'd find a home in your price range there. I can't really offer a valid opinion on Squirrel Hill as we really don't spend a whole lot of time there.

In closing, Pittsburgh is very, very different from Brooklyn/NYC. I'm sure you've done some careful research, but be sure to spend some time here before making your move. Good luck!

Old 06-10-2008, 02:09 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,036,345 times
I think Mt. Lebanon is also a good match for what you are searching for.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:18 PM

105 posts, read 365,167 times
You can't go wrong with any of the neighborhoods you mention and those that BrianTH mentions. A couple of additional points:

(1) The negative for you in Highland Park will probably be the schools; you would want to look at the magnet program and it's going to be too late for kindergarten this year (most likely).
(2) Shadyside is nice, but less family oriented than Sq Hill, Point Breeze, Regent Square, Mt. Lebo. I believe you have preference for Liberty--the magnet Spanish school in Shadyside, but I'm not sure; you would have to check this carefully with the school district.
(3) If you look in Regent Square, I recommend the "city" portion where the school feeder pattern is Minadeo, Sterret Middle, Allderdice High.
(4) Point Breeze is divided between Minadeo and Colfax with preference for the Linden magnet; those are fine choices.
(5) We have friends in Squirrel Hill who moved here from Brooklyn and thought Sq Hill was the Pittsburgh neighborhood most like Brooklyn.
(6) If you are commuting to Oakland, Mt. Lebanon is the least convenient (but not a terrible commute in an absolute sense) of all the neighborhoods mentioned so far. If you are commuting to downtown Pittsburgh, Mt. Lebanon may be easier (light rail), but the busway from Shadyside or Regent Square will do fine.

Enjoy. Welcome.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:33 PM

I personally think all three areas are lovely.

One obvious thing that might not have been pointed out directly is the fact that Shadyside and Squirrel Hill are VERY much urban neighborhoods. They are mere minutes outside of the downtown city- limits and are even closer to Oakland (which, for all intents and purposes, might as well be considered downtown).

Mt. Lebanon, while still considered an urban neighborhood, is a bit further and would perhaps be more of your traditional suburb in terms of appearance. For example, as city neighborhoods, Shadyside and Squirrel Hills homes are usually fairly close together, with smaller yards, and often only served by street parking. Some would be very turned off by that, others may consider it a natural and interesting paradigm of urban living.

Mt. Lebanon, on the other hand, would usually have homes with larger yards, maybe even "white picket fences," and perhaps even 2 or more garages.

I'm not really trying to discourage or encourage one over another, as a young single man, I love Shadyside, but you need to weigh the pro's and con's! I think if I had a family, I would be more attracted to Mt. Lebanon.

Where exactly will you be working? That might make a difference. For example, if you are working in Robinson, you may also want to consider Upper St. Clair or Peter's Township, they are both just down the road from Mt. Lebanon.

If you working in the North Hills, you may want to consider Wexford, Cranberry, Ross Township, or Adam's Township.

If you are working near the Monroeville area, you may want to consider Murrysville.

I believe there are some excellent places that you have not considered, but it would depend on the commute to work. If you are working in the city of Pittsburgh or Oakland, Shadyside and Squirrel Hill would definitely be closest.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:52 PM

85 posts, read 334,200 times
guylocke's info on Mt Lebo is not entirely accurate -- you will be able to find a lovely home there in your price range. But larger yards and 2 car garages are hard to come by there in any price range. Also white picket fences are not allowed -- at least not in the front of homes. : )

Old 06-10-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
But larger yards and 2 car garages are hard to come by there in any price range. Also white picket fences are not allowed -- at least not in the front of homes. : )
I stand corrected!! Although, I still think the feel of Mt. Lebanon and the urban neighborhoods are much different. I used to be in the Mt. Lebanon/USC area a lot, maybe I was blending the neighborhoods together.

Are there plenty of fences and 2+ car garages in USC?

Old 06-10-2008, 03:38 PM

85 posts, read 334,200 times
I'm not sure but I can't say that I notice alot of fences in USC either so I bet they have rule too! Don't know about the garage issue either. I am house hunting in Mt Lebo and 2 car garages are really rare and it drives me batty! Especially when you aren't allowed to park on the street and the driveways are soooo narrow. I don't know how those with 2 cars do it unless one stays home most of the time.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:40 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,869,081 times
Just a brief note on the East End neighborhoods: it is true they tend to have smaller yards than one would find in the suburbs, but on the other hand most of the ones we are discussing are close to one of the large parks in the East End. And one of the side benefits of using a local park for family play is that there tend to be neighborhood kids around (at least whenever it is nice).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh