Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 03:39 PM

291 posts, read 1,361,001 times

Advertisements

Well one way around a HOA is to buy land, build a home and make it out in the sticks, sounds like a plan to me! On the other hand, HOAS can be good cause if your neighbor is a slob, your home value will go down, fast!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2007, 01:53 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,672,214 times
I was reading a few pages back and saw a poster who said he was moving to Columbus, and someone wanted to know how the situation is in Columbus for African-Americans?

I have family in Pittsburgh, and study urban geography. I would love to see the full potential that Pittsburgh has be realized.

I also live in Columbus and thought I could pass a word along for the fellow man who wanted to move to Columbus and others who may not be familar with the city.

The economic growth in Columbus has created a city that is very different than it was just 20 years ago.

Columbus has one of the largest concentrations of gay populations, 2nd largest Somali population in the us, fastest growing Asian population in Ohio, and stable/growing Indian and Mexican population. While the city is a majority of white, it is a place where diversity is starting to become a way of life.

Comparing two cities, one is not better, they are just different. Columbus has many transplants, college educated, coming to the city from many places around the US or as immigrants. The average age in Columbus is 31, this does not count college students. This younger population has been transplanted to the city for jobs.

The people who come are not already connected to the area and bring with them more progessive thoughts. Sometimes this means the city can feel a lack of tradition, on the other hand the people of Columbus are VERY open to change and the modern day progressive liberal political issues.

Columbus is run by an African-American mayor, and has become a place that is welcoming to African-Americans. The cities family-oriented neighborhoods are racially integrated.

Another factor that comes into play; Columbus was much smaller and did not have a large African-American during Industrial decline. This means that there is a very small percentage of the black population that has been in the city for some time and has suffered the effects of the 50s-80s. Most of Columbus' black population has immigrated to the city and already has a college education and job placement.

In a sense the playing field in Columbus is more leveled on an economic level.

Some newer suburbs of Columbus are actually seeing subdivisions which are marked to well-off blacks.

I also have many friends here who are from Pittsburgh. Almost every single one has also noted how they cannot believe the diversity difference here. For some reason most seem to realize how many more asians there are. Columbus is hardly the most diverse city, but it does state that there is a very large different in the racial makeup of Columbus and Pittsburgh in 2006.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:17 AM

831 posts, read 878,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I somehow thought you'd have a problem with shopping in Pittsburgh... (I know you from the About Pittsburgh forum!!)

But you're a stones throw from a weekend in New York City... with all the high end shopping you'd want! With cheap flights to LaGuardia, you and your family can go to NYC and shop till you drop, take in dinner and a show, shop some more the next day and get back to PA by Sunday evening.
Heck, with the internet you don't even need to go to NYC...all the shopping you want is online!

Old 07-09-2012, 11:19 AM

831 posts, read 878,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom6623 View Post
I am absolutely for finding opportunity wherever you can. What infuriates me is the fact that he is blaming his misfortunes in Pittsburgh on racial discrimination. As I said before, I am from New York, and TRUST me, you have not seen discrimination if you haven't been to the Apple. In my six years in Pittsburgh, I never once saw any incident that could be described as racial discrimination. I hardly believe that he will find any other city to be more accomodating to him as a black person, especially one that is one state over and less than 200 miles away.
I also haven't seen much in the form of racial discrimination. However, that might just be because I don't belong to a minority group.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:31 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
LOL funny to look at this old thread and be reminded how quickly things are changing for Pittsburgh. Back in 2007 this forum (and the city in general) might have been a place that didn't have much optimism. Now I see plenty of optimism, growth, energy, etc. Things seem to really be turning around for Pittsburgh, maybe more quickly here than in most other cities.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:00 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Yeah, there has been a HUGE change in tone around here in the last few years.

Of course some of us were a bit ahead of the curve . . .

Old 07-10-2012, 07:48 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,217 times
If everyone and I mean Everyone could get over their biases, then this world would be a better place for all. We are all humans and we have our faults, but don't dwell on the mishaps of others. We need to work on our own personal imperfections.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:46 PM

429 posts, read 654,240 times
I personally think majority of it has to do with the Evergrey's photography showcasing how cool the Burgh really is. He put out the best photos demonstrating what this city had to offer in this time of regrowth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh