Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 09:12 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

Well, I just spent the better part of an hour poring over each and every message in that recently-locked thread that started off as an intelligent debate about the quality-of-life in Pittsburgh and regressed into juvenile behavior!

Now, it's apparent to me that Pittsburgh's BIGGEST problem isn't its outdated public infrastructure, its red ink, the collapse of the steel industry, or even its over-prioritization of professional sports---It's the fact that seemingly everyone in town has a "glass half-empty" mindset! How can a city ever hope to rebound if its own residents shoot down any proposal to try to infuse some new life into it? Personally, I was nearly shedding a tear of happiness to see a true urban pioneer from FL who wanted to come to Pittsburgh and start rehabbing some old rowhomes. That is the type of investment that Pittsburgh needs, NOT more cul-de-sacs in Cranberry Township!

It can be amazing what a little bit of "civic pride" can do for a city. As recently as the 1990s, Scranton, my beloved hometown, was full of violent crime, urban decay, and was even nominated as the runner-up for "Armpit of America" by some sort of national publication. To many, Scranton was the epitome of "Rust-Belt Despair." Since 2000, Scranton has benefitted TREMENDOUSLY under the helm of Christopher A. Doherty, a well-educated "yuppie" mayor whose vision and slogan of "Restoring the Pride" is finally starting to resonate throughout the region. People have gone from having the dreaded "Woe is me; I hate my city" mindset that many of you Pittsburghers still have to shutting their mouths and becoming inspired by the positive changes occurring around them. Between 2000 and 2010, the following great accomplishments either have already been done or will be done in the city of Scranton:

-Development of "Lofts @ The Mill": An old mill overlooking Nay Aug Park has been converted into a popular loft housing complex for young professionals.
-Development of "St. Peter's Square": A block of older buildings in Scranton is being completely restored and converted into a mixed-use retail/loft housing project.
-Development of "Jefferson Pointe": A new luxury apartment high-rise is slated to be under construction at the corner of Lackawanna & Jefferson Avenues this year with ground-level retail.
-Two new Downtown Starbucks
-New Scranton Hilton Hotel & Conference Center
-The Original SoupMan: A growing NYC chain, inspired by the "Soup Nazi" from Seinfeld, recently opened its newest branch in the downtown.
-Cold Stone Creamery
-Restoration of the old New Jersey Freight Station on Lackawanna Avenue into a mixed-use retail/dining use.
-Continuing rehabilitation of Nay Aug Park, including the zoo, Davis Trail, Nay Aug Gorge, Hanlon Pavillion, etc.
-A new commuter rail line to Manhattan will be under construction in 2010.
-Recently became home to NY Yankees AAA-affilliate.
-Development of boutique shopping (Poochie Gourmet Dog Bakery, New Laundry Fashions, Lavish, etc.)
-Molly Brannigan's Irish Pub
-New Medical School to Open in 2009
-Citywide smoking ban now in effect
-Gentrification of the Hill Section
-Scranton Jazz Festival
-AFA Gallery, Marquis Gallery
-Property Values Booming---33% Rise in Single-Family Homes and 51% Rise in Multi-Family Units Since 2003
-Blues Street Blues Cafe
-New Film Office to Churn Out First Movie This Year
-Setting for "The Office"
-First Night Scranton
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 09:14 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Talking Part Two: Have Some Faith in the Steel City!

I could go on and on and on about the positive changes that have been occurring across the Electric City in recent years, but I'll let you just sit and picture Scranton the bleak, abysmal way it was when you saw it in 1995 vs. the "chic" way you'll see it in 2010. All of these projects wouldn't have occurred if the city wasn't willing to embrace and back a young, charismatic mayor who had a vision. While many of you in Pittsburgh attack anyone who thinks Pittsburgh has potential to shine greatly once again, bear in mind that Scranton was in the same situation just ten years ago, and all it basically took was a resurgence in homegrown CIVIC PRIDE to permit our city to thrive again.

Pittsburghers, the next time someone says they want to move to your fair city and open up a jazz cafe or restore an old rowhome, don't scare them away! If you truly care about your city and want to see it quickly bounce back the way that Scranton and other Rust-Belt cities have been, then you'll want to encourage as much private investment as you can!

I say this to you out of love for the city. I've been to Pittsburgh several times, and each time I think to myself "What a beautiful setting, and this city has so much potential!" If Scranton, the "Armpit of America" can bounce back and make its naysayers shut up, then why can't Pittsburgh? You have a beautiful city---Why give up hope? Don't you think Scranton's weather is just as gloomy? Don't you think Scranton has had similar struggles in retaining well-educated young individuals (such as yours truly who WILL be staying in the city to raise my family in a refurbished Victorian). Nevertheless, we're rebounding. Check out Rediscover Scranton, Scranton Tomorrow, Scranton Jaycees, etc. for evidence on how many of our city's residents truly want to see it bounce back. Pittsburgh's turn is right around the corner---Just have some OPTIMISM for a change!

Old 01-09-2007, 11:30 PM

23 posts, read 98,302 times
All I can say is, thank you.

Old 01-10-2007, 12:49 AM

781 posts, read 1,618,733 times
I have never been there, but am moving there next month! I have children, so I do have a vested interest in the city before we all move. We are not young and naive, but we are not ancient and jaded. This is a big adjustment for our family.

I am optimistic, my husband was hired for a very public position, and he is VERY optimistic. He was amazed at the high quality of executives he is going to be working with, and he was making & taking phone calls, emails, talking to staff, and having phone meetings a month before he was on payroll.

He has never been a public servant, he has never lived in Pittsburgh. He is textbook (with an imaginary twist) straight out of many years in the business world, and he is going to treat and apply himself towards Pittsburgh with the same intensity and passion he would in the private sector.

I may be bias, but my husband really cares and is excellent at what he does. There is not a fiber in his being that would allow him to accept anything but doing a top notch job, which includes; Saving the city money, understand the community and improving what he can. He would be bored to tears, and moved to tears if he just sat back and watched.

I have not moved there yet, I have never set foot in the city. It hard for me to be a pessimist since I know they hired a smart honest great guy with a business sense, common sense, and a sense of purpose.

I am looking forward to living in Pittsburgh.

Last edited by Sideblinded; 01-10-2007 at 12:59 AM..

Old 01-11-2007, 05:57 AM
PPG

509 posts, read 1,423,167 times
I can clearly see you are speaking from the "white male with money" demographic. Everyone wasn't born in a bed of roses and everyone does'nt like the "theatre." I am African-American and Pittsburgh is well know to be unfriendly to blacks -read- (they won't hire us and when they do they can't wait to try to get rid of us.) With that being said, if there are no good jobs for whites then there is definitly nothing for us. I personally like places like Columbus Ohio(where I am movin to) where they allow blacks to hold high positions, not just one or two for quotas. And finally I have the right to feel any way I want about anything and so what if you don't like it. Sometimes is just sounds like you (Scranton dude) have your city and state's stick up your booty>

Old 01-11-2007, 11:09 AM

Thank you, Mr. pimpsgangtasandhustlas. I am sure we all appreciate your educated and eloquently written statement. Pittsburgh is a horrible city for blacks, and I am positive that you will be treated much better elsewhere. I heard that in Columbus, they give every African-American a free BMW and a new house, along with $1 million! So yeah, if I were you, I'd definately leave. I mean, why stay in a city that is so unfair to you? Just the other day I saw a black family get kicked out of a restaurant because of their color. Hopefully, Rev. Jesse Jackson will find out about this and come to fix this city.

[End sarcasm]

Good Riddance. Do you think maybe the reason why you can't get a job is because you use a name like "pimpsgangtasandhustlas" and believe that the "white male with money demographic" is out to get you? I sincerely hope you find happiness elsewhere, but don't expect people to cater to you just because of the color of your skin. You fail because you allow yourself to fail. ScrantonWilkesBarre wrote an EXCELLENT post, and you belittle him for pointing out how great this city can be? If you don't like it here, fine, please leave. We're much better off without people like you who want to do nothing but complain.

Old 01-11-2007, 03:25 PM

3 posts, read 12,113 times
Excellent post ScrantonWilkesBarre! That makes me excited to be looking at coming to Pittsburgh! It seems like a place where there is alot of positive difference to be made, which is exciting.

Old 01-11-2007, 03:28 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
At the risk of your ire, Tom, I must say that the poster probably does have a legitimate beef. I was surprised how little Pittsburgh is integrated, and how difficult it must be for a AA/Black person to get a decent job. With jobs scarce and competition fierce, I can see how frustrating it can be for many.

And while the poster clearly exhibited his anger and although I don't like some of the tone people use, their opinions are as warranted as mine

I admire your cheer leading, of course, as I am a big fan of Pittsburgh's potential.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinenjim View Post
From what I have seen the majority of black people in Pittsburgh live in poverty. It's sad, but true.

The truth is that the majority of blacks in AMERICA live in poverty. There is nothing special about Pittsburgh.

I went to college with plenty of BRILLIANT African-Americans who were from the Pittsburgh area. Never once did I hear THEM complain about how blacks are mistreated in this city. The ones I have talked to are doing quite fine; many of them are still in the area.

Call me naive, but I truly believe that if you work hard and get an education you will be rewarded, regardless of color. Coming out of school, I had several job offers in the region, and I was far from the top of my class. If you are going to sit and wallow in self-pity and complain about how there are no jobs in this city, then you probably will not find a job.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:07 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom6623 View Post
Thank you, Mr. pimpsgangtasandhustlas. I am sure we all appreciate your educated and eloquently written statement. Pittsburgh is a horrible city for blacks, and I am positive that you will be treated much better elsewhere. I heard that in Columbus, they give every African-American a free BMW and a new house, along with $1 million! So yeah, if I were you, I'd definately leave. I mean, why stay in a city that is so unfair to you? Just the other day I saw a black family get kicked out of a restaurant because of their color. Hopefully, Rev. Jesse Jackson will find out about this and come to fix this city.

[End sarcasm]

Good Riddance. Do you think maybe the reason why you can't get a job is because you use a name like "pimpsgangtasandhustlas" and believe that the "white male with money demographic" is out to get you? I sincerely hope you find happiness elsewhere, but don't expect people to cater to you just because of the color of your skin. You fail because you allow yourself to fail. ScrantonWilkesBarre wrote an EXCELLENT post, and you belittle him for pointing out how great this city can be? If you don't like it here, fine, please leave. We're much better off without people like you who want to do nothing but complain.
I'm sure PG&H can speak for himself, but IMO your response is patronizing and uncalled for. While I have disagreed with PG&H on a number of occasions, I have not found his posts or his tone to be particularly inflammatory or combative, and I think he deserves the same courtesy. Unlike some Pittsburgh complainers, at least he's actually doing something about his circumstance: He's looking for opportunity wherever he thinks he can find it. Good for him. I'm sorry he feels like he has to leave Pittsburgh to find it, but hey, he sure won't be the first or the last. Hell, I did it too, and I'm a college-educated white male. It sure beats sitting around and b*tching and doing NOTHING like too many Pittsburghers do.

You're right, you fail because you choose to fail. He has chosen not to fail, which is why he's looking for opportunity (and not looking for anyone to hand him a BMW or a million dollars) elsewhere. If he had chosen failure, he'd be resigned to his fate. He hasn't, and he isn't. Some peoples' opportunities are someplace different than where they are right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh