Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 03:25 PM

33 posts, read 123,638 times

Advertisements

Just bought my first house in Morningside! Anyone live here? Thoughts on commuting? Is there a place to get coffee in the neighborhood? Food?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 05:29 PM

325 posts, read 1,077,428 times
Morningside is just a small little residential area. I grew up about 5 minutes away in a little rougher area. If you are looking for restaurants and coffee shop type things you are going to have to venture to either the Waterworks Mall area or Highland Ave. Its going be at least a 10 minute drive either way. There are some really nice spots along S. Highland Ave mainly Abay and Casbah and Buffalo Blues for the sports bar atmoshphere. There is also a Starbucks, Whole Foods, and a bookstore over in that area also a Walgreens I think. I think there are restaurants over in the Aspinwall area, but I dont know much about them. Also, lots of choices at Waterworks.

As far as commuting.....where too? There is some bus service in that area but its not that great. Its ok if you are going downtown during normal business hours.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:50 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,375,591 times
There's a coffee shop on the corner of Stanton and Negley. Major bus stop too. Negley Avenue will take you straight into Shadyside. Maybe there is still a supermarket in East Liberty or go to Lawrenceville.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:56 PM

84 posts, read 411,413 times
The Market District is in Shadyside and Whole Foods and Trader Joes are in East Lib. both like 10 min or less away from Morningside.

The Coffee shop on Stanton and Negley is a really cute little coffee shop. Also there is a Starbucks less than 10 min. away in East Lib. by Whole Foods. Crazy Mocha is in Shadyside also.

Morningside is such a cute little area, there is a First Commonwealth Bank there and also a really good dentist. It's right by Highland Park and that is also a pretty area. I live in Highland Park and I love it. Morningside always seemed like such a friendly area.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowACityGirl View Post
The Market District is in Shadyside and Whole Foods and Trader Joes are in East Lib. both like 10 min or less away from Morningside.

The Coffee shop on Stanton and Negley is a really cute little coffee shop. Also there is a Starbucks less than 10 min. away in East Lib. by Whole Foods. Crazy Mocha is in Shadyside also.

Morningside is such a cute little area, there is a First Commonwealth Bank there and also a really good dentist. It's right by Highland Park and that is also a pretty area. I live in Highland Park and I love it. Morningside always seemed like such a friendly area.

Great, thanks for the replies! Definitely familiar with all of the restaurants outside and around Morningside, just really wish there was a place to get a coffee IN Morningside! Maybe in a few years.

Hmm, I've been looking for a new dentist, it's nice to hear that the guy in Morningside is good.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:11 PM

10 posts, read 53,857 times
Hi,
check out the bakery on the corner across from the pizza place behind Jancy street. not sure what time they open. can't remember if it morningside ave-use to know the street names- great bachi leagues in area-hope you find your am coffee.
My doctor and dentist are in that area. The dentist is not longer there as of march 2008- I also have to find a new one.
welcome to the area-my old stomping grounds-still very nice place to live for the city,Penn Hills is my stomping grounds now-love it.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:31 AM

29 posts, read 116,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GStreetShuffle View Post
Great, thanks for the replies! Definitely familiar with all of the restaurants outside and around Morningside, just really wish there was a place to get a coffee IN Morningside! Maybe in a few years.

Hmm, I've been looking for a new dentist, it's nice to hear that the guy in Morningside is good.

Dr. Decroo is my family's dentist, and no complaints.

And there WILL be a coffeeshop opening on Chislett St. this summer, I think! In the meantime, Enrico's Tazza D'Oro in Highland Park, just off Bryant St., is great. Don't forget the Union Project Cafe on Negley and Stanton!

Old 07-07-2008, 06:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,222 times
Eddie's Pizza Haus is super cheap and good. Stagno's, the italian bakery, is closing it's doors, but, last I heard, a restaurant or coffee shop is going into the space.

Commuting from M'Side on the bus is easy-peasy, there are 2 routes that come through here, one that goes through Friendship, Bloomfield, the Strip District on to downtown, and another that runs from East Liberty through here out to the Waterworks mall. Either bus can get you to connectors for other destinations. Fox Chapel is maybe a 10 minute drive and Highland Park is about 5 minutes. East Liberty and Shadyside are 10 minutes away by car at most.

St Raphaels Bazaar is coming up in the middle of August, check it out! Typical church bazaar stuff, gambling booths and games, a flea market, food, but fun. There's soccer, football, softball, baseball, and bocce leagues here, and if you're bored wander up to Natoli Field (everyone here still calls it Morningside field, though!) during little league season and enjoy super cheap concessions and take in a game!

Old 07-08-2008, 10:33 AM

43 posts, read 98,032 times
Welcome to the neighborhood!

Morningside is a perfect location for commuting downtown by PAT bus. The 77F runs fairly regularly during the week and the ride during rush hours takes around twenty minutes.

The neighborhood is currently undertaking a business district revitalization plan so look for major improvements such a new street trees and storefronts in the coming months. DropkickPA is correct that Stagno's is closing, but a new restaurant operated by the people who own the Monterrey Pub in the Mexican War Streets will open in the renovated space.

If you're looking to become active in the neighborhood's affairs, the Morningside Area Community Council http://morningside-pa.org/ meets the first Monday of every month.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:54 PM

Any new info on when the restaurant will open?

What is the Monterrey Pub like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh