Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 09:57 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,710,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
As I said several times over, it wasn't so much rape and murder as the illogic of the statement "people are going to do drugs anyway, so let's just legalize them". I also said I wasn't a supporter of the "war on drugs". Drugs are a problem when people become addicted, and then they and their families become society's problem to support. I do not support legalizing anything else.
Prostitution. I've never paid or been paid for sex, but it seems that legalization and regulation would go a long way toward solving the obvious problems of the world's oldest profession. Textbook example of something that will always be done, so why not make it legal and safer. While I don't feel like going and retrieving statistics, STD rates in Nevada brothels are pretty low compared to anywhere else sex is sold. Like drugs, prostitution should be removed from the streets and the world would be a much better place.

I just sucker-punched the tough guy in the bar. Now I'm slipping out the back door, I've said all I need to say on this subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 10:03 PM

125 posts, read 398,585 times
Quote:
As I said several times over, it wasn't so much rape and murder as the illogic of the statement "people are going to do drugs anyway, so let's just legalize them".
I am the poster who made that statement - in my post I said since people are going to do it anyway, let's make some money off of it.
What if it was a law that no one was allowed to wear stilettos... and then some people still wore them. I would say, well if they pay a high tax on the stilettos, I am okay with it since they are just going to be the ones that have to deal with the blisters.
I didn't suggest that all illegal activity should be legal because people would do it anyway; I simply said that in this case I think it should be legal and people are going to do it anyway.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles1821 View Post
I am the poster who made that statement - in my post I said since people are going to do it anyway, let's make some money off of it.
What if it was a law that no one was allowed to wear stilettos... and then some people still wore them. I would say, well if they pay a high tax on the stilettos, I am okay with it since they are just going to be the ones that have to deal with the blisters.
I didn't suggest that all illegal activity should be legal because people would do it anyway; I simply said that in this case I think it should be legal and people are going to do it anyway.
Stilettos don't kill people, people kill people.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:24 PM

125 posts, read 398,585 times
And that's why you regulate the stilettos - maybe only two inch heels instead of four inchers!

Old 06-27-2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles1821 View Post
And that's why you regulate the stilettos - maybe only two inch heels instead of four inchers!
While I find four inches excessive, it's a slippery slope to draw the line. Legalization, not decriminalization. All shoes should be legal, except maybe Birkenstocks. No, all shoes.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Prostituion: I have heard this rap about "victimless crimes" before. It turns out that prostitution is NOT such a victimless crime after all, and it is often the prostitute who is the victim. If you guys think legalizing something that is now illegal is going to put the crooks and criminals out of business, you are quite naive. They always seem to find a racket.

PS: Grow up, guys!

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 06-27-2008 at 10:50 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 06-27-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Prostituion: I have heard this rap about "victimless crimes" before. It turns out that prostitution is NOT such a victimless crime after all, and it is often the prostitute who is the victim. If you guys think legalizing something that is now illegal is going to put the crooks and criminals out of business, you are quite naive. They always seem to find a racket.

PS: Grow up, guys!
I haven't seen any overt signs of immaturity here, so I don't know what "grow up guys" is all about.

Prostitution as a victimless crime can be argued till the cows come home, but it's still a transaction between two consenting adults. Legalization would remove the pimp from the equation. There's nothing naive about that.

There are no two groups more destructive to civilized, free society than liberals and conservatives. Come back, George Carlin!

Old 06-27-2008, 11:00 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,001,421 times
Quote:
I also said I wasn't a supporter of the "war on drugs". . . . I do not support legalizing anything else.
But that is my point: our ongoing "war on drugs" is a direct product of making the relevant drugs illegal, and conversely if you give up on trying to enforce those laws you are de facto legalizing the relevant drugs.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:05 PM

Skydiving is extremely risky behavior, and the possibility of someone with a faulty parachute landing on me makes it a sensible candidate for banning. The pursuit of happiness is a strange and winding road, but a dusty old document in the country in which I was born guarantees it for me. Why is it so hard for people to understand?

One day, this country will either be a theocracy or a nanny state and I'm not sure which would be worse.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
I haven't seen any overt signs of immaturity here, so I don't know what "grow up guys" is all about.

The thing about the stiletto heels.

Prostitution as a victimless crime can be argued till the cows come home, but it's still a transaction between two consenting adults. Legalization would remove the pimp from the equation. There's nothing naive about that.

There are no two groups more destructive to civilized, free society than liberals and conservatives. Come back, George Carlin!
Well, maybe. Most people work for busineses, whether they are physicists or prostitues. Someone has to run the show, recruit the employees, etc. And if prostitution became legal, the crooks would find something else illegal to do. Last time I checked, Nevada was not a crime-free state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh