Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2008, 05:06 PM

28 posts, read 108,377 times

Advertisements

I am looking into renting an apartment on Coal Street near the corner of Walnut Street in Wilkinsburg, that is supposed to be close to the boarder with Edgewood.
Before I decide I was wondering if you nice folks from the forum could help me discover more about this Street.
I have read quite a bit of negative things regarding Wilkinsburg, but I do not know if it pertains specifically to this section of the city?

Thank you kindly up front for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 10:05 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,377,605 times
One side of Walnut Street is Wilkinsburg and the other side is Edgewood. Coal Street, I believe, is a block or 2 from Swissvale Avenue which is a main drag. I haven't been there in years but it used to be a nice area and I imagine it's far enough away from Wilkinsburg proper that it should be reasonably safe. You have two police depts. patroling Walnut St. which may be enough presence to deter the bad elements and I can't recall ever hearing about that particular area on the news for anything. Rebecca Avenue is a few blocks away and there is trouble there often. It's not as nice an area. Also, the Edgewood police station is only a couple blocks from your location.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:55 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,026,276 times
That is a quirky little area ... it is distinct from the section of Edgewood across Swissvale and up Maple Avenue, and not quite as gentrified as the sections of Edgewood/Wilkinsburg over in Regent Square. But it also distinct from the parts of Wilkinsburg further northeast. More than anything else, it reminds me a bit of Park Place (the informal neighborhood straddling the border between Point Breeze and Wilkinsburg over near Braddock south of Penn).

Anyway, I personally wouldn't have a problem living there. And for what it is worth, you'd have great access for the Hamnett stop on the Busway (which is actually between Ramsey and Woodworth, so a block north of Walnut ... and someday I will need to get someone to explain to me how it got named after Hamnett).

Edit: Well, I just did some quick research and answered my own question. Apparently that section between Coal, Walnut, the Busway, and Rebecca is an informal neighborhood known as "Hamnett Place", and it even has its own neighborhood association.

Last edited by BrianTH; 08-14-2008 at 11:08 PM..

Old 08-15-2008, 02:32 PM

71 posts, read 187,941 times
Too close to "gun town usa" as i call it. Me personally, i would never live anywhere near Wilkinsburg or Edgewood, even Swissvale for that matter. Just way too many negatives. Just my opinion though. You would be much better off on the northern side of Allegheny County.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:02 AM

136 posts, read 691,516 times
I think edgewood visually is very nice. and my buddy lived on the edge of wilksburg and never had problems. That said swissvale and wilkinsburg are definitely not the best area's. perhaps it would be best if you spend some personal time there...maybe at night help give you an idea of what you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh