Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 07:32 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,369,746 times

Advertisements

Yeah, Bill Cowher's from Crafton, and he's famous in my book. One of the NFL's best coaches ever. By the way Doc. we're neighbors. I'm in So Cal too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 08:58 PM

34 posts, read 122,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
Yeah, Bill Cowher's from Crafton, and he's famous in my book. One of the NFL's best coaches ever. By the way Doc. we're neighbors. I'm in So Cal too.

Really? Do you miss Pittsburgh?

Old 07-10-2008, 09:20 PM

34 posts, read 122,260 times
Quote:
Cowher was a good coach in my book. He sometimes was a little stubborn though (as in we're going to run the ball because that's what we do even though we can't run the ball very well today). He actually does a good job on the NFL pregame shows.

I'd have to wear Eric Dickerson goggles if he was my coach.

Speaking of Dickerson, it is kind of funny how he intentionally enunciates Willie Parker's name on the Local NFL postgame show (Willeeeee Parrker). He seems to think Parker's a pretty good back (which he is).

Kind of got off topic. Can't remember if anyone listed Henry Mancini yet (composer). Fahrid Murray Abraham (i.e. F. Murray Abraham) is another famous actor from Pittsburgh (remember him from Amadeus back in 1985 or 1986. Charles Bronson is from near Pittsburgh originally (Deathwish mopvie series).

I recently learned that Ron Paul originally is from Pittsburgh (Green Tree area; not trying to be political). Was a surprise.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:48 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,809,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_medich View Post
Curtis Martin

Larry Brown (not the Steelers OL man, but a RB for the Washington Redskins in the early 1970s) also was from Pittsburgh. So was Ray Zellers I believe (went to Pitt and then played for the NO Saints and maybe another NFL team).

There actually are quite a few pro sports player from Western PA. Jin Brady was from near East Brady I believe. There are a lot more famous actors and actresses from the area as well. There's one who recently had a cable talk show (cannot recall his name; I think his first name is Robert and he haiuls from Highland Park). I can't recall all of their names. My great uncle would know their names though.

That's one thing I miss about Western Pennylvania. Everyone tends to be friendlier and willing to help when help is needed. I now live in Southern California (sadly). Totally different story here. Everyone needs to use Head and Shoulders Shampoo-cuz there's flakes everywhere .
Jim Kelly was from East Brady. I know Ray Zellers, he went to Notre Dame, not Pitt. You may be thinking of Kevan Barlow, who went to Peabody, played for Pitt, and then the 49ers. Of course Curtis Martin came out of Allderdice, starred for Pitt, and then played for the Patriots and Jets, and should end up in the Hall of Fame. Former Utah Senator Orrin Hatch was from here as well.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:11 AM

362 posts, read 920,491 times
...........Johnny Unitas. Pittsburgh. Went to St. Justins HS.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:23 AM

76 posts, read 274,395 times
Mary Cassatt (May 22, 1844 – June 14, 1926) was an American painter and printmaker. She lived much of her adult life in France, where she first befriended Edgar Degas and later exhibited among the Impressionists.
Born in Allegheny City (the current P-burgh North Side).

Martha Graham (May 11, 1894 – April 1, 1991) was an American dancer and choreographer regarded as one of the foremost pioneers of modern dance, whose influence on dance can be compared to the influence Stravinsky had on music, Picasso had on the visual arts and Frank Lloyd Wright had on architecture.
Also born in Allegheny City.

These two ladies have PA historical markers close to where their original homes were in Allegheny City.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:40 AM

632 posts, read 1,741,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chautauquast View Post
Mary Cassatt (May 22, 1844 – June 14, 1926) was an American painter and printmaker. She lived much of her adult life in France, where she first befriended Edgar Degas and later exhibited among the Impressionists.
Born in Allegheny City (the current P-burgh North Side).
I just found this out the other day myself and was excited, because Mary Cassatt has been my favorite painter since I was a teenager!

Old 07-11-2008, 08:19 AM

125 posts, read 399,100 times
Random and not really famous, but both Tim Allen (of Home Improvement, etc.) and Dustin Diamond (Screech from Saved by the Bell) have wives that are from Pittsburgh. Screech met his wife at a Pgh Arby's and I know Tim Allen said in an interview that his wife has tons of Steelers stuff since this is her hometown. Howard Stern is also engaged to a Pittsburgh girl.
We burgh ladies really know how to land men hahaha

Old 07-11-2008, 09:24 AM

73,145 posts, read 62,819,287 times
Quote:
Hell yes, why not? And from the same sport, why do I think Honus Wagner was a native Pittsburgher?
Stan Musial and Ken Griffey Sr. were also born in the same town. Musial and Jr. Griffey were born on the same birthday(49 years apart anyway).

Old 07-11-2008, 10:52 AM

2,751 posts, read 5,369,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Jim Kelly was from East Brady. I know Ray Zellers, he went to Notre Dame, not Pitt. You may be thinking of Kevan Barlow, who went to Peabody, played for Pitt, and then the 49ers. Of course Curtis Martin came out of Allderdice, starred for Pitt, and then played for the Patriots and Jets, and should end up in the Hall of Fame. Former Utah Senator Orrin Hatch was from here as well.
Jim Kelly, I think we had, but Curtis Martin, right! That was the name I was searching for a few pages back. Orrin Hatch? I didn't know that. Good call.

We had Musial and Griffey and Unitas too...but Mary Cassat and Martha Graham are new ones, good ones.

Mancini and Ron Paul we had, but Bronson's a good one. F. Murray Abraham I think was born there but left to go South as a kid.

Just thought of another like Bronson who was from some coal town outside of Pittsburgh: Jack Palance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh