Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 11:05 AM

2,751 posts, read 5,362,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_medich View Post
Really? Do you miss Pittsburgh?
I do, probably old friends more than the city, but I do miss the centralized nature of Pittsburgh. I like Pgh's downtown better than downtown L.A. I like Oakland better than say Westwood or the area around USC. I hate the summers in L.A., though today is a rare cloudy day between June and September. I miss the drastic change of seasons you get in the Northern half of the U.S. I miss the cobblestone streets and little Ethnic neighborhoods in Pgh. I miss the crisp Autumn afternoons, and the first big snowfall, and today I miss the Summer rains!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 11:08 AM

34 posts, read 122,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
Jim Kelly, I think we had, but Curtis Martin, right! That was the name I was searching for a few pages back. Orrin Hatch? I didn't know that. Good call.

We had Musial and Griffey and Unitas too...but Mary Cassat and Martha Graham are new ones, good ones.

Mancini and Ron Paul we had, but Bronson's a good one. F. Murray Abraham I think was born there but left to go South as a kid.

Just thought of another like Bronson who was from some coal town outside of Pittsburgh: Jack Palance!

Did not know that about Jack Palance. The current either president or CEO of Disneyland (cannot recall his name) originally is from Pittsburgh. The late Johnny Carson's wife also is from Pittsburgh (North Hills area I believe).

There's an ex Miami Dolphins player (from the early 70s & was a member of the 72 team) who was living in the North Hills about 25 years ago, but I cannot recall his name. He used to show up to some little league baseball games (his son may have been on the same team as my brother). Not sure if he originally is from Pittsburgh (may have been), but he'd have to count. I think he was either an OL man or played on the defensive side.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_medich View Post
There's an ex Miami Dolphins player (from the early 70s & was a member of the 72 team) who was living in the North Hills about 25 years ago, but I cannot recall his name.
Mercury Morris?

Just saw the end of your post. Morris of course was a running back.

Last edited by ExPit; 07-11-2008 at 12:39 PM..

Old 07-11-2008, 01:32 PM

34 posts, read 122,162 times
Default No, it wan't Mercury Morris

It's going to bug me now. I was much younger, and knew most of that era's Dolphin starters (from reading). I want to say Manny Fernandez, but I'm sure it wasn't him.

The only reason I knew of this person being there is because my dad told me.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:55 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,799,367 times
Mercury Morris is from Avalon.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:00 PM

Oh, I got one. Madelyn Murray O'Hair was from Brookline. I remember she was the guest on the local talk show, Pittsburgh Today, back in the early 80's. The crowd of middle aged women was fairly hostile, and someone told O'Hair that her beliefs didn't fly here. She laughed, and said "I'm from here. I grew up in Brookline". You could actually hear the crowd groan. It was really funny.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Oh, I got one. Madelyn Murray O'Hair was from Brookline. I remember she was the guest on the local talk show, Pittsburgh Today, back in the early 80's. The crowd of middle aged women was fairly hostile, and someone told O'Hair that her beliefs didn't fly here. She laughed, and said "I'm from here. I grew up in Brookline". You could actually hear the crowd groan. It was really funny.
I might embarrass myself here, but she was the renowned atheist, right?

Old 07-11-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
I might embarrass myself here, but she was the renowned atheist, right?
Yep!

Old 07-11-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Yep!
Saw a documentary on her a while back; killed in some small southern town or something; don't know if that case was resolved.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:47 AM

31 posts, read 79,030 times
Default Doowopmarine

I'm from the east suberbs so here are 2 famous athletes. Jim Blanda from
Youngwood who was quarterback forever with Oakland Raiders and played
well into his 40s. Also kicked kicked field goals. Leon Hart from Turtle Creek played offensive end and was a 4 year All American at Notre Dame.
He then played with The Detroit Lions in the early 50s. Donna Jean Young
from East McKeesport -comedian. Ron Harper from Turtle Creek was an
actor in a 50s tv series about an airline pilot. The Vogues singing group
from Turtle Creek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh