Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2007, 01:03 PM

2 posts, read 4,406 times

Advertisements

Hi all --

I might be relocating to Pittsburgh (Aliquippa) to accept a new position. I am looking for a commute of 30 minutes or under. I would like to live close to the city as I'm in my early 20s and enjoy city life but prefer a safe environment. Any suggestions??

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 06:57 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Local natives can correct me if I'm mistaken, but judging from what I've seen on Google Earth and have researched online, Coraopolis looks like it may be a good fit. It's approximately midway between Aliquippa and Pittsburgh, and while it looks to be a bit "distressed"-looking with some blight that is typical of older, former industrial towns, I couldn't find reference to any major "crime issues" online. It looks to be mostly full of older residents and older, affordable homes with a sleepy location along the Ohio River. Be sure to inquire about potential future flooding in the area though, as PA riverside communities can tend to be very flood-prone (As Wilkes-Barre knows all too well).

Old 01-17-2007, 01:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,406 times
Thanks!!! I've been looking into Sewickley as well.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:08 PM

12 posts, read 52,082 times
Sewickley is a very cute/quaint town. There's an actual downtown area (as opposed to suburban sprawl), and it's within short walking distance from the neighborhood homes (mostly lovely old Victorians). Living in Sewickley, you would also have a fairly easy commute to Aliquippa. The main drawback is that real estate in Sewickley is fairly expensive compared to other areas in Pittsburgh.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:12 PM

14 posts, read 57,246 times
Default Aliquippa

You did not say what type of housing you are looking for. I would recommend Moon Township for you. It is only ten minutes away from Aliquippa, it is 20 minutes away from Pittsburgh. It is a safer area than Coraopolis. Sewickley is also a nice area for you. However, unless you rent an apartment in an older house, which probably has been divided, you are going to be looking at cost. Forest Glen Condominiums is a great place to live. There are rentals as well as personally owned condos there. You have a swimming pool there and I believe tennis courts. It has a diverse age range. You are five minutes from the airport and it is close to shopping.

Old 01-25-2007, 09:30 AM

1,360 posts, read 2,951,310 times
Aliquippa to Coraopolis- thats a pretty distressed area. The side of Coraopolis that borders Moon is OK. krland223 made a good suggestion if you don't mind living out in the suburbs. Taxes are somewhat higher in Moon and Robinson though. Sewickley is a beautiful little town , but very expensive. For similar and more affordable homes you might actually try a little closer to Pittsburgh, like Emsworth, Avalon, or Ben Avon. You might also look into Beaver further west. Beware of Ambridge, Aliquippa, Beaver Falls. Aside from a few sore spots there are a lot of options within 30 min. of Aliquippa!

Last edited by stevo6; 01-25-2007 at 09:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh