Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 09:26 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Have there been any studies showing that private liquor stores such as we have in CO are any more likely to sell alcohol to the underage than State Stores? I mean, you have to show ID, and how much of an obligation does an employee have to check the ID closely to see if it's not fake? The revenue comes from taxes, it shouldn't matter whether the store is public or private, the tax is collected just the same. In addition, the state store employees salaries have to be paid by the state, and the state property is probably exempt from taxation, so it would seem, at first glance anyway, that it would be more profitable for the state to privatize the stores.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:40 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Have there been any studies showing that private liquor stores such as we have in CO are any more likely to sell alcohol to the underage than State Stores? I mean, you have to show ID, and how much of an obligation does an employee have to check the ID closely to see if it's not fake? The revenue comes from taxes, it shouldn't matter whether the store is public or private, the tax is collected just the same. In addition, the state store employees salaries have to be paid by the state, and the state property is probably exempt from taxation, so it would seem, at first glance anyway, that it would be more profitable for the state to privatize the stores.
Those are all good points, and for what it is worth, my personal guess is that this is ultimately more a matter of a particular set of bureaucrats trying to hold onto power (as opposed to any legitimate benefit for the state government or public at large).

Old 07-09-2008, 09:47 AM

I agree.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:21 AM

632 posts, read 1,740,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I agree.
As do I.

This is a momentous occasion on City-Data Forum - Brian & Subdivisions & Katiana all agree on something!

Old 07-09-2008, 10:34 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
The LCB is probably second only to the Turnpike Commission when it comes to patronage jobs. IT WILL NEVER GO AWAY.

On the bright side, my local watering hole has buck 50 drafts every day from 4-6. And that's for an import, all the way from Latrobe.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdivisions View Post
As do I.

This is a momentous occasion on City-Data Forum - Brian & Subdivisions & Katiana all agree on something!
Break out the Champagne! I'll let my just turned 21 yr old daughter go to the private liquor store and buy it.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:16 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,070,295 times
The State Stores are open on Sunday now and the State Store Supercenters are open even later hours every night.

Tallysmom is right, too, large grocery stores are now getting licenses to have mini-state stores contained within them.

It's not THAT inconvenient, sheesh. Then again, I'm used to it. The laws are slowly becoming more lax. You can beer at several Sheetz, too.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:23 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
The State Stores are open on Sunday now and the State Store Supercenters are open even later hours every night.

Tallysmom is right, too, large grocery stores are now getting licenses to have mini-state stores contained within them.

It's not THAT inconvenient, sheesh. Then again, I'm used to it. The laws are slowly becoming more lax. You can beer at several Sheetz, too.
most supermarkets do not have wine stores in them. the PLCB state stores frequently have higher price, though not always. the employees are clueless about the product they sell (that is, perhaps the biggest shocker in other states, finding helpful, knowledgable employees/proprietors) and act in your typical soviet manner...have a question? blow it up your ass. additionally, I've suspected for a while that wine is frequently stored improperly by the PLCB and this is one of the reasons I get poor tasting wine here. Indeed, former PLCB chairman Neumann (who was ousted for a patronage pick) cited his frustrations in improving wine buying only to find the wine in unairconditioned storage. It's hard to imagine anyone defending the arcane system where the state buys, stores, and distributes all wine and liquor...adds a 30% markup plus the 18% johnstown flood tax plus the 6% sales tax. taverns are so lucky as to receive a discount...on the johnstown flood tax. It's highway robbery. the plcb is also the biggest obstacle in PA developing wine production.
on a recent trip to Italy I found wine and beer on the street yet there weren't roving hoardes of drunken hoodlams.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:20 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,155,506 times
Quote:
For example, D's Six Pax in my area has around 1000 beers available including many, many craft beers and imports, and you can buy mix-and-match six packs at a discount of $1 off per bottle (or $6 per six pack).
The selection at this place is so-so (Most of the craft brews are local) and its a complete mess. But the biggest issue is the price. Its almost double the cost seen in many other states.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:18 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
most supermarkets do not have wine stores in them. the PLCB state stores frequently have higher price, though not always. the employees are clueless about the product they sell (that is, perhaps the biggest shocker in other states, finding helpful, knowledgable employees/proprietors) and act in your typical soviet manner...have a question? blow it up your ass. additionally, I've suspected for a while that wine is frequently stored improperly by the PLCB and this is one of the reasons I get poor tasting wine here. Indeed, former PLCB chairman Neumann (who was ousted for a patronage pick) cited his frustrations in improving wine buying only to find the wine in unairconditioned storage. It's hard to imagine anyone defending the arcane system where the state buys, stores, and distributes all wine and liquor...adds a 30% markup plus the 18% johnstown flood tax plus the 6% sales tax. taverns are so lucky as to receive a discount...on the johnstown flood tax. It's highway robbery. the plcb is also the biggest obstacle in PA developing wine production.
on a recent trip to Italy I found wine and beer on the street yet there weren't roving hoardes of drunken hoodlams.
I believe that the state liquor taxes are built into the price of liquor here in CA. Again, it seems that PA could impose the tax without having to do the distribution and sales. It seems like such a stupid system. It also seems that it must curtail any local craft brews, wine merchants, etc that could be a vital part of the state's economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh