Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 10:02 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,495,701 times

Advertisements

I hope I'm not going to cause trouble with this one but I was wondering if we could get some discussion about what YOU would like to see in Pittsburgh?

I'm not sure if there's any other thread like this...sorry if there is.

But anyway...what I mean is what would you like to see happen in Pittsburgh? This can be as simple as "I'd like to see Crate & Barrel open at Ross Park" or something more serious like "I'd like to see [insert neighborhood] revitalized" etc.

Either way...I suppose anything goes. Interested to see what people come up with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 10:06 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,066,997 times
I'd like to see Mt. Washington utilized to the extend that it should be. It is, without question, one of the most unique and beautiful places in all of America and although there are a few random places on Grandview that could be considered nice, I think the spaces up there are completely wasted.

I don't mean tearing down historic buildings or burning Grandview to the ground and building cookie-cutter condo's, however, that is some MAJOR real-estate that has potential that is leap years ahead of what's up there currently.

That should be the most expensive, sought-after property in Western Pennsylvania. And while it certainly isn't cheap to buy property on Grandview, I think it's looking tired, dated, and drab.

It could be home to some spectacular projects.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:19 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
1) I'd like to see the end of the Democratic party stronghold on this region.

2) I'd like yinzers to realize that the mills and manufacturing are not coming back, so please concentrate on education.

3) I'd like our local politicians to concentrate on bringing business into this area in addition to lining their own pockets, since that's the only way it will happen.

4) I'd like the Pirates to win the World Series.

Sadly, number 4 may happen in 100 years, and it will be the only one.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:20 AM

85 posts, read 373,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
I'd like to see Mt. Washington utilized to the extend that it should be. It is, without question, one of the most unique and beautiful places in all of America and although there are a few random places on Grandview that could be considered nice, I think the spaces up there are completely wasted.

I don't mean tearing down historic buildings or burning Grandview to the ground and building cookie-cutter condo's, however, that is some MAJOR real-estate that has potential that is leap years ahead of what's up there currently.

That should be the most expensive, sought-after property in Western Pennsylvania. And while it certainly isn't cheap to buy property on Grandview, I think it's looking tired, dated, and drab.

It could be home to some spectacular projects.
Yes! This is exactly what I think every time I'm in Pittsburgh. Mount Washington is great as it is but could use some serious revamping.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:30 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,706,370 times
1) Further development of the "T" light rail system to include Oakland, the Airport, and East Suburbs. The major hurdle facing this goal is $$, so the challenge is a significant one.

2) More Hotels near the convention center so that Pittsburgh can host larger conventions, such as the presidential conventions which require more hotel rooms than we currently have.

3) Better utilization of the rivers and the riverfront areas. River taxis could be fun as they take you from the strip to the waterfront (esp. with gas at $4 a gallon). Also, the river banks could offer more unique dining and drinking opportunities in the summer months.

4) Continued delevopment of the downtown area as a place to live - not just work. The condo delevopments are a good start, as are the plans to return Market square to a pedestrian freindly and trendy area.

5) Pirates World Series victory (sorry, I couldn't resist).

Old 07-07-2008, 07:33 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Also, the river banks could offer more unique dining and drinking opportunities in the summer months.
This really surprised me when I first moved here. In Cincinnati, there are restaurants on barges and with huge decks who really take advantage of being on the river, whereas here, aside from some places with views on Mt. WAshington, there's really not much.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:08 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,361,986 times
I'd like to see Pittsburgh get a real shot in the arm from some other industry, even a non-industrial industry. Anything that will bring an influx of new money and people and development.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:23 PM

29 posts, read 116,333 times
I would love to see some of the rusted out warehouses and abandoned plants torn down, rebuilt in their footprints some great green work space that offers 1-2 year grants to start-up companies focusing on robotics/biotech. Like an artist colony for business with growth potential.

LIGHT RAIL. It shouldn't take me 2 hours to get from Morningside to Squirrel Hill on public transit.

And while we're dreaming... yes, I would love a Crate and Barrel in Ross Park Mall! Or even better -- Waterworks! On second thought, if I lived 2 miles from a C&B I would be very very very VERY poor!

Old 07-07-2008, 08:20 PM

54 posts, read 255,742 times
Giant Eagle needs some competition from Wegmans. Why doe GE have a monopoly here? Wegman's produce is the only reason I shopped there while living in Rochester and Baltimore. It is cheap and fresh. GE not so much.....

Old 07-07-2008, 09:10 PM

758 posts, read 1,226,296 times
Expansion of the "T" Oakland to Airport..seems most other cities have this(Cleveland has the Rapid)..Bus system where you pay in the front and exit the back..(like NYC)..

Massive influx of new people in terms of class and diversity...this would change the old
Mill mindset that holds Pittsburgh back..if the diversity of Oakland, Shadyside and Sq.Hill
could be repeated triple all over the city..making Pittsburgh a mini-New York between
Cleveland and Philly..if the population jumped to 600.000..then I would not have to go
to NYC to party less often..

A large new industry that would draw lots of people here and change Pittsburgh as we know it into a mini-New York in terms of everything..govt, dating,Arts etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh