Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 04:48 AM

314 posts, read 848,928 times

Advertisements

So we have been here almost two weeks now and are enjoying ourselves immensely. With all the busyness that accompanies such a momentous move, we have not been able to do as much as I would like but, so far, Pgh has been great.
I am glad we chose West View as our initial introductory area. I love the small town feel of it and the unbelivable convenience. We are 5 miles to downtown and, yet, I feel like we in some outlying hamlet. We also have all the suburban shopping anyone could ever want (except, perhaps, a Wal-Mart) at our back door. Its like the best of 3 worlds.
I am also astounded everytime I leave the house at what a lush, green city Pgh is. It is, simply, gorgeous.
The wildlife is crazy too. Bunnies, deer and raccoons are evrywhere! People have been sooo unbelievably nice too.
The only complaint I have would be Eat and Park. Maybe it was a fluke but it was the worst dining experience I have ever had. I get a chill just thinking about it
So, thanx everyine for all your helpful info and thanx to 'burghers for making us feel so welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 05:27 AM

632 posts, read 1,739,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxd_13 View Post
So we have been here almost two weeks now and are enjoying ourselves immensely. With all the busyness that accompanies such a momentous move, we have not been able to do as much as I would like but, so far, Pgh has been great.
I am glad we chose West View as our initial introductory area. I love the small town feel of it and the unbelivable convenience. We are 5 miles to downtown and, yet, I feel like we in some outlying hamlet. We also have all the suburban shopping anyone could ever want (except, perhaps, a Wal-Mart) at our back door. Its like the best of 3 worlds.
I am also astounded everytime I leave the house at what a lush, green city Pgh is. It is, simply, gorgeous.
The wildlife is crazy too. Bunnies, deer and raccoons are evrywhere! People have been sooo unbelievably nice too.
The only complaint I have would be Eat and Park. Maybe it was a fluke but it was the worst dining experience I have ever had. I get a chill just thinking about it
So, thanx everyine for all your helpful info and thanx to 'burghers for making us feel so welcome!

I'm glad you like your new home!

Yeah, Eat n' Park pretty much sucks. Your experience wasn't a fluke. I've had a horrible experience almost every time I've gone there also.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:39 AM

314 posts, read 848,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdivisions View Post
I'm glad you like your new home!

Yeah, Eat n' Park pretty much sucks. Your experience wasn't a fluke. I've had a horrible experience almost every time I've gone there also.
It was atrocious and, to add insult to injury, it was expensive crap. My husband got and $8 burger that made a McDonald's $1 double cheeseburger seem like a 14oz filet mignon. I work at Longhorn Steakhouse and, while I know we raen't fine dining by any stretch of the imagination, for $8 you get a gigantic juicy burger. We won't be repeating that experience.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:02 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Eat n' Park is adequate. It's kind of a last resort sort of place.

But, it's good to hear you're settling in well, jinxd!

Old 07-09-2008, 09:12 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Welcome! I'm glad it is going well so far. And feel free to avoid Eat N' Park--I think it is roughly as good as a Denny's, but I don't frequent either.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:52 AM

125 posts, read 398,606 times
ENP is where my friends and I go when it is later and not much else is open. Also, their midnight breakfast buffet is kind of awesome after a night of drinking. Other than that... I try to avoid the place.
Glad you're enjoying Pgh so far!

Old 07-09-2008, 11:22 AM

37 posts, read 104,438 times
Congrats on the move. I see you went to West View. I used to live there long ago when I was a kid (when West View Park was still there). We lived above Buddy's pizza shop next to West View Jr High on Perry Hwy. Is the Isaly's still there on Perry Hwy? My sister and I used to scrounge up change from the couch cushions to go down and there and get ice cream. I loved West View.... glad to hear its still a nice place.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:22 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
I went to West View Jr. High back in the 70s. It started as a high school, then a junior high, now elementary school. Isaly's is still there, I think. And we went to West View Park every summer for the NH school picnic -- with free tickets for one lukewarm milk and one ice cream with a flat spoon that made each bite taste like wood.....
Those were the days. We've long since moved away, but every time we drive past the West View Park shopping center on visits to relatives, we tell the kids about the roller coaster tracks that ran right next to Perry Highway. On calm summer nights, we could even hear the cars and the people screaming, more than a mile away...

Old 07-09-2008, 08:09 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,710,930 times
Wow, I've finally found the mythical Pittsburgh Cheerleaders forum, Negative Nellies need not apply. I've been looking for this since I signed up. I'm even about to erase the little bit of negativity I've found here. You see, I get my car serviced in Dormont and I have a little ritual every time I go there (when I had to get it inspected when I moved here, it was often). Eat N' Park is one of the more reliable places to find a good veggie burger, and theirs is pretty good. I've never had a bad experience in Dormont, and until recently it was the only one I had frequented. However, a couple weeks ago we were out on McKnight for some stupid reason or another, and decided to try it. The first one was way too crowded so we went the quarter mile to the next one on the other side of the road. We sat there for a few minutes, placed our order, got our drinks and waited. After 15 minutes or so, the waitron came out and informed me they were out of veggie burgers, but that she could call down the street to see if they had any. I said "no, thanks" and she apologized and left. After an awkward, cashless moment where I wondered what to do about the drinks, we drained them and headed across the street to Denny's, which can always be counted on, for what it's worth.

Pittsburgh sucks! There are no jobs here and there's NOTHING to do and there aren't enough different ethnic groups and you could cut the air pollution with a knife, which everybody carries 'cause they're all gang members and it's all ghetto. Plus, the houses are all ugly and the plumbing is rusted out and I regret moving here and will for the rest of my life. These are the kind of things we won't be seeing on this forum, right? Please tell me I'm right.

I like West View. It's like a small town. I live in Observatory Hill, right down the road.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:30 PM

11 posts, read 30,042 times
It's nice to see other newcomers enjoying it here, it gives me hope.

I'm having a hard time adjusting to the area and can honestly say I don't like it right now. However, it has more to do with the drastic move from Michigan and lack of support system, social life and knowledge of the area.

I feel like I will always be lost at which direction which area is and how Carnegie (where I ended up living) is related to each and every area. Right now, that's my biggest concern. When I have ventured to different areas I'm in love with them... but, equally as much frusterated with the number of times I got lost getting there

Really though, coming from Michigan (highest unemployment rate in the country), Pittsburgh is fantastic for finding a job, there's a million things to do, it's very diversified, and the houses are amazing. The whole garage under the house thing is new to me.

Anyway, the point to the rant was, I hope I learn to love it as much as you already do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh