Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 07:15 AM

55 posts, read 198,517 times

Advertisements

Hey Folks:

I was originally planning to stay in Pittsburgh for a few days earlier this month, but when I arrived, I noticed that a lot of parts of the city were looking run down. We were originally planning to stay in a days inn over in the monroeville area, but when we arrived, the place looked like a total dump. It's tucked away behind some offices and the views weren't great. Needless to say, we did not check in there. The clerk told us to go towards downtown for a hotel which of course would be a little more expensive. So we arrive at a Hampton Inn. The place was surrounded by a lot of buildings and there's a lot of construction going on there. We checked in there and then checked right out. After that, we left. I thought the area was pretty trashy in a lot of spots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 07:33 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,933,806 times
Thanks for your insight. We respect your opinion.

Did you check out Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, the architecture downtown, The Victorian houses in Friendship, the Mexican War Streets, Ride the Inclines, see the S.S.W., walk on Carson St..................

so, You checked into Monroeville looking for views...............

Last edited by Awesomo.2000; 07-15-2008 at 07:50 AM..

Old 07-15-2008, 07:34 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
So we arrive at a Hampton Inn.
Where? What part of town? I understand that a bad experience can ruin your impression of a city, but it's not really Pittsburgh's fault that you didn't do your research beforehand.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Where?
This post is similair to me going to the Denver forum and writing,

"Hi folks, I came to Denver last week. I stayed next to a Dog food factory in north Denver right next to I-70. The place smelled badly like kibbles and bits. I checked out right away. I then went to Commerce City. The place was run down and factories were everywhere. It smelled too, and looked bad. Denver is trashy in a lot of spots.

Just wanted to stop by and tell you all!.

Good day."

Old 07-15-2008, 07:42 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Well, you certainly had some bad luck with hotels. That Days Inn has gotten pretty bad reviews on TripAdvisor. And from your description, I think you might have been at the Hampton Inn in Oakland. That is ordinarily a fine hotel, but it is true that right now there is a lot of construction going on at the local highway interchange.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Well, you certainly had some bad luck with hotels. That Days Inn has gotten pretty bad reviews on TripAdvisor. And from your description, I think you might have been at the Hampton Inn in Oakland. That is ordinarily a fine hotel, but it is true that right now there is a lot of construction going on at the local highway interchange.

I love the people who are so eager to visit 10% of the bad areas of Pittsburgh(South Oakland) and not take the time to walk around Oakland and check out the stunning architecture.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:52 AM

55 posts, read 198,517 times
I'm pretty sure that there maybe some nice areas in pittsburgh, but I was also in another part of PA that is near the end of it's turnpike before going towards DC, I ate at a taco bell out there and that taco bell was disgusting and out of pepsi. That's where I got my impressions of I don't really like PA. Going east, they should build some more plaza stations. One was like 100 miles away from the other.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
I love the people who are so eager to visit 10% of the bad areas of Pittsburgh(South Oakland) and not take the time to walk around Oakland and check out the stunning architecture.
Indeed--I actually think Oakland is a great place to stay for a Pittsburgh visit, with lots to see in the immediate area and easy access to both the Confluence area and the rest of the East End. Right now I would personally recommend using one of the online discount bookers to try to get an inexpensive room at the Holiday Inn in Oakland, which is a quite nice hotel in a great location (basically on the edge of Schenley Farms, and right next to Pitt and close to the Carnegie complex).

Old 07-15-2008, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdoctor View Post
I'm pretty sure that there maybe some nice areas in pittsburgh, but I was also in another part of PA that is near the end of it's turnpike before going towards DC, I ate at a taco bell out there and that taco bell was disgusting and out of pepsi. That's where I got my impressions of I don't really like PA. Going east, they should build some more plaza stations. One was like 100 miles away from the other.
Hmm ... not a lot of posts, using one Taco Bell to judge an entire state ... I am getting a trollish feeling (sorry if this violates the TOS, but I think it is important to note these things).

Old 07-15-2008, 07:57 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,802,855 times
Dude, for one, Pittsburgh is an old city. Secondly, get out and explore a little more, Monroeville is not Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh