Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 03:28 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desibhar View Post
Although black communities have a lot of issues, there are a whole lot of welfare queens who are white trash, and can't speak proper english. This is not a problem that is due to one race, it is the lack of guidance from the home and marginalization of education mixed with people idolizing sports and hollywood figures.

All the people who have made it are deemed sellouts from the poor among both black and white races. Other communities (for example, asians) don't ridicule people who have made it, and try to bring them down.
Excellent point!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 03:37 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,803,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Excellent point!
Yeah, just look at Hines Ward, he's a God in South Korea

Old 08-02-2008, 03:40 PM

5 posts, read 17,872 times
Just my .02 cents; I think that the term "black community" means overall, but there are different kinds of "black communities" within the overall so-called black community.As a white person, I had to do a lot of travelling around before I realized the extent of black middle class neighborhoods. So I presume many white people don't see that, and just think of the black community as unwed mothers, crime, and welfare. I think that blacks who are higher functioning, move away and don't want to associate themselves with the projects and 'hoods, and don't feel responsible. I guess I can't blame them. So we're back to square one, who will fix this problem? Poor blacks are now now just one more group of Americans not getting their need met. imho :=)

Old 08-02-2008, 04:00 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.davon24 View Post
Ummm and you know this how? You want to talk about schooling compair the inner city schools and the schools in the suburbs. Now as stated before I could say in the suburbs the schooling is way different. When I lived in Mckeesport I was 3.0 student but when every I started school in the city they wanted to bump me to CAS. If heard so many times teachers saying " who cares I am going to get paid anyways.

It's funny that you mention being racist also. To even think all black kids are "knuckle heads" is being racist. I grew up in a family of five in which none of my siblings never seen a pair of shiny bracelets. Yes, there are time where we talk ebonics and also we talk proper. You want to talk about all the white kids the basically run all over their parents? Honestly in my life time, I've never seen so much disrespect as I seen when chilling with my white homies.

Please for the sake of god stop sterotyping all black people. I admit there are some black families that fit your discription of " knockle heads" but, as a black male with two sons that is hurtful.

P.s. if you really want to know how black families really are pm me, we can hang out togeter.
FYI:I have black friends and I am very close to one of them.I didn't refer to all black kids as knuckle heads,only the ones that act that way.As far as ebonics goes, How in the hell do you expect anyone to understand you if they cant understand you.It is up to the parents to not let the kids run all over them,mine didn't and there was no way I was running all over my parents.I was not stereotyping anyone.It is a fact that there are major problems in the black community that don't exist in white communities.As far as education goes,I was speaking in general.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:20 PM

374 posts, read 1,285,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
FYI:I have black friends and I am very close to one of them.I didn't refer to all black kids as knuckle heads,only the ones that act that way.As far as ebonics goes, How in the hell do you expect anyone to understand you if they cant understand you.It is up to the parents to not let the kids run all over them,mine didn't and there was no way I was running all over my parents.I was not stereotyping anyone.It is a fact that there are major problems in the black community that don't exist in white communities.As far as education goes,I was speaking in general.

When they talk ebonic it more towards their friends. I for myself do the same exact thing. I know how to turn it off when I need too. When it comes to the kids running over their parents that was an example of those sterotypes. Believe me I am not targeting you, I just get so sick of everyone talking that proper moral this and not father figure bs. The fact is kids white, black, brown, and green well do what they think is cool. Some parents don't even no what their kids get into when hanging with their buds. Back to my other post where could these trouble teens go to stay out of trouble?

Old 08-02-2008, 04:37 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,803,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.davon24 View Post
When they talk ebonic it more towards their friends. I for myself do the same exact thing. I know how to turn it off when I need too. When it comes to the kids running over their parents that was an example of those sterotypes. Believe me I am not targeting you, I just get so sick of everyone talking that proper moral this and not father figure bs. The fact is kids white, black, brown, and green well do what they think is cool. Some parents don't even no what their kids get into when hanging with their buds. Back to my other post where could these trouble teens go to stay out of trouble?
Ha, a kid I went to high school with years ago protested that Ebonics was not offered as a language(instead of German, Spanish, French), and he is white

Edit: Didn't mean to quote ya, sorry, just habbit.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:34 PM

374 posts, read 1,285,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
Ha, a kid I went to high school with years ago protested that Ebonics was not offered as a language(instead of German, Spanish, French), and he is white

Edit: Didn't mean to quote ya, sorry, just habbit.
Thats ok. Dude was an ass wipe lol for protesting that lol.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:51 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,054 times
You as a parent,are responsible for pushing your kids to stay involved.My kids seemed to get involved in roller and deck hockey,more roller than deck because we were in close proximity to Ardmore roller rink.We also installed an above ground pool in our yard.Point is,too many parents have kids then just ignore them and expect them not to get in trouble.This is a recipe for disaster.My kids are grown now and we were very fortunate they never got in any major trouble.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:03 AM

275 posts, read 628,533 times
I guess there was a big meeting in Mellon park to discuss problems in the black community. From the article in the PPG, same old issues, same old rants. Of course the police are blamed for the crime, or their lack of compassion when confronting crime. Was there any mention of parenting? Well, it did not make the paper if there was. There was some mention of lack of male role models. The big brother/big sisters is always looking for volunteers, and they are certainly looking for black males.

Similar to the PPG daily journal, My Homewood, there is only apathy from within the community, and so expect only apathy from others, namely the white community.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:17 AM

758 posts, read 1,227,453 times
I notice a pattern..an incident happens..people..boo-hoo cry and light candles..have meetings, talk to the media--after-the-fact..as in reactive vs. preventive..until the next
incident...When people get to the point that they will not tolerate certain things in the
area where they have to live..then things will change..in poor neighborhoods..

It might mean turning in their own kids and relatives to the police in some cases...oh well then in that case let the chips fall...

As far as parenting..I suspect in many of these cases..the parents might need to be taught parenting classes..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh