Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 11:06 AM

40 posts, read 94,706 times

Advertisements

Hi: I have been reading hte thread for the past few weeks and I am hoping that all of you can help me out -

I am relocating to the Pittsburgh area; I am in a Regional position so I can live anywhere in the area. I am hoping that some of you can give me some suggestions on where would be a good safe place to live.

I am a single 42 year old female currently living about an hour form Seattle in a quiet neighborhood on 3 acres. I am hoping to find an area that would offer safety and some privacy. I would like to be close enough to visit the city.

When I asked the corporate office they suggested I live somewhere close to be able to hop onto 76, as most of my properties are off of 76 and would be easy for commuting. I plan on renting for a bit until I decide what area I really like. I would like to be able to find a rental house that would allow a dog (Golden Retriever) and have some land for her to roam.

Can anyone give me some suggestions. Thanks so much for your help, I have already learned a lot from the boards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 04:31 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,780,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dst828 View Post
Hi: I have been reading hte thread for the past few weeks and I am hoping that all of you can help me out -

I am relocating to the Pittsburgh area; I am in a Regional position so I can live anywhere in the area. I am hoping that some of you can give me some suggestions on where would be a good safe place to live.

I am a single 42 year old female currently living about an hour form Seattle in a quiet neighborhood on 3 acres. I am hoping to find an area that would offer safety and some privacy. I would like to be close enough to visit the city.

When I asked the corporate office they suggested I live somewhere close to be able to hop onto 76, as most of my properties are off of 76 and would be easy for commuting. I plan on renting for a bit until I decide what area I really like. I would like to be able to find a rental house that would allow a dog (Golden Retriever) and have some land for her to roam.

Can anyone give me some suggestions. Thanks so much for your help, I have already learned a lot from the boards
I76 east or west of the city?

Old 07-22-2008, 12:50 PM

Either, I can live anywhere I want but most of my properties are South of Pittsburgh and 3 over the Ohio line.....one also in Philli but would prefer to live in the Pittsburgh area

Old 07-22-2008, 01:01 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,780,672 times
Quote:
Either, I can live anywhere I want but most of my properties are South of Pittsburgh and 3 over the Ohio line.....one also in Philli but would prefer to live in the Pittsburgh area
Then I would look into areas around the PA Route 60 and I76 interchange northwest of the city, in Beaver County. That way you can hop on route 60 to head south, and I76 to head west to your properties in Ohio. There's plenty of nice towns and townships in that area. i.e. Beaver, Wampum, Chippewa, Beaver Falls just to name a few.
Peace

Old 07-22-2008, 01:09 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,857,468 times
Quote:
Just an idle thought, but it might help people narrow down their suggestions a bit if you gave a sense of how much land you would want and how close to the central city. For example, are you looking for something along the lines of 3 acres and 1 hour from the city, as you currently have? Or would you want closer than that? More land? Accept having less land? That sort of thing, I think, will help guide people into making more specific suggestions.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:52 PM

Thanks for your help so far, I will look into those areas you mentioned.

I am really not too picky, I would like some land for the pup to roam around (1-3 acres) and don't mind having neighbors but I am not an apartment type person. The hard part is that I can really live anywhere, I just need some space and a bit of privacy. So not in the city but close enough to experience it when I got the urge.

Being from the Pacific Northwest, I would love to have some hiking trails or some bike paths, camping within a few hours would also be a bonus.

Its just difficult not knowing hte areas and my fear is that I would find an area that is not safe to walk or be home alone.

Any suggestions I really do appreciate

Old 07-22-2008, 08:03 PM

644 posts, read 1,523,084 times
I grew up in South Beaver Twp Beaver Co. which is near Beaver Falls, Chippewa, and would meet a lot of your criteria well it would seem. Some places are VERY rural, and you would be near Brady's run park, The ice arena, fishing, hunting, walking trails, a lot of golf courses... I love the maple syrup festival at Brady's run, which attracts over 30,000 people. I can remember going to the first one that maybe had a few hundred show up.

Not sure of the rental situation, but many homes in the area have very large yards/fields and I would imagine reasonable rents. The Pittsburgh airport is very easy to get to from this area, and the OH line was about 10 minutes away.

The actual city of Beaver Falls would NOT be an area that I would consider, and I say that with regret... At one time it was a very vibrant area and now is very far from that.

I hope these links are of some help:

The Official Beaver County Website - Home Page

Beaver County Recreation and Tourism - Home

Beaver County, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Beaver County Times rental page:
Beaver County Times & Allegheny Times Online - Houses Rent (http://www.timesonline.com/admarket/real_estate_for_rent/houses_rent/ - broken link)

I think you will find the people of western PA genuinely friendly, very engaging, and interesting... Now, you just need to ditch that Seahawks Jersey, and see what REAL football/football fans are about. Good luck, welcome, and best of luck with your relocation!

Old 07-22-2008, 08:34 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
Then I would look into areas around the PA Route 60 and I76 interchange northwest of the city, in Beaver County. That way you can hop on route 60 to head south, and I76 to head west to your properties in Ohio. There's plenty of nice towns and townships in that area. i.e. Beaver, Wampum, Chippewa, Beaver Falls just to name a few.
Peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_F View Post
I grew up in South Beaver Twp Beaver Co. which is near Beaver Falls, Chippewa, and would meet a lot of your criteria well it would seem. Some places are VERY rural, and you would be near Brady's run park, The ice arena, fishing, hunting, walking trails, a lot of golf courses... I love the maple syrup festival at Brady's run, which attracts over 30,000 people. I can remember going to the first one that maybe had a few hundred show up.

Not sure of the rental situation, but many homes in the area have very large yards/fields and I would imagine reasonable rents. The Pittsburgh airport is very easy to get to from this area, and the OH line was about 10 minutes away.

The actual city of Beaver Falls would NOT be an area that I would consider, and I say that with regret... At one time it was a very vibrant area and now is very far from that.

I hope these links are of some help:

The Official Beaver County Website - Home Page

Beaver County Recreation and Tourism - Home

Beaver County, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Beaver County Times rental page:
Beaver County Times & Allegheny Times Online - Houses Rent (http://www.timesonline.com/admarket/real_estate_for_rent/houses_rent/ - broken link)

I think you will find the people of western PA genuinely friendly, very engaging, and interesting... Now, you just need to ditch that Seahawks Jersey, and see what REAL football/football fans are about. Good luck, welcome, and best of luck with your relocation!
I grew up in that area, and I agree.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:45 PM

84 posts, read 258,239 times
Quote:
Thanks for your help so far, I will look into those areas you mentioned.

I am really not too picky, I would like some land for the pup to roam around (1-3 acres) and don't mind having neighbors but I am not an apartment type person. The hard part is that I can really live anywhere, I just need some space and a bit of privacy. So not in the city but close enough to experience it when I got the urge.

Being from the Pacific Northwest, I would love to have some hiking trails or some bike paths, camping within a few hours would also be a bonus.

Its just difficult not knowing hte areas and my fear is that I would find an area that is not safe to walk or be home alone.

Any suggestions I really do appreciate
There are 4 exits on 76 (known as the PA Turnpike) in the Pgh area: Cranberry, Gibsonia, Allegheny Valley and Monroeville (West to east respectively). If you are into camping, hiking and such, you will not like Cranberry--houses are all mcmansions full of stuffy fake plastic people. Monroeville is the farthest east which may be out of the way for you and your ohio clients. I suggest the Allegheny Valley exit area (exit 48 I believe). I live in this area and am very familiar. Like you I have a golden retriever and I camp, hike, bike, etc. In this area you can find homes for a good price, the area is safe (which is why my family and I currently live here) and you are not too far from the woods should you wish to do the outdoor thing. (May I suggest the Rachel Carson Trail? Google it) The group of boroughs/towns known as the Allegheny Valley are about 15 miles Northeast of downtown Pgh. I would also suggest the Gibsonia area but I am less familiar.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:57 PM

2 posts, read 3,535 times
Well, Pittsburgh has two tunnels that are horrible if you have to coomute for work. So based on where you work you have to make a selection. Then the second criteria is the school district. I don't know if you have kids but if you do you have to look for a place with good schools.
Forget about anything else.
I can make some suggestions after you answer these questions.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh