Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 11:44 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,803,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
The city as a whole is too filled with unique things for me to try to characterize it, so I will instead write just a little bit about Regent Square, my neighborhood.

Regent Square itself is a charming little urban neighborhood, a throwback to the streetcar suburb days--sidewalks and frontporches, a mix of housing from many different decades, a nice little commercial area largely free from chains, and so on. But what really makes it unique is its location in a corner of Frick Park.

Basically, you are walking through this charming little neighborhood, and then suddenly the street you are on comes to an end. Before you is ravine filled with trees. You find a little trail and it starts winding its way down into the ravine. When you get to the bottom you suddenly get a bit of a sense of the scale of the Park--but you still don't really know until you spend hours wandering the trails and climbing the hills, maybe spotting some deer along the way . . . .

So that intimate and practically borderless relationship between a nice little urban neighborhood and this huge urban wilderness park, all about 10 minutes from Downtown, is what makes Regent Square so unique to me.
Ditto, I love that there's so much wild life and "wilderness" right in the heart of the city. You don't get that in many cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 12:23 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,363,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
The city as a whole is too filled with unique things for me to try to characterize it, so I will instead write just a little bit about Regent Square, my neighborhood.

Regent Square itself is a charming little urban neighborhood, a throwback to the streetcar suburb days--sidewalks and frontporches, a mix of housing from many different decades, a nice little commercial area largely free from chains, and so on. But what really makes it unique is its location in a corner of Frick Park.

Basically, you are walking through this charming little neighborhood, and then suddenly the street you are on comes to an end. Before you is ravine filled with trees. You find a little trail and it starts winding its way down into the ravine. When you get to the bottom you suddenly get a bit of a sense of the scale of the Park--but you still don't really know until you spend hours wandering the trails and climbing the hills, maybe spotting some deer along the way . . . .

So that intimate and practically borderless relationship between a nice little urban neighborhood and this huge urban wilderness park, all about 10 minutes from Downtown, is what makes Regent Square so unique to me.
Great Brian! I know that area well and it is so Pittsburgh, close to what Michael Chabon in one of his books set in Pittsburgh describes as, "Half industrial, half aboriginal."

You mentioned "deer", which is something I'd forgotten. When I was growing up there you could go a whole childhood and young adulthood, as I did, without seeing a deer in the city limits. And I haven't witnessed it myself, but what I'm told is that because of construction outside of the city, deer are being forced into town, so much so that I read where Mt. Lebanon, hardly a rural area, now has such a problem controlling its deer population that they have a "culling" program underway, which allows residents, (or is it only township officials) to kill them on designated days, is this true?

Old 07-22-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarian View Post
I was told that Pittsburgh is second to Venice for cities with most bridges. I thought that this was an interesting comparison. The bridges of Pittsburgh are definitely amazing. They frame the city core very nicely.
I knew Pittsburgh had alot, compared to other American cities, but I didn't know it would rate with Venice on that score; course, I'm sure that's where the comparison ends. I'd never seen it that way, but you're right, the bridges do frame the city. Thanks.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
I would say the Golden Triangle
Downtown is great, always was great, always was my favorite thing about the city growing up. It's so compact it's almost like a toy. You can circle the whole town on foot without breaking a sweat. Be interested to see how it shapes up after this last round of renovation; is it Renaissance III or IV by now? I know there are new buildings going in, PNC, Piatt, a new Hilton on Grant, I was sorry to hear that that mega-complex on 7th and the Allegheny River fell through, but maybe that's only temporary. My first job as a kid was selling papers on the corner of Forbes and Smithfield.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:51 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
I knew Pittsburgh had alot, compared to other American cities, but I didn't know it would rate with Venice on that score; course, I'm sure that's where the comparison ends. I'd never seen it that way, but you're right, the bridges do frame the city. Thanks.
I was told on the Just Ducky tour recently that Pittsburgh has 440 bridges and Venice has 436. Also, for what it's worth, all of Venice's bridges are pedestrian.

As for deer, I've seen them several times outside of Riverview Park (where I can count on seeing at least one every time), on the side of Marshall Avenue and running between the two cemeteries on Brighton Rd.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
I was told on the Just Ducky tour recently that Pittsburgh has 440 bridges and Venice has 436. Also, for what it's worth, all of Venice's bridges are pedestrian.

As for deer, I've seen them several times outside of Riverview Park (where I can count on seeing at least one every time), on the side of Marshall Avenue and running between the two cemeteries on Brighton Rd.
The cities with the most bridges in the world, in order of most to least, are Hamburg, Germany, Pittsburgh and Venice, Italy.

Edit: Just Ducky is wrong, Pittsburgh has 446 bridges

Old 07-22-2008, 03:38 PM

Great Pop City article about Pittsburgh's bridges
Pop City - The City of Bridges

Old 07-22-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
Pittsburgh has 446 bridges
Is that within the city limits? County?

Old 07-22-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
Is that within the city limits? County?
Within city limits. Throughout Allegheny County there are over a thousand

Old 07-22-2008, 04:19 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
The cities with the most bridges in the world, in order of most to least, are Hamburg, Germany, Pittsburgh and Venice, Italy.

Edit: Just Ducky is wrong, Pittsburgh has 446 bridges
That number was from memory...I think Venice has 440, then.

I didn't know about Hamburg.

Edit: from said Popcity article- "Last year, for example, attendees came from 47 states and 15 countries to Pittsburgh, the city now proven to have the world’s greatest number – and the greatest diversity – of bridges."

I see conflicting reports (still have never seen Hamburg), but I'm going to go with Popcity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh