Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 07:58 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,223,692 times

Advertisements

I have a Mercedes SLK230 hard top convertible, no worries about cutting them or breaking in thru it, so that is one good thing about retractable hardtops

The MAIN thing is don't park ANYWHERE on Carson or any other street that is near any bars Wed thru Sat nights. Too many drunks kicking, sitting, jumping on cars. I see it quite often happening when I drive thru. If I do go there, I park in the lot on the corner of Carson and 18th. Well lit and relatively safe for cars.

Near the Cheesecake Factory/SS Works, is pretty safe too as they have 24 hour security patrolling all those streets in and around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 08:06 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,802,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzman66 View Post
I have a Mercedes SLK230 hard top convertible, no worries about cutting them or breaking in thru it, so that is one good thing about retractable hardtops

The MAIN thing is don't park ANYWHERE on Carson or any other street that is near any bars Wed thru Sat nights. Too many drunks kicking, sitting, jumping on cars. I see it quite often happening when I drive thru. If I do go there, I park in the lot on the corner of Carson and 18th. Well lit and relatively safe for cars.

Near the Cheesecake Factory/SS Works, is pretty safe too as they have 24 hour security patrolling all those streets in and around.
The parking lot near 12th is also well lit and pretty safe for cars.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:47 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,374,809 times
The ticket wasn't stupid - you were for parking illegally.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:04 PM

47 posts, read 82,357 times
South Side parking is a nightmare. I live between 17th & 18th and DO NOT plan on going anywhere that I can't get to on foot Friday & Saturday nights. Anyone who lives & parks within the 10 block radius of the bars can vouch for me! As for the saftey of my car, I worry about someone side swipping my mirrors off as they drunkenly swerve their way home, more so than I worry about someone breaking in. Hope that helps ya out!

Old 05-18-2009, 10:17 AM

366 posts, read 944,280 times
So it finally happened...my top is fine, but the same cannot be said about my passenger door. Drunk South Side SOBs! I'm guessing $400+ to repair

Old 05-18-2009, 10:27 AM

129 posts, read 408,238 times
I think that when you live in the city and have to park on the street, there just needs to be a certain amount of acceptance that something is bound to happen to it. Bumps from people trying to squeeze in and park in too tight of a space, just plain bad parallel parkers, a bus driver sideswiping you, some drunk falling into it, etc. I would never have a nice car and park on the street on a regular basis.

Good luck with getting it fixed. You have my sympathies. It always sucks when something happens to your car, no matter whose fault it is.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:27 PM

250 posts, read 359,742 times
Yeah Carson St is party central especially during football/hockey games. I was driving home after the AFC Championship last season and one overly drunk and excited fan actually tried to do a butt slide across my hood while I was still (slowly) moving. So things will happen, but in general I'd say the risk of getting your soft top knifed is not really higher than anywhere else in the city.

I had a very similar incident to McKeesport Alum a couple years ago. Lots of drunks = lots of drunk drivers. But despite all that I love the spirit of the area and the fact that it's just a flight of stairs up the hill to get back to my humble quiet abode. Go Pens!

Old 07-09-2009, 06:20 PM

In addition to my dented door (see above post), I recently had the glass ripped out of my driver side mirror. Again, quiet part of town, although not immune to drunk SOBs (I guess)...

Old 10-15-2009, 08:01 PM

Got hit again (sideswiped on a parked corner). It happened sometime between Saturday and Sunday night. Of course they didn't leave a note. I'm now paying for off-street parking... The damage to the bumper (side-swipe) and dented door cost $700 to repair ($500 deductible + $200 for the door). Could have been a lot worse I guess.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:31 AM

675 posts, read 2,098,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckeesport_alum View Post
Got hit again (sideswiped on a parked corner). It happened sometime between Saturday and Sunday night. Of course they didn't leave a note. I'm now paying for off-street parking... The damage to the bumper (side-swipe) and dented door cost $700 to repair ($500 deductible + $200 for the door). Could have been a lot worse I guess.
mckeesport_alum,

The picture you posted of the dent to your car is of particular interest to me. I was parked on Carson St, between 8th and 9th streets on Tuesday night, and I came out to find the exact same dent on my car's driver's side door. After inspecting it, I was so confused because there were no scratches, just a huge dent, right on the crease of the door, too high for a car to have caused it. Do you have any idea what happened? Do you think someone kicked it? There's also a small dent in my trunk lid and my driver's side mirror was folded forward. I can't figure out how this may have happened.

What I'm really curious about is if your incident happened in the same area? If so it sounds like we have a repeat offender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh