Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 08:44 PM

366 posts, read 944,280 times

Advertisements

I'm contemplating a move to the South Side Flats area and off street parking is not available. The location is one or two blocks off of Carson between 22nd and 28th street (close to SS Works).

Should I be concerned about leaving a convertible out overnight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 08:59 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,802,855 times
No. Just make sure to put the top up, never know when it's going to rain around here

Old 07-24-2008, 09:16 AM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,044 times
I'd be more concerned come snow time than anything. Drop-tops just don't like the weight. You should find covered parking by then.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:26 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,933,806 times
I usually don't have problems finding parking in the South side flats when I go down there. I park back near the hill though. Way in the back of the flats where they meet the slopes, and then walk a few blocks. Near Carson though is a different story.

I live in S. Hill, another busy neighborhood. I usually have to park a block or two away from my apartment and walk. It doesn't bother me though, but my car is a cobalt and don't care to have the secure feeling that it is right infront of my apartment so I can keep an eye on it. If I had a nice car, I would rent a place with a space. I lived out west, and the problems dealing with street parking were not nearly as bad as most apartment complexes there had parking lots. Not something you get in a older city.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:25 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,611,952 times
Pittsburgh is a city....it's completely possible to get your car broken into in any neighborhood. I wouldn't be overly concerned, but you have to remember that that type of crime can be committed by a bored 15 yr old.....it doesn't take a hardened criminal to break a window and steal a cd and some change.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:51 PM

Thanks to everyone for the replies. My girl can handle the snow, I just was afraid of her getting knifed by some drunk SOB. I guess I shouldn't worry as the closest bar would be BBT and people seem to be pretty civilized there, even the drunk ones ;-) .

Now I just need to find a way to justify the rent!

Old 07-25-2008, 08:17 AM

439 posts, read 1,474,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckeesport_alum View Post
Thanks to everyone for the replies. My girl can handle the snow, I just was afraid of her getting knifed by some drunk SOB. I guess I shouldn't worry as the closest bar would be BBT and people seem to be pretty civilized there, even the drunk ones ;-) .

Now I just need to find a way to justify the rent!
I think it would be fine if you don't leave anything tempting laying out in plain view on the seat or dashboard.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:05 PM

294 posts, read 659,336 times
I go to the South Side almost every week, and I can say for a fact that the only town I have felt safer walking through late at night is Sewickley, and thats saying something. I don't even know how thats possible due to its close proximity to the city and its popularity. If I stay in Pittsburgh after I graduate the South Side is probably #1 on my list of places to move to in the city. If you park near East Carson Street you might have to worry about a drunk leaning over and using your car as a toilet, but then you could just put up the top.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:54 PM

439 posts, read 1,474,553 times
I had a cheap cell phone stolen out of my car there on St Patricks day at around 2pm. They just used a punch to punch out my lock. It was a free phone from ATT, not worth much. They sure did rack up quite a bill though.....

Old 02-14-2009, 06:58 PM

Just wanted to say I've been living in the South Side for over 6 months now and haven't had any problems with my car - other than a stupid ticket I received for parking too close to a cross walk. What a bunch of bs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh