Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 11:31 AM

5 posts, read 24,585 times

Advertisements

Is the East Liberty area around Highland St. near Stanton safe enough to consider for a single woman new to Pittsburgh? The apt. I'm going to view soon was advertised as being in the Highland Park/Morningside neighborhood, but on the map, it certainly looks like East Liberty to me. The rent is under $500 (excludes utilities). Neighborhoods seem to be so close together, it's hard to think one can be "good", and the other directly adjacent to it is "bad", but should I be alarmed? And how is bus transportation in that area? THANKS FOR ALL ADVICE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 11:47 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,065 times
Stanton Ave. is the borderline between Highland Park and East Liberty. North of Stanton is the neighborhood of Highland Park and south is East Liberty. I have friends (mostly gay and lesbian couples) who all live within one to five blocks of this intersection, and they have never had any problems. Nice houses, too, and most of my friends have bought them run down and fixed them up. East Liberty as a neighborhood is on the rise, and a lot of the crime that was attributed to East Liberty really took place in Larimer and Lincoln/Lemington. TV news doesn't know the difference.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:09 PM

85 posts, read 308,426 times
Morningside is a quiet, tucked away area that is not like the rest of East Liberty. You should be fine. I agree with the post above, the tv news doesn't know that East Liberty is not all bad.

Edit, check out this link also: //www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...ittsburgh.html

Last edited by desibhar; 07-29-2008 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: Added link

Old 07-30-2008, 01:12 PM

5 posts, read 24,585 times
Thanks very much for your input - I feel greatly reassured, and eager to go look at that apartment!

Old 08-01-2008, 09:10 PM

84 posts, read 411,413 times
I live on Stanton and have never had any problems. It's really not that bad of an area, and I have a friend who lives a block away and she loves it there. My roommate walks through East Liberty to get to work and he's never had any trouble. I think it's all a matter of knowing your neighbors and not getting involved in other people's drama. Like I heard from someone on here once, there is little random violent crime in East Liberty. It's mainly people who know one another, shooting each other.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:58 AM

136 posts, read 691,400 times
fwiw - I like highland park and morningside, but they are more like isolated area's, they are elevated from rest of the east end and there isn't much in the way of local businesses.

It'd definitely not the nicest part of the city but it's not terrible. I'm not sure why you chose that area specifically(work? school?) but I think you could do better, you could definitely do worse too! for just a little more money heck you might even pay the same to live in a smaller place in squirrel hill.

I guess it's all relative, if your coming from a little rural village it's definitely gonna be pretty serious but if your coming from a big city then it will be fine.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:24 PM

33 posts, read 152,740 times
Default East Liberty

Ah yes, East Liberty. The sounds and smells of Chookies Market. The Cokes and hamburgers at Athen's Resturant. And Sears had traffic going in and out regularly while Mom bought groceries at the A&P on Highland Ave. Streetcars and buses traveling up and down Penn Ave and Highland Ave while crowds of students cheered the Peabody football team. Murphy's 5 and dime for lipstick and make up and Isaly's for ice cream and chipped ham. Oh yeah, East Liberty has always been beautiful and I could go on forever to say that. A face left will suit the NOW people but her bone structure is there. Lucky are you if you get one of those beautiful homes and make her proud. To those of us born and raised there....East Liberty was Larimer to Morningside.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:14 AM

70 posts, read 336,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magyar4321869 View Post
Ah yes, East Liberty. The sounds and smells of Chookies Market. The Cokes and hamburgers at Athen's Resturant. And Sears had traffic going in and out regularly while Mom bought groceries at the A&P on Highland Ave. Streetcars and buses traveling up and down Penn Ave and Highland Ave while crowds of students cheered the Peabody football team. Murphy's 5 and dime for lipstick and make up and Isaly's for ice cream and chipped ham. Oh yeah, East Liberty has always been beautiful and I could go on forever to say that. A face left will suit the NOW people but her bone structure is there. Lucky are you if you get one of those beautiful homes and make her proud. To those of us born and raised there....East Liberty was Larimer to Morningside.
Hmm, interesting. Was Ronald Reagan a movie star at the time? Were you watching Neil Armstrong landing on the moon on your b&w tv then?

Old 08-26-2008, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 8,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByNightRat View Post
Hmm, interesting. Was Ronald Reagan a movie star at the time? Were you watching Neil Armstrong landing on the moon on your b&w tv then?
I'm 34 years old and I remember all those things about East Liberty. Born and raised there and loved every minute of it. For those of you who have no clue about East Liberty Lincoln and Larimer are streets not neighborhoods. They are a part of East Liberty too.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:00 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,163 times
No, East Liberty is not "all that bad".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh