Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 11:38 AM

323 posts, read 806,782 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm relocating to the area and have decided upon Millvale to live in (hopefully that's a good decision). Can anybody tell me what it's like there? Is there anything to do there? Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 12:04 PM

6 posts, read 11,623 times
I grew up in millvale and now live close by. It all depends on what's important to you... Millvale gets a bad rap but there are some positives and one that should be taken seriously. There are also some negatives, but they are overblown for the most part. (the flooding risk withstanding). Let me know specifically what you are looking for and wondering about and I'll see if I can help.dp

Old 07-09-2009, 12:13 PM

Well to be honest, I had no idea about the flooding issue until...oh, about 15 minutes ago, so I'm a bit concerned about that (although since I am only renting, I suppose it isn't quite as much of a concern if I was buying a house). How much of a risk is it? And is there anything to do in Millvale? I'm moving to Millvale for work, and I'm pretty much one of the only "youngsters" going (I'm 25), so I'm concerned that I'm going to be bored out of my mind and that it's going to be really hard to meet people if there isn't much to do in town. Also, since I'm moving by myself, is the area safe for a young gal to live on her own in? If you wouldn't mind, I'd love some positives about the area! Thank you!

Old 07-09-2009, 12:33 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
The flooding doesn't happen every year, and it's not always bad when it floods. The entire town doesn't flood---just low areas near the creeks. As a renter, I really don't think flooding should be a huge concern.

Millvale has a river park with a bike trail that goes to the north shore (where the sports stadiums are located). You can rent bicycles at the Millvale part of the park.

There's a music venue called Mr. Smalls that has live concerts. From what I understand, it's quite an attraction.

Of course, Millvale is know for have many, many bars. You'll never have a problem finding a cheap beer.

Millvale is literally 5 minutes from downtown Pittsburgh. You'll be close to any activity in the city. North Park is 15 minutes away. You can rent paddle boats, go fishing or swim in the county public pool.

I'm not a huge fan of Millvale but it's really not a terrible place. It's not pretty but it's safe.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:43 PM

I'm with Hopes. That post sums it up quite well. it IS safe and it is in a great location. the flooding after the last biggie (2004 if I remember, I was in the service then), has been under control. Like you said, not a huge concern for you. There are definitely bars I would recommend you to stay away from (just like anywhere would have) but a very very nice one is Sidelines. GREAT staff and very good food. My friends and I frequent the place and there has been extremely little to complain about and it's a very nice time for a cheap evening out. The proximity to the city and the the North Hills is key. Everything one needs on a daily basis is less than 10 minutes from you in Millvale. Mr. Smalls is my old church, and I haven't been in since then, but I hear it's a great place to catch a show and they have some pretty good bands coming through. All in all, I think Millvale is a steal at the price you'll probably pay to live there, but it's not Manhattan either.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:49 PM

btw, I think I keep making it sound like Millvale is constantly being flooded. Hopes had it right, it was the places in the basin by Girdey's Run (North Avenue, Grant Ave.). The dredged it and I haven't heard of a problem since. Water in basements was all I heard about during the storms earlier this year (the ones that hit Turtle Creek so bad). That shows me the dredging has work at least enough to prevent large scale/dangerous issues.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:55 PM

Thank you both so much for your input! I really appreciate it! I can use all the help I can get for this move, which is rapidly approaching! I will be commuting to Cranberry for work (right at the intersection of 76 and 79)---do you think the commute will be horrible?

Old 07-09-2009, 12:56 PM

I believe that I will be moving to Evergreen Ave---please tell me that's out of the flood zone!!!!!

Old 07-09-2009, 01:09 PM

Yeah, Evergreen is out of the basin. And Sidelines is also on Evergreen (corner of that and Klopher st.). No, your commute won't be bad. My commute is about to be to Cranberry as well. Consider that you'll be going in the opposite direction of most of the traffic for both morning and evening. I haven't done it yet, but know others who have and don't have a problem. Pick up 279 at the perrysville exit and head north... it turns it 79 about 10 miles up. once you get to cranberry though, that I can't speak for. My company is moving its HQ up there and I've heard some tough stories about once you are in cranberry. either way, Millvale isn't the problem then.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:11 PM

also, there's a nice little grocery (shop n' save) about 2 miles from "downtown Millvale," on babcock blvd. Nice for most shopping needs. Bigger stores are also about 10-15 minutes away for more selection
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh