Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2008, 04:49 AM

19 posts, read 42,328 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

It has been over a year since I've had an opportunity to dip my toes into the PGH whirlpool here.

It looks like my move to Pittsburgh is going to happen in the next couple of months and I am interested in your ideas of in-city neighborhoods to locate my customer service call center. My organization is a nonprofit and could really benefit from locating in an area marked for community development or what's sometimes called a disadvantaged area. Now with that said, an area in which our agents can't generally feel comfortable going to during normal business hours is out of the question.

I've looked into downtown Pittsburgh and find the office rents there to be within reach but I'm guessing that downtown buildings would not be designated in any community development initiative. It's not just any potential tax or funding benefit that we're exploring this option. We really want to create a community asset in an area that is on the way up.

We're probably talking about less than 1000 sf of space right now and I'm really only interested in in-town locations.

Thanks in advance for your help and i'm sure I'll be posting quite a few more questions as my personal move gets closer.

BTW, considering Dormont or Castle Shannon for my personal residence so maybe south hills for the organization too....who knows.

Thanks a lot.

Rod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 07:59 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,495,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTouch View Post
Hello everyone,

It has been over a year since I've had an opportunity to dip my toes into the PGH whirlpool here.

It looks like my move to Pittsburgh is going to happen in the next couple of months and I am interested in your ideas of in-city neighborhoods to locate my customer service call center. My organization is a nonprofit and could really benefit from locating in an area marked for community development or what's sometimes called a disadvantaged area. Now with that said, an area in which our agents can't generally feel comfortable going to during normal business hours is out of the question.

I've looked into downtown Pittsburgh and find the office rents there to be within reach but I'm guessing that downtown buildings would not be designated in any community development initiative. It's not just any potential tax or funding benefit that we're exploring this option. We really want to create a community asset in an area that is on the way up.

We're probably talking about less than 1000 sf of space right now and I'm really only interested in in-town locations.

Thanks in advance for your help and i'm sure I'll be posting quite a few more questions as my personal move gets closer.

BTW, considering Dormont or Castle Shannon for my personal residence so maybe south hills for the organization too....who knows.

Thanks a lot.

Rod
I'm not sure what the prices were Downtown but if you thought they were reasonable...maybe check out South Side. They may be more expensive there, I'm not sure. It's an already pretty popular neighborhood among a variety of people. The main street is East Carson Street or West Carson...you could look on there or streets close that are near there?

My other guess for "up and coming" neighborhoods would be Lawrenceville.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:16 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
I'd look in Beechview, as well. It's just north of Dormont but within the Pittsburgh city limits, on the light rail line, and the community's trying to revitalize the business district.

Here's the neighborhood blog for more info: The Beechview Blog

Old 08-06-2008, 08:16 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Off hand you might check out Lawrenceville, the Bloomfield-Garfield-Friendship area, East Liberty, and Wilkinsburg.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:41 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,230 times
You should really contact the Urban Redevelopment Authority. Check out Urban Redevelopment Authority of Pittsburgh

They will have all the information on tax programs, low/moderate income neighborhoods and business relocation incentives.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:35 AM

524 posts, read 1,036,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTouch View Post
This speaks East Liberty or Friendshp/Garfield to me. East Liberty is definitely on its way up, it is certainly more than safe during business hours, and the rents are very reasonable. I was in a similar position to you recently; looking for a small (smaller than your needs) office space for a new business. I called the East Liberty Chamber of Commerce, went to talk to the East Liberty Development Initiative (both very helpful; gave me names to call...), and ended up locating on Penn Avenue in the heart of East Liberty. Another area we considered was also on Penn Avenue, but in the Friendship/Garfield stretch. The Sprout Fund is there, Bloomfield/Garfield Corporation (which could also be another resource for you), and a lot of arts initiatives are happening in this area.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:11 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
Garfield was my first thought while reading your post. East Liberty and Lawrenceville are also good recommendations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh