Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2008, 11:32 AM

4 posts, read 8,780 times

Advertisements

Moved to be with a girlfriend.
I was young and stupid but it was worth it.
Three days before I left to move back to Upstate New York, I got in a minor fender bender in Carnegie with an old pick up truck. I was driving a 1962 VW Bug so I got the worst of it. We exchanged info, no big deal. After I left, he filed a judgment against me and won. A whopping sum or $267.00 and I was unaware that any of this had happened. Now, out of nowhere, I go to the DMV in Orlando, Florida and they tell me I can't get a Florida DL because there's a red flag in Pennsylvania. So, I make some phone calls to PennDot and other Allegheny county offices (such as the office of the Prothonotary) and NO ONE can seem to help me get this cleared up. To make matters worse, someone I was talking to told me that the person that filed the judgment may have died back in the late '80's and that's possible because when the accident occured I seem to remember that the guy was in his late 50's early 60's and that was 1978.

One kind person at PennDot told me "I don't think you are going to be able to handle this by yourself" and a Pittsburgh lawyer told me that it could cost thousands to get this cleared because of the amount of research involved. In the meantime, no drivers license. City-Data has always been one of those places where you can get answers for unusual questions. Well, here you go! Anybody got any suggestions for me? All I want to do is pay the judgment and any penalities and interest and make it go away. HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 11:09 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,777,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dataguy View Post
All I want to do is pay the judgment and any penalities and interest and make it go away. HELP!
Um don't quote me on this; but I think they can only add penalties on to a judgment...not interest. The only reason why I say this is because I used to run searches on individuals for outstanding judgments for a title insurance company, and some of them would be quite old...but still in the original amounts. Again, I don't know for sure...but I myself haven't heard of it.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:12 PM

209 posts, read 820,426 times
Can you pay the $267.00 judgement directly to the courts?
Maybe call them.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:18 AM

34 posts, read 122,169 times
Default Judgement rules vary by state

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Um don't quote me on this; but I think they can only add penalties on to a judgment...not interest. The only reason why I say this is because I used to run searches on individuals for outstanding judgments for a title insurance company, and some of them would be quite old...but still in the original amounts. Again, I don't know for sure...but I myself haven't heard of it.
I know one can charge 10% annual interest on a judgement in California (I only know this due to doing some research + this is the state I currently reside in) Not sure about Pa.

You'd need a case docket number. Not sure how far back public records are kept, but you could somehow get a copy of your tri-merged credit report (maybe apply for a loan or some type of credit account)? You may or may not be declined-dependent upon whether the judgment appears. You then can immediately write to the appropriate credit reporting agency to obtain a copy of your report. This process may take up to a month though (not sure how much time you have to wait).

Do you know anyone who works for a title or escrow company (i.e. mortgage or consumer finance industry)? You could have them run a judgement and lein search for you (not sure what the charge would be).

Your greatest obstacle is this occurred 30 years ago, and that the case info more than likely was never reported to the appropriate agencies when everything was uploaded to databases. You can try the above.

Maybe you can send a certified letter to the Penndot HQ in Harrisburg PA, and request a certified driving history (under your PA DL). This info should appear on your history, since there is a record of this judgement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh