Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 07:22 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,802,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staash View Post
Yup. Last time I looked though, there weren't very many vehicles available. Of course, that was in January, before 4 dollar a gallon gas...
They've added more vehicles, and even some prominent public officials have signed up for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 07:39 PM

105 posts, read 366,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
They've added more vehicles, and even some prominent public officials have signed up for it.
Peduto, right? Anyone else?

Also, wasn't there a problem with the new rental car tax that was threatening to kill the FlexCar/zipcar business because each usage was going to be classified as a rental? or did they (I hope) find a way around that?

Old 08-11-2008, 08:15 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,802,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likepgh View Post
Peduto, right? Anyone else?

Also, wasn't there a problem with the new rental car tax that was threatening to kill the FlexCar/zipcar business because each usage was going to be classified as a rental? or did they (I hope) find a way around that?
A couple of Peduto's assistants as well. I have no clue about about the tax.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:18 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,265 times
Bus transportation is very good.I live in New Kensington and rode the bus for 6 months,no problem.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:24 PM

3 posts, read 7,886 times
Yes, Pittsburgh is livable without a car. I go to the University of Pittsburgh and have lived here for the past 2 years without a car. I show up to class and work on time, don't starve and have even dated without a car (although the later might be a bit tricky depending on the girl) but you're married so it shouldn't apply to you.

With that said, I think you're other options (Chicago/Portland are better.) Pittsburgh's buses can be fine for getting to/from work but for shopping on the weekends it is a different story. Be prepared to wait/travel on buses for up to an hour or so just to get to a Target or Wal-Mart. Even grocery shopping can be tricky without a car. Consider the following scenario:

I live in Squirrel Hill. I don't like the options at my local Giant Eagle (8 blocks away) I want to go to Whole Foods in East Liberty instead, looks like I'll be taking the 64A which comes by about once an hour. After I get all my groceries I have to wait again for the bus home. After I drop my groceries off at home I want to go to Target for some things for the house. Another wait for the 59U (comes about once every 45 minutes), get my stuff at Target, another wait for the 59U home. Before you know it, it takes you about 5 hours just to run two errands. This is no exaggeration either.

Chicago on the other hand I have found to have MUCH better transit. Portland's transit is comparable to Pittsburgh's, but the downtown area is MUCH more vibrant than Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh has many of neighborhoods with just enough to get by (Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, East Liberty, Oakland, etc...) but each lacks something. Shadyside has no grocery store, Oakland has no movie theatre, Squirrel Hill has no night life, etc...

Good luck in your search!

Old 08-12-2008, 08:39 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,964,681 times
You can live in certain neighborhoods without a car. I have about six or seven friends and a family with a young daughter who do not own cars. They all live in Shadyside, East Liberty and Bloomfield. Lots of places are walkable, they use the bus (the East Busway runs through the neighborhood with very frequent service), and they also utilize cabs and Zip Car when needed. And tons of the senior citizens do not have cars. You can also get a lot of stuff delivered in the East End.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:45 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
Oakland grocery store to open Friday

Old 08-12-2008, 01:03 PM

88 posts, read 375,817 times
Default Excellent

Thank you for all the responses! You've convinced me we ought to seriously consider Pittsburgh among our choices, particularly since it puts us the same distance from family/friends as Chicago (4.5 hours). If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm still watching this thread. A look around Squirrel Hill on Google Street View makes me think that's a good option.

Are there any decent options, given our desire for walkability/transit, in the North, South, or West areas of the city?

Old 08-12-2008, 01:32 PM

9 posts, read 23,510 times
Default Otto Milk in the Strip District

Look into the Otto Milk Building in the Strip District. I just bought there. They haven't started marketing yet, but they have the contracts all drawn up and ready to go and pre-construction prices. The units are WAY more affordable than downtown and are slated to be delivered end of next year. www.ottomilk.com.

The Strip District is the perfect place for people working in the city. It is up and coming as far as residential (Another famous building there was just bought and being converted into condos) and commercial and retail developing is happening all over.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:24 PM

88 posts, read 375,817 times
Default How about with 1 car?

OK, all these responses have helped me locate a few neighborhoods. We do actually own one car which could easily come with us. If we had one car to do errands and/or drop one of us off at a good transit stop (while the other took the car to work), what areas open up, then? What suburbs immediately outside Pittsburgh would be opened up by that?

Thank you for any added info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh