Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 11:16 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,496,883 times

Advertisements

Here's an article I was referring to earlier that may be helpful for driving purposes:

Grata's guide to construction around the region
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 12:35 PM

165 posts, read 663,105 times
Thanks much appreciated. I would like to go to Ross Park Mall but have been putting it off because of my dreaded experience with 279 North. Isn't it backed up on the weekends as well?

Old 09-14-2008, 12:41 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,803,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliempdx View Post
Thanks much appreciated. I would like to go to Ross Park Mall but have been putting it off because of my dreaded experience with 279 North. Isn't it backed up on the weekends as well?
The parkway north(279 North) is showing all green right now Better get out there!

Old 09-14-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
The parkway north(279 North) is showing all green right now Better get out there!
Yeah, plus the Steelers aren't playing at home today so GO GO GO.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:31 PM

632 posts, read 1,740,133 times
Quote:
Don't get me started on NC.

Virginia is another one. Myself, and friends of mine who live there, have been called a Yankee in a very derogatory manner on more than one occasion. And instead of celebrating Martin Luther King Day, they make it Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson Day That's no joke either folks.
Yeah, I was called a Yankee in NC too, at a time when I'd never spent more than a straight week north of the Mason-Dixon line in my life. I think it was just because I didn't talk like I came from the trailer park.

I was always like, "What's a Yankee? I'm from Arizona. We were part of Mexico in 1865!"

They never knew how to deal with that.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Good point...these are probably good resources to check, also:

(I like KDKA webcams because you can actually SEE the traffic rather than just read about it)

Pittsburgh Traffic Report | Traffic Information | Road Conditions PA:: Traffic.com

kdka.com - Webcams (http://kdka.com/webcams/26.567214.html?wmid=48 - broken link)

Old 09-14-2008, 07:40 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
My cousin, who was educated at Beaver Falls High School and graduated near the top of his class, then at CMU, thought Omaha was a state! He asked DH where in Omaha he was from. The questions went on and on.

Cuz: Where in Omaha are you from?

DH: (Aware that cuz had never been west of Detroit): Near the University of Nebraska at Omaha.

Cuz: Where's that?

DH: Near Elmwood Park.

Cuz: Where??

DH: ____ St.

Cuz: I mean what city in Omaha?

It's everywhere!
I once tried to teach a coworker how to do foreign collections, back when I worked at the bank -- and was flummoxed by her insistence that London was in France. At first I thought she was joking -- then I thought I stepped into the Twilight Zone.

Her reasoning? The jump rope rhyme -- "I see London, I see France, I see Julie's underpants."

Old 12-21-2009, 06:29 PM

78 posts, read 140,814 times
Default The "directions" thing just makes me laugh!

I moved to Massachusetts from Los Angeles many years ago. Talk about a culture shock! (I actually moved to a town so small they still didn't have push-button phone service, and I had to wait six weeks to get a phone number because "the exchange was full!") Almost sent me running back home. But I stuck it out and fell in love with the area. I was 25 when I got here, and I had no idea what a season was. (We don't have seasons in L.A. -- we have varying degrees of warm or wet.) I hope your luck turns around in Pittsburgh as mine did here.

About the directions, though -- it made me CRAZY how people here gave directions! Not by street, but by what they considered a landmark, i.e., "head thatta way to the yellow house and go catty-cornered until you get to Joe's diner -- if you hit the old market you've gone too far. Go right at Joe's to the third rotary (and I had no idea what a freaking "rotary" was), and take the second offshoot on the rotary . . ." I always wanted to scream out, "Tell me STREET NAMES, dammit!" But I never did, and I never got street names either! (As an aside, we may shoot each other on the freeways in L.A., but we can give directions that make sense to all and sundry!)

So I feel better armed for our move to Pittsburgh in 10 days. I don't have a GPS, but I have 20 years of experience with rotaries and diners as landmarks. I think it will be a great adventure, and I imagine I'll get lost many a time. But thanks, in no small part, to all the wonderful people on this board who have offered their experience and their advice, I'm going to work on enjoying the wrong turns I make and exploring the sights at hand.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:06 AM

524 posts, read 1,036,545 times
As someone who loves Pittsburgh, I can poke some fun at it as well - we don't have "rotaries" and have only a few diners, but what you'll find here can be even more frustrating...locals OFTEN give directions in reference to where something USED to be. As in "drive up the road to where the Borden Burger used to be, then make a right turn...."

Old 12-22-2009, 05:38 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,053,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onwardandupward View Post
As someone who loves Pittsburgh, I can poke some fun at it as well - we don't have "rotaries" and have only a few diners, but what you'll find here can be even more frustrating...locals OFTEN give directions in reference to where something USED to be. As in "drive up the road to where the Borden Burger used to be, then make a right turn...."
Now this is funny...and right on point, because this is how I find myself giving directions....lmaoooooo

I stay calling something the "old ________".....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh