Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 12:17 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,931,980 times

Advertisements

I had sh_t luck when I moved into Denver. I had a hit and run to my car when it was parked on the street, my 800 dollar bike stolen, and many more bad things. I never once decided to go to the Denver board and post my misfortunes on their board, because that crap can happen everywhere.

DMVS suck everywhere. Try getting a licence in Denver. Jesus, I had to take a day off work. The DMV in PA was Heaven on Earth compared to Colorado's. I think it is because of all the new transplants out there, but it was rough.

Try to enjoy yourself. Go visit some restaurants, or take a walk through the nature trrails of Schinley or Frick park. Some of the nicest City parks I have ever been in. Shead some light on some positive things.

I love the Panther Hollow trail. You go under old bridges, it looks like you are hiking deep in the Appalachains, when really you are in the city. It is so unique, and beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 06:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
I have experienced crime in Champaign, IL. No place is crime-free. That is not the point. I don't interpret the OP's original post as negative, just stating facts. It is a well-known fact that people will watch those moving in and steal from them when they can. It happened to our neighbors. It's also not a very nice "housewarming" gift to have your license plates stolen.

Pittsburgh directions are screwy, no doubt about it. Plus, many people simply don't know how to give directions, period. I have been a visiting nurse, and lots of people can't even give you directions to their home from the hospital where they go for care. They will leave something out b/c they drive it all the time w/o thinking about it, etc. GPS may help, but you have to be careful. My niece got lost driving to my daughter's house b/c she forgot to input "South" 'Main' St. into the GPS. The GPS took her to a different part of Main with the same numbers, but it wasn't "South Main".

Old 08-12-2008, 07:08 PM

42 posts, read 114,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliempdx View Post
Thanks for all the good info I will be trying these other routes because going up and down Murray ave everyday is driving me insane!!!!!! On a positive note I actually was able to get a PA drivers license and PA plates today. I'm still in shock because we have been trying to get this accomplished for approx. 4 days now!! Good luck to those of you out there beginning this process. I am so tempted to write a guide on this matter for newcomers that is actually in english
If you're coming from Greenfield, avoid Murray altogether and head to Beechwood Blvd. or Shady. Way less traffic, way more pleasant drive.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:17 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,710,930 times
Buy a Rand McNally Pittsburgh atlas. It's never steered me wrong. Get your license. Plates can be stolen anywhere. Don't let random bad luck influence how you feel about somewhere you just moved.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:10 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
I like walking Murray Avenue. You couldn't pay me to drive it on a regular basis.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:30 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
Seriously, can this forum get any more negative? On another forum you hear nothing but good things about Squirrel Hill.

I just noticed that this forum is EXTREMELY negative, and one negative comment will recieve 10 times more comments then a positive one.

I always am more then happy to give directions to people when they ask. However, it is hard to give directions here. It isn't just, "go up three blocks, then make a right, and go 5 blocks". That makes Pittsburgh unique, and interesting though.

Just my point of view. Please don't send me rude DMs.
Contrariwise I find that there is quite a bit of affection for the Steel City on this forum. Pennsylvanians in general are no different than those in OH, MI, or Upstate NY in how they love to dwell upon all of life's negatives, permitting them to outshine all of its many positives. I LOVE living in Scranton, PA, regardless of how pessimistic most others in our rebounding city are, and considering Pittsburgh is merely a giant version of Scranton with hotter women, I know I'd love living there too.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:54 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,367,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
You have to earn the ability to navigate Pittsburgh!

That statement is very pompous of you! As native Pittsburghers, we should help the OP out with directions. It's not a great feeling to be lost in a city that you are unfamiliar with. And to tell someone they have to EARN the ability to navigate in Pittsburgh is not very friendly and hospitable! I certainly hope Austinites don't take that attitude with me when I move to Austin! Maybe you were kidding and I'm reading your post wrong--I hope that's the case--if so, accept my apology for jumping on this.

To the OP: Buying a GPS will certainly help you because it is very difficult to navigate Pittsburgh. There are so many one way streets and remember, we are built right in the middle of 2 rivers! You can always DM me and I will help you try to navigate somewhere if need be. I work at UPMC in Oakland--a hop, skip and a jump from Shadyside!

Old 08-13-2008, 05:44 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
And don't forget to turn left where the Kroger's used to be.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:13 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,706,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanwannabe View Post
That statement is very pompous of you! As native Pittsburghers, we should help the OP out with directions. It's not a great feeling to be lost in a city that you are unfamiliar with. And to tell someone they have to EARN the ability to navigate in Pittsburgh is not very friendly and hospitable! I certainly hope Austinites don't take that attitude with me when I move to Austin! Maybe you were kidding and I'm reading your post wrong--I hope that's the case--if so, accept my apology for jumping on this.
Perhaps you chose not to read the portion of my post regarding "Just having a little fun with it all - that's the key. You have to keep a good sense of humor about it".

Old 08-13-2008, 07:45 AM

165 posts, read 662,834 times
I realize that crime happens anywhere even in Portland, OR where we came from, I was just stating the facts and explaining the frustrations of navigating a new city. More importantly we didn't move to Pittsburgh just for the hell of it we are here for my husbands graduate education.. With time I'm sure I will be able to navigate the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh