Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2008, 11:48 AM

85 posts, read 373,566 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,

After 14 years of trying to get back to Pittsburgh, we are finally moving back to the Burgh this fall! We are very happy about the move but things are moving quickly and I would love to get some advice from everybody...

My husband's new job will be in Green Tree. However, we have family in the Cranberry township area. We are considering somewhere around Wexford/Franklin Park area to be in between our family and the job.

Does anybody know what the commute time from Franklin Park/Wexford to Green Tree would be in rush hour traffic? I mapquested it and it said 25 minutes or so but I realize rush hour will add to that time.

Thanks for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 02:30 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,363,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burghgirl View Post
Hello everybody,

After 14 years of trying to get back to Pittsburgh, we are finally moving back to the Burgh this fall! We are very happy about the move but things are moving quickly and I would love to get some advice from everybody...

My husband's new job will be in Green Tree. However, we have family in the Cranberry township area. We are considering somewhere around Wexford/Franklin Park area to be in between our family and the job.

Does anybody know what the commute time from Franklin Park/Wexford to Green Tree would be in rush hour traffic? I mapquested it and it said 25 minutes or so but I realize rush hour will add to that time.

I don't know where you and your husband are from in Pittsburgh originally, but I love Greentree. Not where I'm from originally, but I lived there for a while right out of college and loved it, the perfect non-city city lifestyle. Without the city atmosphere of the East End, that's true, but even more convenient to alotta places like downtown, S. Side, N. Side, and just a quick shot, down through the Fort Pitt tubes and out to Oakland.

I know I'm not answering your question; my guess would be a half-hour to forty-five minutes since mostly he'll be going against traffic both ways. Might be better off going down through the West End and across the W.E. bridge, but what's wrong with living in Greentree? The trip out to see the in-laws on a Saturday or a Sunday afternoon won't be nearly as bad.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:36 PM

What school district is Green Tree in?

I used to live in the North Hills and just prefer it to any other area of Pittsburgh - that's why we've been thinking more of Franklin Park and Wexford. But Ex Pit is probably right that it could easily be a 45 minute drive in rush hour to Green Tree..

Old 08-12-2008, 07:55 PM

134 posts, read 563,056 times
Keystone Oaks, far from the best but also far from the worst.

I'd look into Moon Township, not too far from Cranberry and not a bad commute to Green Tree. Traffic on the Parkway West usually doesn't back up until the Green Tree exit, so the commute wouldn't be near 45 minutes.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:20 PM

141 posts, read 721,870 times
Or you can do Crafton- hop on 79N to get to family, next door to Greentree.

If set on Wexford, couldn't you take 79 all the way? Its not the way Google Maps suggests, but may be less congested, mostly b/c it doesn't go anywhere near downtown. Get off at the Crafton exit, and take the back roads to Greentree (ie thru Crafton). Just a suggestion.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pghtebbie View Post
Or you can do Crafton- hop on 79N to get to family, next door to Greentree.

If set on Wexford, couldn't you take 79 all the way? Its not the way Google Maps suggests, but may be less congested, mostly b/c it doesn't go anywhere near downtown. Get off at the Crafton exit, and take the back roads to Greentree (ie thru Crafton). Just a suggestion.
Hmmm, we're not that familiar with the area but we'll check into that route.

The other option we are now considering is Mt. Lebanon due to its proximity to Green Tree, plus the highly rated Mt. Lebo school district. Like someone else mentioned, I guess we could always visit the family in Cranberry during non rush hour times like weekends and evenings (which is probably when we'd visit anyway).

Thanks for your responses. It really helps to have this forum to help sort things out, especially when you're doing it from another state!

Old 08-15-2008, 10:53 AM

479 posts, read 1,236,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burghgirl View Post
Hello everybody,

I can't advise you about where to move since I live in Los Angeles. However, I'm very happy for you and your family that your husband found a job and you could move back. I knew that you weren't really happy in Columbus. How are your children adapting to the move? I bet they will miss their friends. Oh well, it's only a few hours away so visiting wouldn't be out of the question. They will likely meet good friends in Pittsburgh if they get involved in activities. Some of my closest friends to this day are from the time I lived back there before I got married. I've found it a lot harder to have lasting friendships out here in CA.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:15 PM

Hi goodgirl!

I remember corresponding with you last fall. Thanks for your support, and I just PM'd you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh