Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 05:56 PM

165 posts, read 660,641 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the info. We went to Homers Auto Center, were still having to pay a lot of money to get them to pass the car for emissions but it's not as bad as other places probably would've been. I think this whole process is a total scam and a way for the PA government to make money. I mean I am all about protecting the environment but taking all the wheels off the car, come on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 07:40 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,265,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliempdx View Post
Thanks for all the info. We went to Homers Auto Center, were still having to pay a lot of money to get them to pass the car for emissions but it's not as bad as other places probably would've been. I think this whole process is a total scam and a way for the PA government to make money. I mean I am all about protecting the environment but taking all the wheels off the car, come on
They are checking the brakes for wear and general condition of all of the hardware.This is the most important part of the inspection.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:05 PM

70 posts, read 334,230 times
The waiver is there for people who can't afford fixing or buying a replacement car. Cheap bastids who basically don't care about the wellness of the environment unfortunately can benefit from it, as well.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:57 AM

780 posts, read 1,376,564 times
Default check engine light

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliempdx View Post

If it isn't fixed yet, go to your local Advance or Auto Zone store. They can pull your codes for you with their scanner (for free) and also reset your computer without having to disconnect the battery. If you are even remotely mechanically inclined, you can hook up the scanner and reset the codes yourself using their scanner. Make sure to get printouts of the code/codes then google them to find out what could be causing them. Most times, it is something simple like a bad gas cap (75% of the time) or o2 sensors before or after the catalytic converter. Sometimes, it can be a mass airflow sensor, a leaking vaccum line or something similar. You need to get the codes and research them for your particular car to get an idea of what's wrong, though.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:02 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,265,924 times
Problem is,the codes can be very vague and won't tell you exactly where to look,but can put you in the ballpark.Resetting the codes won't help unless you fix the problem.If the problem is not repaired then the computer will sense a problem and set the codes again.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,163 times
Hi all,

I have this same problem with my Camry V6 1993. The engine check light (bought it 2 months back) is always there after about 2 minutes driving. I brought it for emission test and failed the HC part at idle. The reading was 287 (the limit is 1300) although at 2500 rpm it was okey (78 versus the limit 130). Is Homer a really good choice because I live in Greenfield.

Thanks.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:05 PM

39 posts, read 87,580 times
I lived in Greenfield and went to Homers b/c I could drop the car off and walk home while it was being repaired. Big mistake. My engine made a noise at starting, but no light was on. So I brought it in so they could check it out. They claimed there was no noise and not to worry. Two months later the engine light comes in, and it will cost $500-600 to fix it and it would have been much less if it was "noticed earlier"!

Old 10-27-2008, 03:12 PM

165 posts, read 660,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tepek View Post
Hi all,

I have this same problem with my Camry V6 1993. The engine check light (bought it 2 months back) is always there after about 2 minutes driving. I brought it for emission test and failed the HC part at idle. The reading was 287 (the limit is 1300) although at 2500 rpm it was okey (78 versus the limit 130). Is Homer a really good choice because I live in Greenfield.

Thanks.
We didn't have any issues with Homers. As far as I know the check engine light on my husband's car is still off since they fixed it. The other thing that we found out is that if you drive less than 5,000 miles a year you don't have to get emissions done.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:36 PM

558 posts, read 1,828,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Problem is,the codes can be very vague and won't tell you exactly where to look,but can put you in the ballpark.Resetting the codes won't help unless you fix the problem.If the problem is not repaired then the computer will sense a problem and set the codes again.
Clear the code right before the emissions test and hope it doesn't come back on until after.... Not all codes are serious , my car throws an Evap Emission Control Code 0440 every couple of months and there is nothing wrong with it. I bought a scanner so I don't have to keep bothering the Advance Auto workers to clear the code . If a code comes back right away then you need to have the car checked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh