Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 11:13 AM

165 posts, read 662,997 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where to go for state inspection/emissions? We are in Squirrell Hill, my husbands car is the problem vehicle it consistently fails emissions every year in other states. We are on a very tight budget and I heard rumor that if the repairs are over $150 they waive the vehicle or something like that. I'm not sure if any of that is true but if anybody knows of a decent shop to take it to that isn't going to try and tell us that we need to fix everything. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 11:20 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
We've been very happy with Frick Park Auto, which is just across Frick Park from Squirrel Hill at Forbes and Braddock. They tell us everything they find, but break it down in terms of what needs to be done to pass inspection, what will probably need to be done eventually but can wait, and so on.

That is a little bit away from your section of Squirrel Hill (although I can tell you the best ways to get there, avoiding Murray and the commerical part of Forbes), but unfortunately I don't personally know of any place closer to recommend.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:32 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,775,622 times
Why does it fail emissions? Is it due to a check engine light?

Old 08-13-2008, 12:42 PM

165 posts, read 662,997 times
Yah, pretty much. Even after he spent $900 "fixing it" the check engine light remains on. Previous states we have lived in just end up waiving the emission because we spend so much money trying to fix it. It is a 1997 nissan altima. We will try Frick park auto because I actually know where that is because our first week here we had to go over that way to return our moving truck. Thanks BrianTH for wrightman street, Yeah no more Murray!!

Old 08-13-2008, 12:51 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,775,622 times
I have the same issue with my car. Took it to 3 mechanics, and yet the light still comes back on. They have no idea what causes it as all the sensors have normal readings. They figure it's a false reading. To get my car to pass I have to "trick" the emissions test by disconnecting the positive battery cable to reset the computer, then drive around a few miles so it will be ready for the test, then get it to the shop before the light comes back on. Fun stuff. The mechanical inspection is a good thing, it makes sure your car is in good working order. But the emissions test is a bunch of BS as ANY little thing can cause it to fail, even a faulty check engine light. I hate it!

Good luck!

Old 08-13-2008, 01:33 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliempdx View Post
Yah, pretty much. Even after he spent $900 "fixing it" the check engine light remains on. Previous states we have lived in just end up waiving the emission because we spend so much money trying to fix it. It is a 1997 nissan altima. We will try Frick park auto because I actually know where that is because our first week here we had to go over that way to return our moving truck. Thanks BrianTH for wrightman street, Yeah no more Murray!!
As promised here is another navigation tip (in case you don't know it already):

So suppose you are coming up through the park, and you turn right onto Hobart, then left onto Beacon. You can take Beacon past Wightman, past Murray, past Shady, and past some rather nice homes where it will then curve around left. At the bottom of the hill Beacon will end in a T, and you can then turn right onto Beechwood. To get to Forbes you can go past the left that would take you to the light at Dallas and Forbes. Instead, a little up the road on your left there will be a cutout that allows you to slip onto Forbes Avenue (before the big stone marker for the park). If you blow up that section on Google Maps large enough, you can actually see the cutout marked.

On the way back, you can instead just go along Forbes to the light at Dallas and turn left, then a quick right and a quick left and you are back on Beacon, and can circle the whole way back to the park.

And that is my way to get past both Murray and the commercial part of Forbes when driving to Regent Square.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:55 PM

105 posts, read 366,675 times
Closer to home for you: Homer's Auto Center at Murray and Lilac in Greenfield (or maybe Squirrel Hill We've found them to be honest and reasonable.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:11 PM

67 posts, read 233,628 times
I second Homer's Auto Center. They're very honest and they won't charge you for anything that's unnecessary.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:21 AM

152 posts, read 638,960 times
Just an interesting sidenote...

PA does an actual inspection, that is they will actually check your car for mechanical problems, brakes, bald tires, etc.

When I lived in AZ the "inspection" was someone walking to your car and basically saying, "yep, that's a car."

I often wondered what would make a car fail there...perhaps missing a couple of tires?

Old 08-14-2008, 08:24 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,711,905 times
I have the same problem, and I'd have to get my engine rebuilt if I wanted the "check engine" light to go off so I could pass the emissions test. I think the cut-off for repairs is $200, or Firestone lied to me. You also have to pay for the initial inspection and then $80 for the waiver. Every year. Welcome to Pennsylvania!

After 14 months here, that's still the only thing I hate about it, and it's the state's fault, not Pittsburgh's, so I figure I'm doing OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh