Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 06:34 PM

297 posts, read 505,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayHart32 View Post
Oh yeah i've got the license, pole, bait.. and everything = ] but i mean can i fish there anytime.. without getting involved with the trianglers?

Also, do u know of any other places to fish near downtown? i have a car here but i live downtown.
Fishing is a pretty common sight downtown and I've never, ever seen anyone even stopped by the police. Some good areas, other than the park, would be along river at station square, right off the smithfield st. bridge. There is also a trail just under the 10th st. bypass along the allegheny, between the clemente bridge (6th st.) and the convention center. It's right along the river and there are a lot of benches there. I've seen a lot of people sitting on those benches and fishing. Directly across the river, on the north shore, there is a similar walkway along the river between the 6th and 9th st bridges, with benches there next to alcoa. I've never seen anyone fish there, but it would be a fine place. I've sat there many times because it's pretty peaceful and quiet, especially at night. And, of course, you can walk over to the north shore and fish on the river walkway in front of pnc and heinz.

have you seen the 2005 bassmasters classic in pittsburgh? pretty sad catch. there are a lot of fish there, but they aren't going to wow anyone with their size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 06:42 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I just have to say that I would never eat a fish caught in our rivers. If I wasn't fly fishing, I'd prefer to go to fish in one of the lakes, not the river. Glade Mill Lake is probably the closest. A weekend afternoon at Maraine State Park would be nice.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I just have to say that I would never eat a fish caught in our rivers. If I wasn't fly fishing, I'd prefer to go to fish in one of the lakes, not the river. Glade Mill Lake is probably the closest. A weekend afternoon at Maraine State Park would be nice.
Yeah, the rivers are all green and look like freon. I don't know if it's true, but I was told before that the green color is good because that's algae, and it's a sign of a healthy river.

I've never been fly fishing at Moraine, but I LOVE going to Ohiopyle for that, plus whitewater rafting. I haven't got the guts yet to do the kayak thing. That looks a bit crazy to me.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjd View Post
I've never been fly fishing at Moraine....
Note that I said "If I WASN'T fly flishing, I'd to to Moraine"

I guess I wasn't clear when I was trying to say that I prefer fly fishing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjd View Post
.... but I LOVE going to Ohiopyle for that, plus whitewater rafting. I haven't got the guts yet to do the kayak thing. That looks a bit crazy to me.
Western PA has lots of great streams for fly fishing. If they're hitting the rapids on kayaks, I agree that would be too crazy for me.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:28 AM

3 posts, read 8,193 times
yeah.. i have a monthly lease at station square.. so its not a problem of parking downtown.. i would not need to drive to point park.. its like a 5 minute walk from where i live

is there anywhere else to fish in the area... not just point park? maybe a further drive from downtown.. im kinda sick of seeing pavement lol im a country girl stuck in the city.. its terrible = [

Old 05-09-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
yeah.. i have a monthly lease at station square.. so its not a problem of parking downtown.. i would not need to drive to point park.. its like a 5 minute walk from where i live

is there anywhere else to fish in the area... not just point park? maybe a further drive from downtown.. im kinda sick of seeing pavement lol im a country girl stuck in the city.. its terrible = [
Since you have a car, how far outside of the city are you willing to go? As I mentioned before, Ohiopyle is AMAZING and would be a great place for a country girl to getaway from the city. It's close to 2hrs south though.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:57 AM

As I already mentioned, you can go to Glade Mill Lake:

glade mill lake, pa - Google Maps

Old 09-09-2010, 03:46 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
I was thinking something along these lines would be good for point state in the area right in front of the hotel formerly known as the hilton
Franklin Square
thoughts? popular with kids

Old 09-14-2010, 03:04 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,852,255 times
Quote:
Oh yeah i've got the license, pole, bait.. and everything = ] but i mean can i fish there anytime.. without getting involved with the trianglers?

Also, do u know of any other places to fish near downtown? i have a car here but i live downtown.
I saw people in their boats on the Allegheny near PNC park fishing a few weeks ago- yeah I think it's cool to go ahead and fish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh