Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2008, 09:31 AM

3 posts, read 12,609 times

Advertisements

Hello... I am currently residing near DC and am tired of being in the area. I have been up near Pittsburgh several times and have really liked it. I am training to be an elementary school teacher, and would like to live out of the city but close enough where i could go in if i felt like it. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions where to live for a young woman looking to teach in a nice community outside of pittsburgh??? Any help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 10:47 AM

479 posts, read 1,236,855 times
Teaching jobs would be very competitive and difficult to find, especially in elementary. There are many schools that train teachers around Pittsburgh, and the population really isn't growing, so they don't have room for everyone who wants a full time teaching job. You would probably have to sub for a long time, or know someone well on a local school board to secure a job.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:21 PM

3 posts, read 12,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgirl49 View Post
Teaching jobs would be very competitive and difficult to find, especially in elementary. There are many schools that train teachers around Pittsburgh, and the population really isn't growing, so they don't have room for everyone who wants a full time teaching job. You would probably have to sub for a long time, or know someone well on a local school board to secure a job.
I'm not necessarily looking to work directly in Pittsburgh. I'm thinking of being more near Monroeville or Murrysville. So #1: Does anyone know if teaching jobs are hard to find outside the city too? And #2: Would either of those cities be suitable for a 23 year old aspiring female teacher who will be living by herself? And if not, any suggestions on other citites outside of Pittsbugh?

Thanks!

Old 08-16-2008, 07:31 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,802,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtgurl32487 View Post
I'm not necessarily looking to work directly in Pittsburgh. I'm thinking of being more near Monroeville or Murrysville. So #1: Does anyone know if teaching jobs are hard to find outside the city too? And #2: Would either of those cities be suitable for a 23 year old aspiring female teacher who will be living by herself? And if not, any suggestions on other citites outside of Pittsbugh?

Thanks!
I'm not a teacher myself, but have a few friends that are, and it is very difficult to get a teaching job in PA. From what I've heard from them you'll have to start as a substitute in pretty much every school district. My friends had to move out of state to get full time teaching jobs right away. If you're truly committed to living in the Pittsburgh area I would recommend getting in as a substitute at a couple school districts, possibly getting another part time non-teaching job to supplement your income, and just waiting until a full time position opens in a nearby district.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
I'm not a teacher myself, but have a few friends that are, and it is very difficult to get a teaching job in PA. From what I've heard from them you'll have to start as a substitute in pretty much every school district. My friends had to move out of state to get full time teaching jobs right away. If you're truly committed to living in the Pittsburgh area I would recommend getting in as a substitute at a couple school districts, possibly getting another part time non-teaching job to supplement your income, and just waiting until a full time position opens in a nearby district.
I certainly agree with the above.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:

Thanks!
My sister lived in Murrysville until 2004. She said that she had a friend who tried to get a teaching job for 9 years in the area, and was tired of subbing and just gave up. She couldn't leave the area, so she took a civil service test and got a social service job with the state.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:39 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
they need teachers in Philly.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:29 AM

25 posts, read 101,111 times
Teaching jobs are impossible to find in the Pgh area. Teachers get a job and stick with them for 30-35 yrs until they retire.

You will probably be a sub for many, many, many years.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:12 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,573,708 times
Unless you have some compelling reason to do so, don't move to western PA with plans to teach unless you already have a job lined up. Its a nice place to live in my opinion, but teaching jobs are very difficult to get. This is true of both public and private schools. Many people with college degrees and teaching certs can sub for years before getting a job (as opposed to other areas of the country that will beg you to teach even without a teaching certification).

Old 08-21-2008, 01:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:

Thanks!
I think the teaching situation is similar in the suburbs, as well. I would suggest applying everywhere, not just in a select few districts. And do heed the advice given by those who have experience with this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: