Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 05:37 AM

2 posts, read 6,618 times

Advertisements

Look toward the hunter rd. Area. Lots of country like housing plans. I grew up in the area and would luv to move back. This is probably the newest part of p.h.(1972)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 01:14 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
The other day there was a double homicide in Penn Hills in the part near Oakmont on Hulton Road. This side was a section 8 project and directly across the street was a regular apartment site. A quarter mile up the road is East Oakmont (which is Plum Boro) with expensive housing plans. It's too hard to say where you'll be safe or not in Penn Hills.

For resale purposes the name Penn Hills turns a lot of home buyers away. Rosedale has always been good as is the part at Verona hilltop, but it costs. Those areas have held their values well and even increased a lot over the years. In general, Penn Hills is a very bad investment.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:00 PM

89 posts, read 206,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndon9 View Post
Look toward the hunter rd. Area. Lots of country like housing plans. I grew up in the area and would luv to move back. This is probably the newest part of p.h.(1972)
I grew up in the Hunter Heights area that you refer to, which is arguably one of the safest areas of Penn Hills. I would have no qualms about walking around at night in that area, or anywhere nearby -- including near that housing project on Hulton Road. Still, I would not buy a home in Penn Hills.

My father still lives in the Hunter Heights area, and in a few years will be lucky to sell his house for what he paid for it in 1967. Why? The schools in Penn Hills are abysmal. My brother characterized Linton Middle School as a 'zoo'.

Buy in Plum, for the Plum Borough schools, or in Verona/Oakmont for the Riverview School District schools, or, since house values are down, in Murrysville for the Franklin Regional schools. But not Penn Hills.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:38 PM

10 posts, read 53,830 times
It's a shame that black,white,red,yellow,brown,tan or any other color of people can't learn to live together. Penn Hills is no different than any other area, it's fear of color that makes an area good or bad. Trash is trash no matter what color you are. Penn Hills will thrive when it's people get back to holding the town and school responsible for all the bad things thats going on in our community.RESPONSIBILITY-ACCOUNTABILITY-RESPECT. It's about time they do what we need instead of what they want. If you believe all the negative statements about Penn Hills, try talking to some of us who have not given up on our school or communities and stay because we aren't afraid of colors.....a rainbow is a beautiful sight.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:28 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
Quote:
Trash is trash no matter what color you are. Penn Hills will thrive when it's people get back to holding the town and school responsible for all the bad things thats going on in our community.RESPONSIBILITY-ACCOUNTABILITY-RESPECT.
I sort of agree with you a bad neighbor is a bad neighor regardless of color. However, I don't think it is the town's or school's responsibility for the bad thing, it is the parents. The schools and the police can only do so much, at some point it comes down to being an involved parent.

Penn Hills isn't awful but I think the OP should be aware of the fact that housing prices are not increasing and they may even be decreasing. Frankly, I am amazed at how many houses are for sale in Penn Hills and at how low the prices are.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:07 PM

250 posts, read 359,563 times
That's not a "bad part of town" but the way a lot of the neighborhoods in the city proper are gentrifying, I wouldn't count on it staying that way forever. From a purely financial standpoint I would say baaaad idea.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:22 PM

2 posts, read 4,583 times
Is Newport Square a decent area? With high taxes, association fees and a country club next to it I am thinking it is a nice area. Can anyone advise. TY

Last edited by needaranchhouse1; 12-10-2009 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-10-2009, 06:27 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
You will be near a Big Lots. In my opinion any money invested for a home anywhere in Penn Hills is a losing situation.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:14 PM

141 posts, read 339,412 times
Default Newport Square - Penn Hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by needaranchhouse1 View Post
Is Newport Square a decent area? With high taxes, association fees and a country club next to it I am thinking it is a nice area. Can anyone advise. TY

Newport Square is a nice little development in Penn Hills that tends to be overlooked. Those townhomes were constructed in the early 1990's and I think they have finished building them just a couple of years ago. They command a higher asking price since they are newer, built very well, and have better amenities than the older homes in Penn Hills. The association takes care of all outdoor maintenance which is really nice. That area of Penn Hills is very safe, and people/the association have been maintaining those townhomes/condos very well.

Things I do not like about Newport Square: You have to turn out on to Rodi Road and there is no light at that intersection. It's very dangerous. It's nearly impossible to make a left on Rodi from Duff Road. Rodi Road is traffic jammed all the time. You might hear a lot of traffic depending on the proximity of the townhome to Rodi Road, as those units are rather close to Rodi.

By the looks of your screen name, it appears that you want a ranch level home. I think (I'm not totally sure though) that all of those townhome units are all 2-3 floors. Most of the units require you to park in your garage at ground level, and then walk up a flight of stairs to your first floor. Lugging groceries from the car would be a pain. There are a lot of ranch homes in Penn Hills that you could get for much less money than what you'd pay for a townhome unit in Newport Square.

I personally would not want to spend that kind of money in Penn Hills. Those townhomes have held their value and have even increased over the years, but the rest of the area is unfortunately slowly declining. A two bedroom townhome in Newport Square might cost you around 140K. 140K could buy you an absolutely beautiful home in a nice area of Penn Hills that is 5 times the size of the townhome. You would get a whole lot more bang for your buck if you'd buy a house in Penn Hills.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-13-2009, 09:48 AM

10 posts, read 30,712 times
Stay away from Penn Hills....period. There are many great bedroom communities in Pittsburgh, but this one has been in severe decline for years. Do your research, and welcome! You will love it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh