Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 12:15 PM

570 posts, read 1,411,481 times

Advertisements

I started the topic after reading the Post Gazette story on Pittsburgh's fifth place location on this not so great national ranking. ( Pittsburgh 5th poorest big city, census shows )
The one thing the article mentioned that has always fascinated me is the great discrepancy between city neighborhoods. The relative good economic times being felt in the eastern sections as compared to the negative economic conditions of the Hill District or parts of the North Side to mention a few.
For people living in areas such as Shady side and Squirrel Hill. What negative changes have you noticed that might be associated with this so called city wide 'poor house' ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 12:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Crime and murder increase as poverty increases. These are changes noticed related to poverty. What don't you understand?
The article and the thread were about poverty rates, not crime. I'm not sure why the topic switched to crime. Just wondering.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:26 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,964,308 times
The P-G article was about the median household income, not the poverty level. Pittsburgh's poverty rate does not place it in the top ten. Our median household income is relatively low, so it's two different things, according to the census. From the report, we're not too far off from the average income for this part of the country.

In answer to Rock Lobster's question: as a Shadyside resident, I've seen more good than bad in the last few years. I've seen the old projects in East Liberty torn down and those people moving into more humane and mixed income communnities where everyone takes pride in where they live. I've seen East Liberty begin to morph into a more vibrant area for people who live there and for people from around the city. I've seen incredible development from Oakland to Point Breeze, housing appreciating very well, and lots of plans for new housing and commercial development. I also still see deep pockets of poverty in places like Larimer and Homewood, where a lot of good people are trying to get a handle on things and try to piggyback off the development in nearby East Liberty.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:42 PM

570 posts, read 1,411,481 times
Geeo.
My observations would be the same as your's with me being a shopper and user of the East End. At the very least I think we have a very dynamic situation going on with huge peaks and valley's within the economic ranks of our very own city. And it continues to change rapidly in some sections.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
I stand corrected.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:34 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,541,508 times
Say what you want, but when you tear down projects and give Section 8 vouchers so those people can live in other neighborhoods, all you do is spread the problem. Those people will still be out of work. This area needs JOBS, pure and simple.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:31 AM

632 posts, read 1,739,850 times
I live in the East End, and I've seen signs of growth in the last few years. I can't say I can identify anything happening in or near my neighborhood that indicates more poverty than was there before I moved to Pittsburgh.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:49 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,932,967 times
There is a lady always standing in front of Panera in Squirrel Hill with a sign. It makes me want to away into Cranberry.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:14 PM

803 posts, read 2,969,786 times
I live in Mount Oliver.... the signs are everywhere... abandoned downtown area... thugs on the streets at night.... crazies living in, seemingly, every apartment building....

Old 09-01-2008, 04:23 AM

2 posts, read 2,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by copanut View Post
say what you want, but when you tear down projects and give section 8 vouchers so those people can live in other neighborhoods, all you do is spread the problem. Those people will still be out of work. This area needs jobs, pure and simple.

co-sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh