Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2013, 09:05 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brand03 View Post
No offense but some of you are pretty out of touch with reality. I'm sitting here cracking up at some of the responses. Sure, the Hill District can be a dangerous neighborhood. I work in the Violence Prevention field and have dealt with that area extensively and also have lived in the Sugartop section for several years. However, it is not what it is being made out to be on this forum. You are not going to get dragged out of your car and beat up. Most people are middle or lower income families with the same aspirations as everyone else. I would tell a person not familiar with the neighborhood to avoid the project areas but, other than that, there is nothing to be afraid about. Take a visit to the Hill House, YMCA, and drive through down Wylie Ave to see where the Crawford Grille used to be. Crawford Square and Schenley Heights (Sugartop) are both relatively safe. Visit and get to know some of the actual residents before forming such a strong opinion. Sometimes I think people watch too many movies. And again, no offense, but Uptown Kid, quit it bro. This isn't South Central LA. It isn't so much about gangs in Pittsburgh as it is drug related violence. There are problems but it's not as bad as you make it out to be. Hood 2 Hood and youtube videos aren't always reality.

Welcome Brand and I thank you for bring truthful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I can't be responsible for the accuracy of something I posted in 2007!
Is this forum that old.....my bad

Old 04-07-2013, 09:17 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
WRONG! Crawford Square as much as you refuse to believe it does is part of the Hill the zip code is 15219.
Officially it's not. Colloquially, it may be. In either case, neighborhood boundaries and ZIP code boundaries are not coterminous.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Officially it's not. Colloquially, it may be. In either case, neighborhood boundaries and ZIP code boundaries are not coterminous.

Many people also think that Uptown is part of the Hill and much of their crime statistics are included as well

Old 04-07-2013, 09:32 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Quote:
The hill has strucjk terror in the minds of white people who never been there for years.

White people hear the stories from their police officer neighbors who work at the number two station, and 40 years worth of stories really makes an impression.

Of course, cops mostly deal with the criminal element so they do see a lot of crazy stuff regardless of what community they are in. And these are men, so they are inclined to make the place sound as ominous and dangerous as possible- it makes them sound fearless and impresses the dames.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:37 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,585,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRO Z View Post
Let's reel you back into reality here vpujic...The Hill is one of the most dangerous areas of Pittsburgh, there's 2 active gangs and definetly the largest drug trade in the city residing in that neighborhood...

Some of these young gangsters from the N.Side won't even step foot in the Hill...

Once the street lights come on, NOTHING GOOD HAPPENS IN THE HILL...Unless the Pens are playing that night...

From 2007 until late 2010 I walked through the hill during the day to get home from school, and at night to get home from work.

I'm 5'11", white, and not very imposing. Never heard so much as a peep. Even did so when I had a broken arm in a sling for months in 2009 making me an easy target. People stopped me to ask what happened. No one took advantage. Never felt threatend. Friendlier people than you'll find in a lot of affluent suburbs by far. I don't know what your reality is, but that is mine.

If you're dealing drugs or in a gang the hill can be dangerous. Most people aren't so it really isn't.

If you go back half a dozen pages you can see that I made a similar post in 2011. I see that people are still allowing perception to form their opinions about that neighborhood, as opposed to what its really like.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
White people hear the stories from their police officer neighbors who work at the number two station, and 40 years worth of stories really makes an impression.

Of course, cops mostly deal with the criminal element so they do see a lot of crazy stuff regardless of what community they are in. And these are men, so they are inclined to make the place sound as ominous and dangerous as possible- it makes them sound fearless and impresses the dames.
Hmmm, I never thought of it that way

Old 04-08-2013, 11:07 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,644,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
No one took advantage. Never felt threatend. Friendlier people than you'll find in a lot of affluent suburbs by far. I don't know what your reality is, but that is mine.
Essentially mine too based on going to the YMCA at lunchtime on weekdays. People couldn't be nicer.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
From 2007 until late 2010 I walked through the hill during the day to get home from school, and at night to get home from work.

I'm 5'11", white, and not very imposing. Never heard so much as a peep. Even did so when I had a broken arm in a sling for months in 2009 making me an easy target. People stopped me to ask what happened. No one took advantage. Never felt threatend. Friendlier people than you'll find in a lot of affluent suburbs by far. I don't know what your reality is, but that is mine.

If you're dealing drugs or in a gang the hill can be dangerous. Most people aren't so it really isn't.

If you go back half a dozen pages you can see that I made a similar post in 2011. I see that people are still allowing perception to form their opinions about that neighborhood, as opposed to what its really like.
My mother is 86 years old and has been living on the Hill for the last 39 years and takes walks and no one ever bothered her either. The only probelm that she said that she ever had was her car was broken into by some college kid (they caught him) that did not even live on the Hill. I still remember this 60 something man jogging up Center Ave right through Center and Kirkpatrick with his little baggy shorts through the crowd on a summer afternoon besides the giggles no one paid any attention to him

Old 04-09-2013, 06:59 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,585,967 times
Quote:
My mother is 86 years old and has been living on the Hill for the last 39 years and takes walks and no one ever bothered her either. The only probelm that she said that she ever had was her car was broken into by some college kid (they caught him) that did not even live on the Hill. I still remember this 60 something man jogging up Center Ave right through Center and Kirkpatrick with his little baggy shorts through the crowd on a summer afternoon besides the giggles no one paid any attention to him
It isn't like that just on Center ave either.

I picked a different street every time I walked through the place, even cutting through the side streets, just to see more of the neighborhood. Never a problem. There are some interesting buildings up there. Homes with good bones that need a complete renovation of the interior (gas, water, electric, drywalling, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh