Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-02-2007, 09:20 AM
mjd mjd started this thread
 
14 posts, read 74,037 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

I had been getting excited that Oakmont might be the area for us (local shopping, older homes, smaller community) until I found this article about a home invasion there!

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_489824.html

Is such a crime a freak ocurrence in that community, or is crime there an issue?

Also, in all of the posts lately about commute time/congestion, I am wondering if Oakmont is an area affected by bad traffic into the city.

Thanks alot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-02-2007, 01:19 PM
 
43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Reputation: 30721
It's a freak occurrence that could happen anywhere.

Oakmont is a very nice community.

Traffic isn't too bad if you cross the river and come down Route 28.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2007, 04:38 PM
 
Location: Oakmont
32 posts, read 124,878 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's a freak occurrence that could happen anywhere.

Oakmont is a very nice community.

Traffic isn't too bad if you cross the river and come down Route 28.


ZipCodeStats.com: 15139 Zip Code

Check this out and BTW serious crime is practically non existent in Oakmont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2007, 05:03 PM
 
Location: pittsburgh
325 posts, read 1,077,013 times
Reputation: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by pesach View Post
ZipCodeStats.com: 15139 Zip Code

Check this out and BTW serious crime is practically non existent in Oakmont.
Hopes,
I went to the link provided and found the information interesting.....but I was wondering where is the information concerning the crime in the communities. I may have very well overlooked it. I saw info on the ethnic breakdown and education and so forth, but nothing on crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2007, 05:31 PM
 
43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Reputation: 30721
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspolamalu View Post
Hopes,
I went to the link provided and found the information interesting.....but I was wondering where is the information concerning the crime in the communities. I may have very well overlooked it. I saw info on the ethnic breakdown and education and so forth, but nothing on crime.
I didn't provide that link, pesach simply quoted me.

I couldn't find crime information on the link either.

I suspect that pesach just thought it was interesting information about Oakmont.

If you're interested in crime data for Pittsburgh neighborhoods, I have found some studies with maps showing incidences of various types of crimes. It doesn't have suburban townships though. The Pennsylvania State Police website also has detailed crime data for all areas in the state.

Let me know if you're interested in seeing those, and I'll go find them for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2007, 06:44 PM
 
Location: pittsburgh
325 posts, read 1,077,013 times
Reputation: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I didn't provide that link, pesach simply quoted me.

I couldn't find crime information on the link either.

I suspect that pesach just thought it was interesting information about Oakmont.

If you're interested in crime data for Pittsburgh neighborhoods, I have found some studies with maps showing incidences of various types of crimes. It doesn't have suburban townships though. The Pennsylvania State Police website also has detailed crime data for all areas in the state.

Let me know if you're interested in seeing those, and I'll go find them for you.
I am interested if its not too much trouble. Also where would I find national crime information. Just curious to have something to compare it to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2007, 08:06 PM
 
43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Reputation: 30721
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspolamalu View Post
I am interested if its not too much trouble. Also where would I find national crime information. Just curious to have something to compare it to.
I'll find them for you tomorrow. My son is hogging the computer tonight! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2007, 08:42 PM
 
522 posts, read 1,793,888 times
Reputation: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd View Post

Also, in all of the posts lately about commute time/congestion, I am wondering if Oakmont is an area affected by bad traffic into the city.

Thanks alot!
It depends on your perspective and what you are used to. When my relatives come to visit (they are from a town of about 20,000) they are appalled at the traffic around the city at rush hour. I, on the other hand, don't think that the Oakmont-Pittsburgh commute is bad at all, although Route 28 is one of the few major arteries into the city and thus gets fairly jammed up in the a.m. going in and p.m. going out. Hopes probably has it down to more of a science than I, but I am guessing Oakmont to Pittsburgh via 28 at 8:00 am is going to run you 30 minutes. The Hulton Bridge gets pretty backed up. That's 30 minutes to travel 13 miles. Again, I don't think that's too horrible, but my parents, who travel 13 miles in 13 minutes in their community thinks its awful. It all depends!

Captain

Last edited by CaptainObvious; 07-08-2007 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: So Hopes can tell me it takes only 17 minutes to drive from Oakmont to Pittsburgh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2007, 09:33 PM
 
522 posts, read 1,793,888 times
Reputation: 151
Alright...

before the posts come along telling me it doesn't take a half-hour to drive from Oakmont to Pittsburgh. Let's put it this way...

If I live in Oakmont proper and have to be at work in a downtown office building at 9:00am, I am leaving no later than 8:30, and probably more like 8:20.

So, I am sure you will physically be in your car less than a half-hour, but in "real world" time, It's a half-hour commute, if that makes any sense?!?

Captain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2007, 07:01 PM
 
43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Reputation: 30721
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspolamalu View Post
I am interested if its not too much trouble. Also where would I find national crime information. Just curious to have something to compare it to.
I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you. My son was in the hospital since Tuesday night. (He's okay now.)

Here's the crime study I referenced: http://www.county.allegheny.pa.us/dh...sburgh2006.pdf

Here's the Pennsylvania state police violent crime statistic's website:

Pennsylvania Uniform Crime Reporting System

You might not even be interested in this information anymore. When I was searching for this post of yours, I noticed you might be moving to Nashville.

Congratulations on your job offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top