Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 04:17 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,700 times

Advertisements

I've gotta comment on the hypocrisy on this forum. I can't read a topic posted here without people pissing and moaning about how there are too many white people in Pittsburgh, in the guise of the oft-repeated "not diverse" argument. Then somebody dares to suggest that Hispanic culture might not be for them (I certainly don't have a problem with it, and I never noticed a lot of Mexicans in Portland, but whatever) and they immediately get branded as racist. Maybe it's just me, but it seemed like he was commenting on the Northwest's much-lauded "diversity", which absolutely doesn't exist. And Portland, outside of downtown, is plenty trashy too.

The guy wanted to know about Pittsburgh neighborhoods, not how much it sucks here because somebody was forced to move here against their will. Not naming names, but it gets old after awhile.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Well, s/he did say this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fejman View Post
Thanks for all the responses.

As for racial diversity, we really don't have that in Portland. We have our token blacks, the token Asian, the token Indian and far too many Hispanics. But those are thought and observations for another forum.
Then went on to "explain" with this:

Quote:
As to my snide comment about Hispanics, as a native Oregon for the past 43 years I've have seen first hand a transformation that I don't see as being positive. When every day you open the paper or listen to the news and see the majority of crimes being committed by people with Hispanic surnames, that's just an observation NOT A RACIAL COMMENT.
I think both of the above are racist.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:03 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,054 times
Racist or not,its a fact!

Old 12-11-2008, 12:54 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fejman
As for racial diversity, we really don't have that in Portland. We have our token blacks, the token Asian, the token Indian and far too many Hispanics. But those are thought and observations for another forum.
Quote:
As of 2000, there are 529,121 people residing in the city, organized into 223,737 households and 118,356 families. The population density is 3,939.2 people per square mile (1,521/km²). There are 237,307 housing units at an average density of 1,766.7/sq mi (682.1/km²). The racial makeup of the city is 77.91% White, 6.64% African American, 6.33% Asian, 1.06% Native American, 0.38% Pacific Islander, 3.55% from other races, and 4.15% from two or more races. 6.81% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race. 15.3% were of German, 8.9% Irish and 8.8% English ancestry according to Census 2000. 83.3% spoke English, 5.6% Spanish, 2.0% Vietnamese and 1.3% Russian as their first language.
Portland, Oregon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by fejman
As to my snide comment about Hispanics, as a native Oregon for the past 43 years I've have seen first hand a transformation that I don't see as being positive. When every day you open the paper or listen to the news and see the majority of crimes being committed by people with Hispanic surnames, that's just an observation NOT A RACIAL COMMENT.
no, it's definitely stereotyping. you're taking your perception, true or not, in Portland and and assuming that it applies to the whole world. that, my friend, is exactly what racism is, or at least how it starts. In Philadelphia, where most of my experiences come from, hispanics aren't involved in crimes that much. most crimes you see on the news are committed by blacks. Hispanics tend to keep to themselves, probably for fear they'll run into people like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Then somebody dares to suggest that Hispanic culture might not be for them (I certainly don't have a problem with it, and I never noticed a lot of Mexicans in Portland, but whatever) and they immediately get branded as racist.
hispanics aren't mexican, but mexicans are hispanics. hispanics can be anyone from latin countries and of any race, though frequently mixed race. It may not have been racist, but it was certainly ignorant. Probably like some anglo-saxons once said about the stupid poles, bloody papists, and greasy Italians flooding the neighborhoods of Pittsburgh.

still, creeps, to your last comment, pittsburgh is actually less white than Portland
Quote:
The largest groups in terms of race were 67.63% White, 27.12% African American, 2.75% Asian, and 1.32% Hispanic (of any race)
Pittsburgh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
here's Philadelphia, as a reference
Quote:
As of the 2004 Census estimations, there were 1,463,281 people, 658,799 housing units, and the racial makeup of the city was 43.2% African American, 45.0% White, 5.5% Asian, 0.3% Native American, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 5.8% from other races, and 2.2% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 8.5% of the population.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia

it's pretty obvious portland isn't nearly as diverse. it's mainly know for progressive/leftist views and white trash, back east.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:58 PM

42 posts, read 114,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I think both of the above are racist.
Christ, people come here whining all the time about how Pittsburgh has far too many white people, or not enough "diversity". If the OP's statement was considered racist, logic demands that those statements be considered racist as well.

Where's the outrage, Katiana?

Old 12-11-2008, 01:04 PM

42 posts, read 114,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
no, it's definitely stereotyping. you're taking your perception, true or not, in Portland and and assuming that it applies to the whole world. that, my friend, is exactly what racism is, or at least how it starts. In Philadelphia, where most of my experiences come from, hispanics aren't involved in crimes that much. most crimes you see on the news are committed by blacks. Hispanics tend to keep to themselves, probably for fear they'll run into people like you.
Gee, I thought the OP said that he felt Portland had far too many Hispanics. I didn't realize that we were talking about the merits of Hispanics in Philadelphia.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:52 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staash View Post
Gee, I thought the OP said that he felt Portland had far too many Hispanics. I didn't realize that we were talking about the merits of Hispanics in Philadelphia.
Why would I talk about hispanics in portland? he implied hispanics commit crimes, wouldn't that mean hispanics in Philadelphia? most of my experience is there and it's contrary to the OP, therefore relevant. And who mentioned the merits of hispanics? please read before posting.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Portland, Oregon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

hispanics aren't mexican, but mexicans are hispanics. hispanics can be anyone from latin countries and of any race, though frequently mixed race. It may not have been racist, but it was certainly ignorant. Probably like some anglo-saxons once said about the stupid poles, bloody papists, and greasy Italians flooding the neighborhoods of Pittsburgh.

still, creeps, to your last comment, pittsburgh is actually less white than Portland

Pittsburgh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
here's Philadelphia, as a reference

Philadelphia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

it's pretty obvious portland isn't nearly as diverse. it's mainly know for progressive/leftist views and white trash, back east.
White trash? That's a racist term.

Edit- I also wasn't really using Hispanic/Mexican interchangebly. Most Hispanics on the West Coast come from Mexico. Correct me if I'm wrong, I really don't feel like pulling up the statistics. Apologies to all the Salvadoreans and Colombians and Venezuelans and Peruvians and people from Guatemala.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staash View Post
Christ, people come here whining all the time about how Pittsburgh has far too many white people, or not enough "diversity". If the OP's statement was considered racist, logic demands that those statements be considered racist as well.

Where's the outrage, Katiana?
Precisely the point of my post. "Diversity" is such a smokescreen. How about diversity of thought?

Old 12-11-2008, 08:56 PM

5 posts, read 15,850 times
Regent Square has lovely homes with mature landscaping. It's close to Frick Park. There is a small commercial district with coffee shop, Square One Cafe, deli, Noodle Hut , and other businesses. There is a "art" movie house that shows indies and retro flicks. Art Galleries, antiques shop. A short drive away is Edgewood Town Center, which has Giant Eagle Supermarket, and other shops, including dollar store, radio shack, K-mart, etc. Also close by is Constuction Junction, which has all kinds of recycled materials if you are re doing a place..or just need a quick office chair. A food co - op also nearby. Many young professionals, I see folks walking up and down this neighborhood with kids, dogs, and each other. This is less traffic-ky than Squirrel Hill, a little quieter. You must check it out, along with Point Breeze, both are really, really lovely...there are many nice places in the city though..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh