Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2008, 09:10 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,228,484 times

Advertisements

PNC Park and Heinz Field each had their groundbreakings in 1999. In the nine years, we have seen two new office buildings, a hotel, a parking garage, landscaping, and the ongoing construction of the light rail spine slated to open in three years. There have been plans for an entertainment center/amphitheater near Heinz Field since 2001, yet we have seen nothing but a sea of parking. There were also plans for housing by Continental Real Estate near PNC Park, yet nothing after nine years. Housing is crucial in order to create a new "neighborhood" as was promoted by Continental when they were chosen as developer nearly a decade ago.
Don't get me wrong, I am happy with what has been built, especially when compared to what was built around Three Rivers Stadium after thirty years, which was nothing. PNC Park is amazing and the area on Federal Street on game days is vibrant. I know that two more hotels are in the planning process.
However, when one looks at the development that Soffer has done at South Side Works in an equal or even less amount of time, the North Shore pales in comparison. I do understand that Soffer had the added advantage of the hustling and bustling South Side neighborhood, plus relative proximity to the densely populated areas of Oakland and Squirrel Hill.
I still feel that given all that readily developable space along the river, between two modern stadiums, adjacent to Downtown, there should be more real estate occupied by buildings rather than parking lots. More parking garages are needed. Vast parking lots are for the suburbs. That area needs an urban density like South Side Works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 07:54 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,962,766 times
To my untrained eye, it looks like there are too many cooks in the kichen on North Shore development. You have the URA, the Rooneys. the Pirates, the developer, and the neighborhoods abutting the development that all want a say in what's built. It's not easy working with the Steelers organization, as they demand breaks and subsidies for whatever they want to do near there. Actually, considering how many people have been involved, I guess all the development that has already happened is a good thing.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:16 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,228,484 times
Default Rooneys

I do not want to badmouth the Rooney Family. I have a lot of respect for them and what they stand for. But they have been disappointing in their plans to help develop the North Shore. They've done a good job of trying to derail other plans though. Heinz Field is as spartan as it gets. Even on nights when there is no game at PNC Park, it looks beautiful with those blue lights. Heinz Field is totally dark. I would like to see some ornamental lights strung across the top of Heinz Field. I understand that the Rooneys have a conservative, understated manner, but it does nothing for the vitality of the North Shore.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:40 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,627,786 times
I'm not impressed with the North Shore really. It seems geared too much toward sports. There is not much in the way of retail or entertainment.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:36 AM

85 posts, read 519,856 times
Just wait until the slots parlor opens up.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:20 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,931,980 times
I went to the Pitt game saturday, and spent most of the time standing on the 5th level looking out at the sea of parking lots wishing other things were out there.

I have a feeling the light rail extension and station will push further developement when that gets done. I was really hoping for this music venue that is suppose to be between Hienz Field and PNC Park. That will help bring other forms of entertainment to this section other than Kevin Chesney.

I am not a fan of having large football stadiums next to a downtown area. I am with baseball parks though. With football parks comes large buildings that are only used about 16 times with the NFL and also Pitt games, and also giant sea of parking lots that use up very valuable space. In Denver and Philly their Football fields are pushed further off into town away from downtown. We should have put ours on a large brownfield space further from downtown, and let this area next to downtown for development.

Baseball parks are nice near downtown. They are used a lot more, and can offer great aestetics with better architecture. (football fields are always ugly, as they are used more for function). Coors field in Denver located in LoDo was a perfect feel for that neighborhood. PNC right across from downtown is a great location.

Just my opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh