Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 08:56 PM

6 posts, read 16,350 times

Advertisements

Hi! My boyfriend and I just moved to Pittsburgh a couple months ago (originally from Buffalo, NY/coming back from a 2 yr stint in FL). We have just gotten settled with our new jobs and apartment and now need to find our "spots" and of course the opportunity to meet new ppl. We live in Edgewood. We are 26 & 29 yrs old. No kids. We love indie music. i'm sick of googling, i want real answers from real pittsburghers. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 09:36 PM

89 posts, read 536,734 times
Hello,
My husband and I are not currently living in Pittsburgh although we are planning the move mid spring. We are 25 and 27, have two kids - Emma-5 and Judah-3. We also enjoy Indie music and were hoping to meet some cool people as well. My husband is a musician- he was interested in starting or playing in a band when we get to the area. We listen to a whole slew of stuff, have been really into Murder by death lately, I can't seem to get enough of "old" Modest mouse and ugly cassanova. Our interests range from old Misfits stuff to Johnny Cash to John Coletrane. What are you listening to these days?

Old 09-08-2008, 11:18 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,228,484 times
Default Indie music

Pittsburgh has a lot of good indie bands. There is a scene here. There just are not as many venues as there used to be that cater to the indie crowd as there were in the 80s and early 90s. The South Side has over one hundred drinking establishments, but only a few cater to the indie crowd. The Club Cafe on 12th Street on the SouthSide gets a lot of indie type bands. The Smiling Moose gets punk bands. Lava lounge, Tiki bar and Z Lounge tend to have a clientele that likes indie. Most bars on the South Side are after the early 20s crowd who tend to worry more about hooking up with hip hop being played in the background. There is a fanzine called City Paper that is free. It comes out every Wednesday and can be found in stores and eateries all throughout Pittsburgh. There is a ton of info on entertainment options.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:55 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,801,316 times
Hang out at Brillobox

Oh yeah, and the City Paper is good. I recommend it as well

Last edited by dugdogmaster; 09-09-2008 at 01:09 AM..

Old 09-09-2008, 05:26 AM

911 posts, read 2,374,732 times
myspace is a great way to find bands in pittsburgh
you can see where they are playing and ususlly got a few songs so you can sample

www.myspace.com/bbrian12
i have quite a few local bands on there and a bunch of pittsburgh and pa
band sites and bars you can find local bands on there

places in the south hills that usually have decent bands
the baldwin backdraft
rpm's
the loose moose saloon
royal place
the grove
loose moose on the south side
excuses
31 street pub

i also recommend the city paper
i get one every wednesday for many years

Old 09-09-2008, 05:35 AM

911 posts, read 2,374,732 times
check
http://pollstar.com/tour/searchall.p...artSearch.y=12

for local music listings

Old 09-09-2008, 02:03 PM

6 posts, read 16,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skhimmelreich View Post
Hello,
My husband and I are not currently living in Pittsburgh although we are planning the move mid spring. We are 25 and 27, have two kids - Emma-5 and Judah-3. We also enjoy Indie music and were hoping to meet some cool people as well. My husband is a musician- he was interested in starting or playing in a band when we get to the area. We listen to a whole slew of stuff, have been really into Murder by death lately, I can't seem to get enough of "old" Modest mouse and ugly cassanova. Our interests range from old Misfits stuff to Johnny Cash to John Coletrane. What are you listening to these days?
You can't go wrong with old modest mouse! :-) Today on this rainy day I busted out some old ...and you will know us by the trail of dead. "Source tags & codes" is so lovely. I've recently started listening to Frightened Rabbit which is very good. If you have myspace you can check out my playlist I created, has a good mix of things I like. (myspace.com/bornslippy). What brings you guys to Pittsburgh?

Btw, thank you all for the replies, we do check out the city paper occasionally, it's way better than Orlando's version "orlando weekly". Horrid. (example: Subway was voted #1 for Best subs. ARE YOU KIDDING ME????)

So who's the best local indie band around here? Opinions?

Old 09-09-2008, 04:29 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,801,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornslippy23 View Post
Btw, thank you all for the replies, we do check out the city paper occasionally, it's way better than Orlando's version "orlando weekly". Horrid. (example: Subway was voted #1 for Best subs. ARE YOU KIDDING ME????)
Ha!

Old 09-09-2008, 10:46 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,710,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornslippy23 View Post
You can't go wrong with old modest mouse! :-) Today on this rainy day I busted out some old ...and you will know us by the trail of dead. "Source tags & codes" is so lovely. I've recently started listening to Frightened Rabbit which is very good. If you have myspace you can check out my playlist I created, has a good mix of things I like. (myspace.com/bornslippy). What brings you guys to Pittsburgh?

So who's the best local indie band around here? Opinions?
I don't go out much anymore, but it seems like you're looking for the brillobox. It's about as indie-rock as Pittsburgh gets.

everybody else is doing it: myspace.com/creepsinc

Old 09-10-2008, 05:39 AM

803 posts, read 2,969,383 times
Yeah, the Carson Street bars like the Tiki have decent bands as does the Moose... City Paper.... blah blah blah... it's pretty much the same here as in Buffalo, except the names of the bars and publications are different.... but in most cities, to get plugged in, just go to the bars and ask around to people who look like they'd like the same kinds of things you like.... that's really the best way to get the info from 'credible" sources...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh