Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 07:05 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,909,555 times

Advertisements

Here is a question. I am leaving for vacation, thank god, tomorrow morning. I usually go to the Smallman st. deli on Saturday or Sunday for eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, and coffee. It is good for the price, and nice to eat, drink coffee, and read the paper.

I am leaving early. What is open at 6 AM in squirrel Hill? I don't think smallman st. is. Please don't tell me I have to deal with Eat'n park n at. I hate that place. I once sat down for 25 minutes at the bar area, never got handed a menu, asked for a cup of coffee, and finally just got up and left. The service there is horrible, and the food sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 06:31 PM

165 posts, read 660,322 times
Panera on Murray?? Maybe.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:36 PM

29,625 posts, read 34,077,569 times
It's not Squirrel Hill, but there's always Ritter's.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:20 AM

70 posts, read 333,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVYinzer View Post
Isn't Perkins a chain? I'd really like to find a mom and pop kind of place. Anywhere like that in Wexford or Cranberry? Preferably no farther north than Cranberry since I work downtown.
Perkin's is a chain. But compared to other chain family restaurants, imo they're the closest to a mom and pop type. Good grubs, too.

For a mom and pop kind of place, you can try Isaly's restaurant in Perrysville (448 Perry Hwy, Pittsburgh, PA). Breakfast is yum, lunch menu selection (cheeseburger, gyro platter, etc.) is tasty too. When I lived in Perrysville, I used to go there religiously on Sunday morning after church, as well as Sat morning.

Don't forget to pick up Isaly's chipped ham and a loaf of bread too.

While you're there, go across the street to Schorr bakery. It's a mom and pop bakery. Their pastry is to die for.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:19 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,938,284 times
I've never understood why there are those loooong lines to get into Pamela's on the weekends. It's decent food, but nothing special. If you're wanting simple breakfast fare like that I would suggest Sunrise Cafe in Lawrenceville over Pamela's any day.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:52 AM

285 posts, read 857,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's not Squirrel Hill, but there's always Ritter's.
totally agree! ritters is one of my favorites in the city. it's great for classic, greasy spoon, diner style food. another good one is red oak cafe on forbes in oakland.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:29 PM

3 posts, read 8,692 times
Village Dairy is gone, but J&J's on the corner of Shiloh and Virginia serves a decent breakfast. And Michelle's Diner in Allentown is great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh