Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2008, 10:18 AM

68 posts, read 246,155 times

Advertisements

this is probably a personal question but any ideas are welcome

I'm currently working in Pittsburgh but my job sucks recently and I hate working here. so I'm looking for a new one.

the reasons to go to ny is that.
1.exciting, a lot of art venues and activities that i like and those are related to my field.
2. a lot of job opportunities.
3. potential to find some eligible well-educated singles
the draw back is it's too expensive to live there, don't want to live with roommates any more.and for my field, we're not paid higher in NY.

the reason to stay in pittsburgh
1. I've just come up a business idea that will probably work...in pittsburgh
2. I've got to know this area now and have some friends here
3. so cheap to own a house here
the draw back thing is there's not a lot of well-educated singles in their 30s in Pgh. and not a lot of job opportunities.

should I stick to pgh and work out my business ideas in Pgh or should I go for a job in NY? (it's probably easier to find a job in NY for now) thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 10:39 AM

59 posts, read 220,752 times
Only you can answer that. I love Pittsburgh, but if I ever got filthy rich I would move to NYC. But, I would have to be FILTHY rich to do it.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:51 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
The basic lifestyle issue is that NYC is really, really expensive, but also an absolutely unique city in ways some people find very appealing. So only you can decide if what NYC offers is worth the price. Similarly, only you are really in a position to decide what makes the most sense as far as work is concerned.

By the way, I've had lots of single friends in NYC, and it doesn't quite strike me as a romantic paradise. The problem they encountered is basically the other side of the coin to there being so many "fish in the sea"--it was hard to make the transition from a couple initial dates to a serious relationship because people were always looking around for something better. Again, though, that might not be a bad thing if you aren't particularly looking for a serious relationship anyway.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:27 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,496,662 times
I gotta say...I love NYC. I think it's one of the best cities in the world. Living there isn't like what it's like in the movies, though. My friend moved there almost a year ago for a job. He, STILL, doesn't have any steady friends and has a hard time meeting people (especially for relationships). Brian is correct...people have a mentality to look for something better because there are so many people living there.

I did have friends that moved there for college and they love it and made friends and everything...but that's college...where everyone is looking for friends. I guess it depends on where you'll work, and if there are other transplants looking for friends and stuff. A lot of his coworkers are NYers and they come in from NJ and the other boroughs for work and that's it. Let us know what you decide!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh