Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 07:03 AM

7 posts, read 50,590 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be visiting Pittsburgh for the first time in a few weeks. Can anyone suggest a few nice hotels to stay in preferably in the downtown area? It would be great to be within walking distance of a few nice restaurants/bars/shops etc. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 09:25 AM

1,360 posts, read 2,939,679 times
The Priory on the Northside is an upscale Inn that is very nice. Its close enough to downtown to walk. The Northside can be a little intimidating at night however- but not so much around the hotel. The Hilton is right at "The Point" of downtown and it is a good option. The Westin on the East edge of downtown is a popular option - modern facility and a little less expensive. The Radisson on 6th Ave. has been recently renovated and it might give you the most bang for the buck. My favorite hotel however is the Omni William Penn (the name has been changed recently but I think thats mostly correct). It is a old style full service hotel with an elegant dining room and is right in the center of town. The Sheraton , at Station Square on the South Side offers lots to do- its kind of a party hub in the city, and its close to Carson street which is one of our primary party streets. If you want a quiet, convenient, elegant place I would look at the Omni William Penn first. For ambiance but less convenience I would look at the Priory (its priced reasonably). For convenience but less ambiance, and less cost, I would go with any of the other three that I mentioned. Have fun!

Old 02-06-2007, 10:08 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,636,560 times
For a traditional hotel in the the downtown/northside area, the Renaissance Fulton Pittsburgh Hotel wins hands down. I like it much better than the Hilton, the William Penn or the Doubletree. The views of the river and the stadiums are beautiful and the rooms are the best in Pittsburgh. Here's the website: http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/PITBR

If you'd like a bed and breakfast, try the Morning Glory in Southside. Southside is a sort of artsy place with a lively nightlife. Here's the Morning Glory link: http://www.morningglorybedandbreakfast.com/

Another bed and breakfast worth trying is Sunnyledge in Shadyside. You'll be able to walk to Shadyside, Squirrel Hill and Oakland from there. http://sunnyledge.com/

Although I'm not familiar with the following, The Inn on Negley looks beautiful. It must be in the Highland Park area so make sure you plan to drive to where you want to visit. http://www.theinnsonnegley.com/

If you'd like to stay away from the city, the better places to stay at an affordable rate are in the Robinson area towards the airport. Let me know and I'll make some suggestions.

Old 02-06-2007, 10:56 AM

Thanks so much . . .I like the idea of getting the most "bang for the buck" and will be sure to check all of these out!

Old 02-06-2007, 11:47 AM

Default Raddison=Doubletree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
For a traditional hotel in the the downtown/northside area, the Renaissance Fulton Pittsburgh Hotel wins hands down.
Yes, I forgot about the Renaissance Fulton. I hear it is very nice. I believe the Raddison I wrote about is now called the Doubletree as Hopes mentioned. Maybe Hopes can confirm. It is a banal red brick building on the outside, but nicely remodeled inside.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
Yes, I forgot about the Renaissance Fulton. I hear it is very nice.
It's absolutely beautiful. The lobby is stunning. The rooms are luscious.

The Hilton's rooms are small and bland. The William Penn needs a full renovation in my opinion.

Quote:
I believe the Raddison I wrote about is now called the Doubletree as Hopes mentioned.
It appears that we're both wrong. It used to be an Omni hotel, now it's a Westin. (The William Penn used to be a Westin and now it's an Omni. Who knows why they traded owners.) We're both talking about the hotel on Penn Avenue next to Federated Investors and across from the Federal Building, right?

Quote:
Maybe Hopes can confirm. It is a banal red brick building on the outside, but nicely remodeled inside.
That description sounds like the William Penn between Liberty Avenue and Mellon Park. The one next to the Federated Investors is a relatively new hotel that was built in the 80s. It's a peach colored stone building. Or are you thinking of the Pittsburgh Marriot City Center next to USX? That's a bland brick building on the outside. I've been in those rooms too. They're nothing to write home about.

If I had to pick an order of preference, it would be 1) Renaissance Fulton; 2) Omni William Penn; 3) a tie for Westin or Hilton (Westin has better rooms, Hilton has a better view); and last 4) Marriot City Center. I won't even rank the Sharaton at Station Square: The place is a complete dump.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:49 PM

" Or are you thinking of the Pittsburgh Marriot City Center next to USX? That's a bland brick building on the outside. I've been in those rooms too. They're nothing to write home about. "

Hopes- I mean up the hill from USX, as if one is headed towards the Arena. It is on 6th Ave. as it bends to the south before heading under the Mellon Client Services Center. 'Has a health club in it. I think that it is now a Raddison (may have been a Marriot prior- these chains are always changing hands lol!). I know the owner/developer and they are a class act. They just completed a full renovation.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:25 PM

I just booked at the Renaissance Fulton - it looks gorgeous. I thought the Omni William Penn was stunning but they had no rooms available. Surprisingly, the Renaissance Fulton rates are only $150/night - less than the William Penn. Stevo6 - Are you thinking of the Renaissance Fulton? It is located at 107 6th Street - in the classic Fulton Building (not sure what that is).
Thanks again for the help, and one last question: All of these restaurants are close to the hotel and I would like to know which one you all think is the best - Palomino, Morton's, Dowe's on Ninth, Ciao Baby, and the hotel's restaurant is called Opus- I think. We'll be in Pitt. for two nights and we love to eat out and drink good wine. Any and all opinions are welcome in regards to restaurants, attractions, and things to do etc.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:47 PM

632 posts, read 1,733,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomer843 View Post
Thanks again for the help, and one last question: All of these restaurants are close to the hotel and I would like to know which one you all think is the best - Palomino, Morton's, Dowe's on Ninth, Ciao Baby, and the hotel's restaurant is called Opus- I think.
I've eaten at Morton's and the food was fabulous. I haven't eaten at any of the others, so I can't speak to how it stacks up against the other restaurants you mention.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdivisions View Post
I've eaten at Morton's and the food was fabulous. I haven't eaten at any of the others, so I can't speak to how it stacks up against the other restaurants you mention.
I've eated at the Palomino and the Opus. Both have delicious food and nice atmosphere.

There are some other downtown restaurants you haven't mentioned that I enjoy. I'll try to remember the names.

Are you only interested in eating downtown? Would you be interested in catching a limo from the hotel up to Mt. Washington (spactacular view of the city) or into Oakland for a super special dinner?

(Limos outside the downtown hotels are cheaper than taxis.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh