Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 06:37 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times

Advertisements

As I understood it, the original question was what object would you send to someone to represent Pittsburgh. I've been thinking about it, and it is a really tough question because Pittsburgh is very much defined by things you can't send--its bridges, its hills and ravines, its parks, its large variety of neighborhoods, its long and complex history, and so on. I'm tempted to say one should just send a good picture, or maybe a picture book, but that is kinda a copout.

So without further explanation, here is what I would send: a nice glazed brick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 05:29 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,801,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
As I understood it, the original question was what object would you send to someone to represent Pittsburgh. I've been thinking about it, and it is a really tough question because Pittsburgh is very much defined by things you can't send--its bridges, its hills and ravines, its parks, its large variety of neighborhoods, its long and complex history, and so on. I'm tempted to say one should just send a good picture, or maybe a picture book, but that is kinda a copout.

So without further explanation, here is what I would send: a nice glazed brick.
A glazed brick? Ha! I get it though, that's an awesome idea.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:00 AM

70 posts, read 335,910 times
We do have a damn good NHL hockey team called the Penguins..... A simple black Penguins t-shirt with #66 on the back would be the greatest gift.

Now, if you're sending it to a Detroit address, make sure you stuff it with pierogies and lots of onion and butter.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:52 AM

149 posts, read 608,261 times
Things I treasure from Pittsburgh that I've actually received:

Steelers Jerseys (Bettis & Polamalu)
Terrible Towels ('regular' and Myron Cope special edition)
A jar of Islay's barbecue sauce (a gift I actually dragged back here in my carry-on before the restrictions)
Steelers Hard Hat
A Penguins T-shirt when they beat the MN North Stars (quite a few years ago, but I wore it on 'casual Friday' much to the dismay of my serious North Star fan boss!)
Our local (Oakdale UP) church's cookbook
Pittsburghese coffee cups
... and my favorite - Plane Tickets back to the 'Burgh!

(I wouldn't mind a glazed brick either!)

Old 09-17-2008, 08:27 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,321,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clouded View Post
The Empire State Building
The Golden Gate Bridge

Why? The steel came from Pittsburgh?

What else?

People: Andy Warhal, Dean Martin, Mr. Rogers, Jimmy Stewart, Cristina Aguilera, Dennis Miller, Michael Keaton, George Benson, Billy Eckstine, Gene Kelly, Roy Eldridge, Jeff Goldblum, Demi Moore, Trent Reznor.

Facts: The Big Mac, The First City to distribute A/C (alternating current power), The Ferris Wheel, The First World Series, The Banana Split, The first "Nickelodeon" Motion picture theater, US first baseball stadium (Forbes Field), First Gas Station, Daylight Savings, First Zippo Lighter, First Polio Vaccine, first TV Station, The Pull Tab Can, First Auditorium with a retractable roof, First Robotics Institute.

Who knew right??
I thought Dean Martin was from Stubenville?

Old 09-17-2008, 12:33 PM

629 posts, read 901,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
I thought Dean Martin was from Stubenville?
He was

Old 09-17-2008, 12:35 PM

629 posts, read 901,081 times
Demi Moore was not from the Burgh either. Jimmy Stewart was from Indiana County.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:07 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,321,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welder View Post
He was
Thanks, I thought so. I just watched a documentary about him and it mentioned he was born and raised in Stubenville.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Daylight Savings Time? Explain please.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:15 PM

142 posts, read 406,457 times
Western PAs best kept secret...a lot of Pittsburghers dont even know about it is Maples in Ambridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh