Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2008, 03:27 PM

17 posts, read 49,087 times

Advertisements

I suppose this is more of a vent of mild frustration than an earnest question, but I'd appreciate some ideas here. Granted, I've had several successful jobs before, so it's not like I don't know what I'm doing, but since I a) just moved to town two weeks ago from Dallas and have no clue what's around and b) have no car to drive around and look for places, I'm a little bit stumped on where to work. So far, I've discovered that most places in downtown close unusually early, which doesn't help me since I'm at Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre training from 8am to 3-4pm Mon-Sat. And for that same 8am time I am also hesitant to get a job that will have me working till 2am in the morning. And of course, as I said before, lack of transportation other the bus and hoofing it limits my area to some degree. If it helps, I live on the north shore in Allegheny West neighborhood, two streets behind Heinz Field, avalability is probably from around 5pm-midnight or so, can do more hours on the weekend though. So, heh, any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 11:18 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,803,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWO109 View Post
I suppose this is more of a vent of mild frustration than an earnest question, but I'd appreciate some ideas here. Granted, I've had several successful jobs before, so it's not like I don't know what I'm doing, but since I a) just moved to town two weeks ago from Dallas and have no clue what's around and b) have no car to drive around and look for places, I'm a little bit stumped on where to work. So far, I've discovered that most places in downtown close unusually early, which doesn't help me since I'm at Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre training from 8am to 3-4pm Mon-Sat. And for that same 8am time I am also hesitant to get a job that will have me working till 2am in the morning. And of course, as I said before, lack of transportation other the bus and hoofing it limits my area to some degree. If it helps, I live on the north shore in Allegheny West neighborhood, two streets behind Heinz Field, avalability is probably from around 5pm-midnight or so, can do more hours on the weekend though. So, heh, any ideas?
You can get pretty much get anywhere in the city with ease on the PAT bus. I would check out the South Side, South Side Works, Station Square, Oakland, Shady Side and Squirrel Hill. Most businesses in these neighborhoods are looking for part time workers, are aware of all the college kids in town needing and wanting work, and are usually pretty graceful with the hours you want to work. When I attended Pitt I worked at The Original Hot Dog Shop in Oakland, usually from 3 or 4pm to midnight, and they were very understanding that I was a student and needed to study and attend classes. Good luck

You may also want to invest in a bike, they come in handy in this city.

Oh! One more thing, since you're Downtown, check into just being a part time receptionist or secretary for any one of the thousands of the businesses in those towers. Try getting in with a cleaning agency, they work after office hours, which would be good for you. Try a temp agency too. And check the local paper's want adds. And the City Paper is filled with awesome info and want adds, and is FREE!

Last edited by dugdogmaster; 09-12-2008 at 11:30 PM..

Old 09-14-2008, 10:24 AM

great ideas, thanks! It just struck me as odd at how early downtown shuts down...does anyone else think that odd? Does no one live downtown or go there to eat/nightlife?

Old 09-14-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
great ideas, thanks! It just struck me as odd at how early downtown shuts down...does anyone else think that odd? Does no one live downtown or go there to eat/nightlife?
It's a problem they're trying to solve. People are starting to move into downtown with all the new loft renovations and couple of new high rise residentials they just built. Other than if there is a play or musical performance in the theatre district, or an art gallery opening, there isn't much going on downtown. There's a couple pizza joints and convenience stores open pretty late, but not 24/7. There's plenty of restaurants downtown, as I'm sure you've found out already, but they close anywhere from around 10 to midnight.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:35 AM

WOW!!! I spent yesterday walking all over downtown looking for jobs (and with some success), but I was absolutely struck with how beautiful everything it down there! So many ornate, historic buildings, with lush plants and obvious forethought. Why would anyone consider Pittsburgh "unsavory" for business or living with all that elegance? Hell, if I'm ever a wealthy business tycoon looking to relocate my home office, Pitts gonna be at the top of the list.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
WOW!!! I spent yesterday walking all over downtown looking for jobs (and with some success), but I was absolutely struck with how beautiful everything it down there! So many ornate, historic buildings, with lush plants and obvious forethought. Why would anyone consider Pittsburgh "unsavory" for business or living with all that elegance? Hell, if I'm ever a wealthy business tycoon looking to relocate my home office, Pitts gonna be at the top of the list.
Because it's "Hell with the lid off," and full of soot, and smoke, and smog and a dirty steel town Sarcasm intended folks

Old 09-22-2008, 06:02 AM

thought I'd add my own little tour of the city...absolutely stunning, if you ask me...Pittsburghers need to cheer up and realize they are surrounded by a really awesome place, even if it does have it's foibles (and what place doesn't?)

Photos - This is what's less than a mile away from my apt. | Facebook

Old 09-22-2008, 06:15 AM

Cool photos, thanks for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh